Trying to Recall Daughters First Ride From 2018

Dumbo?

That was our first one when my sister was 3 and I was 8. Way back when there was one ride, NO FP+ (even legacy FP had not been invented yet) and no shade in the queue. And it was LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!

But we survived - proving that you CAN survive a long line with kids without FP+.

Thats awesome. My first trip was Nov 1971! I remember… nothing. But from the fuzzy pics, I had a great time, lol.

1976 trip, def remember! Gotta love pop up campers, Fort Wilderness, and soap on a rope!

And my best memory with my Dad, watching my favorite movie, Marry Poppins, at the Fort Wilderness campfire :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh man my family and friends had the best games to play while in lines in amusement parks - was actually part of the bonding time :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Absolutely THIS!!! I still try and talk and connect with people in line these days, and it doesn’t go quite as well, lol.

1 Like

Ok, so after going over all the data and photos and spreadsheets… the first ride WAS Barnstormer!!! Crazy!!!

Thanks to everyone for helping me jog my memory and figure it out!!!

And if anyone cares, 2nd was Teacups, THEN Small World :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Oh cool!!

Mine was about 10 years later. I’d thought I was 8, but that would have meant we’d only been at the church where my dad was christian educator/youth minister for a few months, so it might have been 81. (I’d also thought Epcot was open, but that would have made my sister 6 at least, and I know she was younger than that - so I think Epcot was the first church family trip.) I do specifically remember that we looked at Tom Sawyer Island and asked what it was - I don’t think we wanted to go over there - but my dad said it cost extra. HAHA!

The best memory of that trip (and why I know my sister wasn’t 6) was when we went to the Haunted Mansion. We were the first people at the door after they’d stopped the line. The CM banged on the door as he opened it and my dad jumped a bit. We got in the stretching room, and my dad picked my sister up. Well, the CM found us and moved behind my dad and banged the wall before he started his spiel. My dad jumped again and dropped my sister. :rofl::rofl::rofl: It sounds much more dramatic than it was - she really just slid down his body. But it was still funny.

2 Likes

It may have, I’m not sure
That was in the ticket book days, so riding the raft to get there might have taken a ticket.

Edit: never mind, 81 was when the ticket books were gone. Your dad was a liar. :wink: Good for him!

1 Like

It was his first time to Disney World. He had been to land when he was younger when it was the ticket book. I think he honestly thought it was - either that or he just didn’t want to take us. At any rate we believed him. Up until my sister started working at Disney World (she was at Disney Springs in World of Disney, but she still had Traditions and all those classes). She called home and said “IT DOES NOT COST EXTRA!!!” and then had to explain what she was talking about.

2 Likes

My mom and aunt are convinced their first ride was Space Mountain at Disneyland…in 1971. I have no idea what they actually rode :joy:

Maybe The Matterhorn?

They don’t have the Matterhorn at WDW, just at DL. Didn’t you say your trip was to WDW?

I was going to guess the same.

Hi Kitty,

No, I was responding to meekomist. The way the forum does replies is not clear, sorry! She was talking about her mom and DL.

I have determined Ava’s first ride was Barnstormer :slight_smile:

I’m glad you figured it out! Come to think of it, I don’t really remember my kids’ first ride either…but we were in Epcot. I know they all did Turtle Talk with Crush as our first FP but I don’t know if that counts as a “ride.”

All 3 of my kids first ride was Astro Orbiter followed by Space Mountain for my biggest 2 and then People Mover after that for all.

Totally understandable. We went this January and I had to think about it for a few minutes before remembering what ride our kids’ first one was. Spaceship Earth.