Trouser rant — and panic!

Yet you always say I’m over dressed in Disney, Dad.

Prof, that outfit is good for V&A.

I am in the “prefer a dress code” camp :slight_smile: I loved going to CG in February and actually seeing people wearing appropriate clothing for the level of restaurant that it is. I’m also from DC if that helps anything.

1 Like

There was some controversy over my choice of black leather brogues with my brown chinos.

I had forgotten I own these. They’re suede. I could be persuaded to change the laces.

Better?

Do you have a picture of the black shoes? I don’t think i’d do suede in June. It’s a cooler fabric. However leather is ok.

Whichever shoes you pick, definitely match the belt.

1 Like

Here’s a photo of me in the full combo. More or less.

1 Like

That doesn’t look like you and your other stock pictures.:rofl:. I do like the outfit!

I’d be more inclined for the black shoes. I’m more conservative when it comes to fashion though.I’ll wait for other’s input.

1 Like

Is that Matt Bomer?

You will look great! Enjoy the food and experience and like you said - laying on the British accent helps. I work for a British company (live in Pennsylvania) and every time I am on a conference call with a Brit, I feel like they are so much smarter than me. So you rock the James Bond accent with those chinos and they’ll be greeting you with a martini :sunglasses:

I vote stay with your original blacks.

1 Like

Go with the black.

You are in the south, and suede is just too heavy for dinner. Your attire is good, don’t mess with it!!!

Eeks, I have to plan my attire for V&A in August! Just got a confirmed reservation this week. :smile:

2 Likes

I agree. Stick with the black shoes.

Black shoes

1 Like

I’ve made an executive decision. Actually, two executive decisions.

You’re not going to like them. You should prepare yourself for this before you read on.

I’ll wait while you do so.

I’m going to wear the brown suede shoes. After the fuss you people made about wearing black shoes, you’ve only yourselves to blame. But, more importantly, they’re really, really comfortable and I can use them as park shoes if necessary as well as for this dinner. I certainly couldn’t do that with the black ones, which are very formal — they’re also much stiffer leather. I don’t understand the point about suede shoes and heat. Unless I do wear them in the parks, I’ll be inside in air-conditioned rooms the whole time. And how are suede shoes hotter than regular leather?

AND

My belt will not match my shoes. It will match my tie. It’s an experiment. But I’m going to go for it. Besides, no-one’s really going to see. My blazer will be buttoned when I’m standing up, and when I’m sitting down, you’d have to be oddly positioned to see my belt — and I normally have to pay extra for that kind of thing.

4 Likes

Seriously. The belt and shoes MUST match. It is men’s styling 101. It doesn’t matter when you think anyone will notice. In fact, it doesn’t matter if anyone notices or not. It is the principle!

And, MOST people had no issue with black shoes with the brown chinos. It is a perfectly valid combination as long as the belt is also black.

2 Likes

I think the light tan chinos and the brown suede shoes will be fine. Anyone judging your belt and shoe colour does not have enough to do in their own life. Is that photo really all your outfit, or only the pants and shoes? I ask, because (and this is totally a personal opinion) I think that jacket looks like you raided one of your student’s closet. I’m not a fan of the too short jacket. But again, that’s just me.

1 Like

Only concern is any rain will DESTROY your suede shoes.

And your belt really should match your shoes.

But go for whatever you want…most people don’t follow fashion “rules” anymore anyway. I break the white shoe rule ALL the time.

1 Like

I’m out walking the dog so I’ll let Frasier address this point.

3 Likes

:joy::joy:

I trust Tim Gunn:

Omg this is great.

Tim is correct, for women, anything goes. Men, well, yeah.

But it’s YOUR body and YOUR clothes. So if you don’t care? Go for it.

I just know my husband wears business professional to work (which is amusing as 75% of his coworkers do not!), and he’s become a belt match to his shoes kinda guy. In fact, I need to find him a pale grey belt to match these gorgeous two tone grey shoes I picked up for him earlier this year.

Me, well, I have a wardrobe to rival any Hollywood Stylist. I also lived in the south for 10 years and those rules at the Junior League are still ingrained in me. LOL. But I often break the white shoe rule…it’s 100 degrees here in SoCal in April sometimes. Girls gotta wear clothes that work.

Also, bear in mind I am ALWAYS overdressed. ALWAYS. So I’m all for fancy dress. I’d wear formal ballgowns daily if I could.

Just my .02

2 Likes

Back from walk now.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I honestly just don’t care about clothing rules. I just don’t. I care about food.

The food at V&A is said to be so good that I’m willing to break my rule and obey their rule. But I’m not going to inconvenience myself too much. The chinos were bought because I can wear those on other occasions and be comfortable with them. The brown suede shoes make sense to me because I can wear them on other days during the trip. (If they get wet and die, I don’t care. I’d forgotten I even had them. My plan is to wear brown Chelsea boots with the chinos back at home.)

The belt/tie combo was a happy discovery when I was picking a tie. The belt I’m wearing is one I’ll wear the rest of the time.

Luckily I’m British, so I can do what I want.

4 Likes

Haha. No. Well, yes. I’m wearing a blazer, striped shirt, chinos and brown suede shoes. But not those ones. My blazer is a grown-up’s blazer. And my chinos are brown rather than pink. And I’m better looking that the model in the picture. Obviously.

2 Likes