Traveling w/ teens

Hey folks…I know my Touring Plans tribe will have the answer to this question! My 17yo daughter would like to take a friend to Disney this summer. I am planning to go with them, but would like for them to stay in a separate room. Since they are both under 18, could I book two rooms and request adjoining rooms? Will Disney allow me to put them together in a room without me? (Even as I type this, I realize the ridiculousness of the question as they clearly host sports/cheer/band/choir groups where this happens!) How do I go about indicating this with a reservation?

Thank you!

2 Likes

I don’t have an answer, but I just want to say - I don’t think it’s a ridiculous question at all!

I wonder if adjoining rooms are automatically booked when you have more than a room on the same reservation.

@Enchantedbythemouse , didn’t you recently book 2 rooms?

3 Likes

If you want to be sure why not get a suite like the family suites at All-Star Music or the AoA then they have their own space/bathroom and even their own beds if they want. We’ve rented one bedroom suites in DVC as well with teens and they slept in the living room. Some are better than others as they actually have a 2nd bathroom (I think Kidani is like that? But I’d double check)

4 Likes

And just FYI. I was in a close situation but DS17’s friend was 18 so I did get them their own completely separate room at Boardwalk but I put it in the friend’s name so I can’t answer exactly unfortunately.

4 Likes

You will likely need to have an adult on each room reservation. I believe this shouldn’t be an issue if you put yourself on both rooms – I think it lets you do that IIRC.

If you are doing a room-only reservation, you can always add another adult who won’t actually be there just to get the reservation through. Ask for connecting rooms and you will be accommodated most of the time, though never guaranteed. They may be able to get rooms that are next door if not connecting.

4 Likes

It definitely does, because I book leading reservations so I have two hotels for the same time period in my name. Also if you do the pre-checkin on your computer/phone and just get your room ready text sent to you along with having a magic band or the phone app to open it, it’s not gonna be an issue when you’re there. It’s just that guarantee of adjoining rooms and you might end up with your teens in another building. I’d honestly be okay with that personally but depending on how much you trust your kiddo and their friend.

Also, when I had the 17 and 18 year old in the room together I had originally had my name on both. It wasn’t an issue till I had to go to the front desk because we wanted to access the club level before our room was ready. Then they complained and took me off the one with the boys in it. So just FYI, it will be an issue if you actually go to the desk. The boys had gotten their room ready text, but DH and I hadn’t at that point.

2 Likes

We did recently do this. There is a spot on the reservation where you can put a request to be connected to another reservation. It asks you the name on the other reservation. There will need to be an adult assigned to each room. Once you get there the front desk will give you an extra key card if someone needs a way to get into a room they aren’t assigned for.
Next time we book two rooms we will put the girls names on both rooms, that way they have access with their magic band.
ETA: the spot where you put the other reservation info is under room requests.

2 Likes

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. We have decided to bring along another adult just to be safe (and to give me someone to hang with while the kids go Disney exploring!).

Another question…have any of you purchased Disney World tickets from a third party like Undercover Tourist? I’ve always been leery about this, but know a lot of folks do it without issues.

2 Likes

I have an AP for the first time, so we just bought tickets from Undercover Tourist. They are already linked, seemed like an easy process.

1 Like

Bought our tickets for this summer thru there, no issues!

Any resellers on the TP ticket calculator are safe to buy from. UT was having a sale where adult tix were the price of kids, not sure if it’s still going on.

Also, if you haven’t looked into them before: convention tickets will likely save you more money than a reseller, you can pay with discounted gift cards to add evenmore savings, and with multi day tix you get a free water park or mini golf day.

2 Likes

What is the “TP ticket calculator”? Is that something inside Touring Plans?

1 Like
2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I promised I tried to search for this first and couldn’t find it…don’t you have a post about convention tickets somewhere? I swear I just saw it yesterday and now can’t find it!

1 Like

First two posts have a rundown of convention tix info.

https://forum.touringplans.com/t/convention-tickets-tip/46005/678

1 Like

So many thanks!!!

1 Like