Training Talk

Made it through my first 10k (post 2004)! It was hot, but this included a bathroom and water pit stop.

I really hit my stride after about 4.5 miles, so I’m looking forward to doing some even longer distances when the half training gets into full swing.

4 Likes

Congratulations! That is exciting!

Great job!!

Great job! Running in the summer heat definitely makes running at Disney a little bit easier.

1 Like

First run in about 3 weeks tonight.

And it felt like it, too.

3 Likes

Woot. Great work on getting out there.

1 Like

This was my mantra for the full! “I can and I will!” And I did! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Congrats!! :raised_hands::raised_hands:

1 Like

Also in Texas. In San Antonio. It was soo hot this weekend and I think we’ve got another hot week ahead of us :hot_face:

1 Like

Yes, apparently summer has arrived.

Until I successfully registered for Marathon weekend, I have been running aimlessly since MW in January 2022. I finally got off my butt and built up a training plan to get me ready for a half-marathon in September and then pivot into Dopey training for January.

Have any of you found your training plans for your next race?

Here is what the training looks like for me over the summer…

3 Likes

I’ve not yet identified a race.

So fun! I’m following the Galloway training plan for a 10 mile race in July and then will switch to the Half Marathon plan for January. I’m a little worried about the July race because it’s in the evening and I’m better in the morning but I’ll start running in the evenings in June. It’s hard to believe I’m the same person I was a year ago! I’m taking it slow but feeling strong. I like having plans written out.

3 Likes

I just completed the Galloway 10k plan and I’ll start his half marathon plan in July. Until then I’m cashing in all my covid credits for a 2x/wk personal trainer at my gym to help me gain back some of the muscle I’ve lost when I started doing so much cardio :laughing:

5 Likes

Ohh. I definitely need to figure out the weight training this year. I do not want to go through the soreness in my quads again!

1 Like

My next 1/2 is Wine & Dine, so I’ll just do 3-4 miles on Thursday night & 6-8 miles on Saturday for most of the summer.

I also do Orangetheory 4 days a week. It’s so hot in the summer that I won’t really work on speed outside.

I run with a local running store & our official training usually starts in August. Once that starts I’ll add speedwork in on my Thursday night run.

1 Like

For an at home program (I’ve also done it at a gym) I really love the Moves app programming by Madeline Custer (madeline_moves on IG). But since my kids are about to be home for summer I’m taking advantage of the gym childcare (and my gym credit) for now. But I’ll probably switch back to that once I exhaust my credit.

2 Likes

How is everyone’s training going? I have been slacking on outside running, but I joined Hotworx in addition to Orangetheory. I really think doing yoga in the hot sauna is helping me. We had our 1 mile benchmark at Orangetheory 2 days ago & I got a PR of 7:29! I never imagined I would be able to run a run that fast :blush:.

I will run outside tonight, but it will be slowwwwww…I just looked at the weather & it’s going to be 86 with a feels like of 91 at 6pm. I was hoping to run 4 miles tonight, but I’m thinking it will only be 3 with those temps.

4 Likes

Congrats on your PR! I use to do Hotworx, loved the sauna aspect but I ran through all the workouts quickly.

Haven’t done much running, lately (I’m dreading my first one back) super hot out here in Texas so I guess that means early morning runs! I have been on the peloton daily though and working on nutrition, definitely want to be set up with that before Dopey Training for me officially starts.

2 Likes

@emily33 I am concerned that I will get sick of doing the same workouts over & over at Hotworx, but I’m only going a couple of times a week & I feel great after.

I’m in South FL, so I run at 6am on Saturday’s. It’s so early, but at least the sun isn’t out. My Thursday evening runs kill me in the heat, but I know it makes fall/winter runs seem so much easier.

1 Like