Trader Sam's reopening!

This was one of my top 3 “needs to happen” before my September trip, so this is very welcome news. Now if they would just finish the Poly monorail station, so I can make getting there and back from MK a bit easier.

Be careful that you don’t wind up in a situation where they aren’t taking any more names for the walkup list. That place is challenging to get into because it’s so small. For a pre-8pm (minors) visit, it is advisable to try to get on the list as soon as it opens. For later in the evening I would try to get on before the park actually closes because I’m sure you wouldn’t be alone in trying to do that.

3 Likes

How sad and depressing that you are so true to form, evincing such affection for dens of iniquity where the filthy, filthy Demon Rum tempts even the virtuous and upright off the True Path.

1 Like

Will settle for rum if I must, and perhaps in a tiki bar that would be most appropriate, but I would prefer something less sweet and more knock-you-off-your-feet

What can I say? I am without any moral compass.

1 Like

Worse, you have sold your moral compass - your legacy without price, with the shining icons of the Sacred Spaces™ as its true north - for less than a proverbial handful of beans.

2 Likes

Does this mean next time I’m there you’ll buy all my drinks??

3 Likes

So, as feared, they’re using a virtual line system for Trader Sam’s now, and DFB is reporting it’s not just an opening day thing.

What’s the strategy with these? I was hoping to head over around 5p for drinks and a snacky dinner for a MK break on one day. I could potentially swing by earlier in the day (around 2p) if the line list would already be open by then to get our name on it. Any tips?

I don’t know why Disney Food Blaahg™ is implying a virtual line is a new thing. Trader Sam’s has done exactly this for at least two years; I still have the text messages from July of 2019. They haven’t had people queue in the hall, or outdoors, or given out pagers in a long time.

I’ve found that if I put my name in by about 3:30, I’ve always gotten in in the first wave. The wait after 10:00PM is usually less than half an hour. In between it’s all over the map. I’ve waited as little as 15 minutes and as much as 90.

EDIT: I see you asked about swinging by around 2:00 and then going back to the Magic Kingdom. I’ve never seen the cast member appear to start taking numbers before 3:00. You’re not going to have time to go back to the park after giving your number. Once you’re paged, you have 15 minutes to show up.

My times are based on when Trader Sam’s opened at 4:00. Subtract an hour as needed.

2 Likes

lol

Hmm, ok. I’ve scheduled about 2 hours total, so fingers crossed. I guess Tambu Lounge will be the back up option.

There’s no way to remotely join the queue, is there?

1 Like

There’s never been a remote option. I expect that, since Trader Sam’s is never wanting for guests, management wants to vigorously discourage people from joining the queue for the hell of it.

1 Like

Also too, two hours is kind of a stretch. Keep in mind that, as soon as it opens, Trader Sam’s fills with 55 guests +/-, and every one of them orders a drink. The skippers have to collect all those orders and the (two) bartenders need to crank all those drinks out. It’s not unusual to take about 20 minutes to get one’s first drink, and take that long between rounds.

2 Likes

On the other hand, if we get right in, and then I have 2 hours to drink, I’m gonna be SUPER AWESOME when it’s time to head back to MK for HEA, lol. :smiley:

3 Likes

Do you get to keep the designed cups your drinks come in or is it a separate price? What is the pricing like? Prob $30 huh

Update: nevermind. I see the 2 prices listed on the menu.

What is that secret with the pearl again? Is it random that some people get a special pearl drink?

That’s the (something something - going from a poor memory) Pearl. The effect for this drink is a giant clamshell in the corner of the bar delivering the pearl in which the drink is served. The pearl is usually white, but periodically the clam delivers a black pearl, and that’s the magic.

1 Like

I have no knowledge of what would make such a foul den “super awesome.” My interest in Trader Sam’s is purely anthropological. It has the highest density of dipsomaniacal monsters of anywhere in the (ever-increasingly-less) Sacred Spaces™, so one may observe manifold forms of depravity and degeneracy with a minimum of effort.

1 Like

So happy to see this. It was one of the things I wanted to do during my Nov’19 trip. It is back on the list for Nov’21

Ah, of course, my interest too is purely professional. Observing the natives in their native atmosphere and such.

2 Likes