Tower of Terror- How bad is it really?

The “elevator car” does not free fall, it is actually pulled downward. It pass through 0-g and into negative-g so quickly that I don’t really get that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach like I get when going over the top on a coaster hill.

Roller coaster enthusiast (to the max) but hate hate hate drop rides… except TOT. I am not a huge lover of the free fall, but the theming, the story, and the effects are just incredible - especially when you keep in mind how long the ride has been around. Just truly imagineering at it’s finest.

1 Like

If you hate the feeling of free fall, I wouldn’t do it. There is more to it, but there is also a free fall portion. If you simply were “meh” or a little uncertain about free fall I’d encourage you to consider trying it, to experience the rest of the ride if nothing else, but IMHO it’s not worth doing if you loathe that falling feeling.

My opinion may be colored by the fact that DS was kind of traumatized when he accidentally rode it last trip. (We intended for him to ride the chicken elevator - my DS loves regular elevators - and my MIL misunderstood.) He enjoys going fast on the moderate coasters (ex. 7DMT not RNR) but really hates that free fall experience. (He has sensory processing challenges which contributes to this.) He was kind of dazed and out of it for 40-60 minutes after the ride. Like, he would walk along with our group but wasn’t really talking and didn’t seem to be very aware of his surroundings. As I recall, it took him a few hours to totally recover. I’m sure your worst-case scenario wouldn’t be that bad, though!

Forgot to add - my favorite ToT trick is the levitating hat. Put you hat on your lap (What?? You’re not wearing a hat in the FL sun?? You be crazy.) and the during the drop it will levitate off your lap as you are falling faster than gravity. Bonus points for waiving your fingers above this as it happens, and double bonus points if it gets caught on the ride photo. :smiley:

4 Likes

I am with you @qwerty6! I hated the idea when I first heard what they were doing to the ride, but after one ride on it, I was hooked. I love the music and energy of the ride. I miss ToT, but I can take a trip and visit my old friend, so no worries! Fun Fact: I live in Central CA and the news reporter screaming on GotG is a reporter for my area. I cannot watch that clip without laughing! If any of you missed it and want to see something funny or want to see what we are talking about here is the video:

What a cool idea! I may just have to try this.

1 Like

TOT is my absolute favorite ride at Disney. Normally, I don’t do free fall rides, but the old hotel theming really gets me.

1 Like

I will not ride drop zone type rides anywhere else. I was so scared to try TOT, but it is now one of my favorite rides at the world.

OMG…Absolutely hilarious!

1 Like

I’m another person who loves rollercoasters, especially if they have loops and inversions. Bring on the corkscrew turns. On the other hand, I loathe the free fall feeling and normally refuse to do drop rides. For me, ToT is awful, there’s the falling, but also not knowing if or when you’re going to fall again or be pulled up instead. So, not at all a fan of ToT. That being said, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout is probably my favorite ride in all of Disneyland. I still have to psych myself up for it, but for me, the theming and the soundtrack really help. Plus the drops and pulls feel smoother than at ToT in WDW.

2 Likes

My theory on why I like it more (can not even ride TOT) is they removed the “will something spooky scare me” apprehension and replaced it with “breaking out with Rocket is a party” feeling. Now I can just enjoy the apprehension of “when will I fall?”

2 Likes

I used to thoroughly enjoy TOT. I have ridden it many times since it was first opened in the 90s. However, last fall I had the ride of a lifetime. The randomized drop gave me quite a fright and I swore I would never ride it again. I’m not sure if this had to do with my placement on the ride as I was in the front row.

I agree with that to a point, because even my first few times on GotG:MB, I still wasn’t in love with the ride. I did it initially to see how it compared to ToT, and then did it a few times with friends because they wanted to it. It didn’t become my favorite attraction until I decided that I wanted to experience each song/drop profile, and even then it took about 3 times before I really started getting into the fun party with Rocket vibe (I want to say it was the 1st time with I Want You Back as the song that got me). I actually ended up doing the ride 12 or so times that trip, lol.

OP here- so DD has decided that if we can get a FP, she is “definitely riding” this time. I guess I am riding ToT :flushed:

4 Likes

You will love it!

I have done this with my runDisney medals, though you have to be careful they don’t smack you in the face!

4 Likes

Did… y-you just spoil the movie for me?

If you haven’t seen Infinity war yet, that’s on you

1 Like

I am certain this will be the discovery of your new favorite attraction!

Infinity War came out last April! You’re going to End Game today. Tell me you saw Infinity War!