Tough to be a bug too scary fir 2.5 yr old?

I know this is subjective, but this will be our first trip, hopefully not the last. My DD will be almost 3. Ive read mixed reviews on whether this is too much for a toddler. Thoughts?

I haven’t seen it but it’s too scary for many adults. No way either my DH or I would go see it!

Does your kid like bugs? If they don’t I’d pass.

1 Like

My son loved it when he was barely 4 and loved it again when he was 7. We read about it being scary before our first trip and decided to risk it. We are still wondering why it’s supposed to be scary lol.

2 Likes

She has no fear. Lol

Some kids find the grasshoppers scary. If they have never seen the movie it might be more scary.

DD8 hated the “bee sting” effect at the end, actually made her angry after that suprise and realized it was fake, she is allergic so getting stung means a shot. I didn’t know about that part or I’d have skipped it.

1 Like

Our DS4 thought it was funny. DS1 was not scared at any point. It probably depends on your kid’s disposition.

1 Like

I hate it myself but no kids in our party have ever been bothered by it at all - my nephew was coming up to 3 last time I went with him and my niece was 4. But they love any kind of bug.

1 Like

I consider this to be the second scariest ride in WDW history after Alien Encounter … might be a little hyperbolic, but it’s the only ride I consciously avoid due to being traumatized the first time I rode it. But I have issues with bugs - I think most kids would be fine and find it amusing!

1 Like

Tough call…we took my now DS25 when he was 4 to see “Honey I shrunk the audience” against MY better judgement. I was seated in the middle and couldn’t get out…poor kid screamed the entire time and buried his face in my shoulder while my DH (who suggested this) sat there and didn’t seem to notice. Poor guy was afraid of the dark for months after that…for all I know, at 25 he may still be :wink:

3 Likes

No pressure! Lol. One of my greatest goals as a parent is to not permanently scar my child’s psyche.

That’s a pretty good goal :slight_smile:
I will say Tough to be a Bug is no where as scary as Honey I shrunk the audience. I think lot’s of times kids react to how adults handle something and the entire audience was screaming.

if they are afraid of insects, it’s a problem. I’m not a fan of spiders so the spiders coming down from the ceiling are no good for me. (the animate one at the beginning is tolerable)

There - FIFY

I have come to learn that there are two types of people in this world. Disney fanatics and everyone else. Disney fanatics seem to find Tough to be a Bug the scariest thing since smallpox. All other normally functioning people do not. Decide which category you fall in :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hate this attraction. Just did it last year as one of the last things to check off my list. I thought it would be fun. It was awful. Never. Again. (and I don’t scare easily nor am I especially bug-averse)

2 Likes

I don’t care for it either. Toured my family around it for years until the figured out it was a thing. None of the kids were too bothered. Told them ahead what it was and to sit forward to avoid the sting…

The apprehension factor does me in. Like how I can’t do TOT but love GOTG a DLR.

1 Like

In my thirties now & I am still traumatized by Honey I shrunk the audience. I was 6 when I first saw it. Just this last weekend we were in Disneyland and I took my 2 & 6 yr olds to the theater where it used to play to see the Toy Story 4 extended preview & as I took my seat even completely devoid of rat tails I found myself recoiling slightly & tempted to check they weren’t there ready to whip out at me.

3 Likes

It varies. My 3 y/o nephew was terrified, cried and needed to leave the theater. My 5 y/o nephew loved the show.

Definitely, if your potential viewer is afraid of bugs, It’s Tough to be a Bug will be scary. Age doesn’t matter. We had a 9 year old who had ear plugs in her ears and a big brimmed hat over her face while she was squeezing the life out of her mom’s entire right arm and still crying her eyes out.