Too many Ads!

The site on the whole has been running really really slow, taking a long time for the pages to load, for a couple of weeks now.

While I was in Tanzania, I was getting ads at the bottom of the page and at one point could not even load the page up, presumably because the ads were in the way.

IDK how TP can resolve these issues, but the board functionality seems to be deteriorating over time and it is frustrating and makes me sad.

2 Likes

Agreed, it’s super frustrating. But for me at least it has been better since there was some kind of update in the last couple of days.

2 Likes

It really had gotten that bad for me. IDK how they fixed it, but thank goodness!!

1 Like

5 Likes

It sounds like this is resolved now, which is good, but @bebe80 was in the correct group and should not see ads. Whether your account has a WDW, DLR, or UOR subscription should not matter for the purposes of the forum. If you’ve got any of those, you should not see ads.

So I’m not sure we know why this was resolved. Clearing the cache on Chrome probably would have been worth a shot (or perhaps try Incognito mode first). I also would try to logout of the forum and then back in.

I also don’t think we intentionally fixed anything in the past couple of days, but I’m glad the forum is working better. We have a third-party manage the hardware and software for the forum, so it’s possible they made an update or upgrade that helped.

3 Likes

Speaking of things to be fixed, the auto scroll issue still isn’t fixed yet, despite the fact I can reproduce the issue on demand with no problems. The third party should fix this issue, since I am constantly missing tons of posts this way. While I can reproduce it on demand…avoiding the issue is trickier to do.l because it would require me to know how many posts have been pre-fetched.

2 Likes

@david , @darkmite2 was the one having the issue.

2 Likes

Aaaah! The ads are now appearing on MY laptop, on my dashboard page, when I try to view a blog. @Len Did something change recently?? Does anyone else see these ads on the desktop? At least none of them are covering up text that I’m trying to read.

I’m on a PC, using Firefox. The ads are in different places:

one is in the right column, above the list of recent posts
one is in the right column, below the list of recent posts/archives
one is across the bottom, full width
one is a video clip in the lower part of the right edge
several are embedded, repeatedly, in the blog that I’m viewing. (7 in the Five Things to Know About SDD)

Can you get a screencap of that, please? (Or try to print the page as a PDF?) And post it here. Thank you!

I snapped a dozen screenshots, in order to get the full article. I pasted them sequentially into a pdf. I will try to post that .pdf here, but if that doesn’t work I will email it to you.

A couple observations: as I scrolled up and down through the blog, the wide bottom ad stayed in place, as did the one that is below the list of recent posts (in upper right area) and the small video ad in the lower right. That’s why you keep seeing those three ads on each screenshot - because they never moved off-screen. All the ads take turns cycling on and off, as they changed brands.

TP Dashboard ads.pdf (3.3 MB)

1 Like

Oh, okay. Thanks for that.

On a site like DisneyFoodBlog.com or AllEars.net, does the same thing happen?

Similar, yes. This morning I’ve also noticed it on other sites I read for local news, so maybe it’s me??

DFB had the wide ad across the bottom and the ads within the article text.
AllEars had the wide ad across the bottom, the ads within the article text, and the upper right one that stays when I scroll.

Ahhh, that’s helpful. We’re all using the same ad platform.

Okay, I know who to ask. They’re pretty decent with responses, so I should hear back from them soon.

FWIW, I use AdBlock on my browser and don’t see any ads.

Len

2 Likes

Holy cow!

2 Likes

It was me. I got a new laptop recently, and there must have been some 30-day free trial of an ad blocker that expired. I have now installed AdBlocker with DH’s help. Thanks!

Also, another issue several forum users and I noticed yesterday, is the forum page loads slowly at times. In fact, we can watch the thin blue line at the the top of the page to see how it progresses. Did something change?

2 Likes

Wait, Len is using an ad blocker on his own site?