Hi All. Longtime listener, first time caller and all that. Thanks for having me on the show.
I know Covid has been discussed at length here in various places. I haven’t read through the entire “Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 1” (and 2), but I’ve read lots of posts in them. Basically, I’m looking for some outside feedback. I’ll try to keep this short (brevity is not my strong suit).
We have two daughters (4 and 2). We had been planning go to DW in 2021 for a while, originally in April. Like many of you, we decided to move things around. We moved it to Late August/Early September. My wife and I are both vaccinated (Moderna, both shots). To make this just a little more interesting, my wife is 20 weeks pregnant with baby girl #3 (yes, I am living the #GirlDad life). We’re 42 days out and our window for cancelling with full refund is closing rapidly, so we need to decide if we’re committed to this.
We were feeling optimistic about our trip as numbers dropped in June, but we’re starting to feel a bit anxious again with Delta on the rise. We’ve been very Covid cautious from the beginning, probably because we’re just across the river from NYC on the Jersey side (Jersey City) and we got hit hard from the get-go. We’ve slowly been loosening up, especially over the past few months as numbers in NJ improved, but we’re very much a “masks indoors and in crowded outdoor settings” type of family. I’m very aware that data suggests kids have very much been spared the worst of Covid, but I’ll admit I’m still leery about long Covid as data on that seems a bit all over the place (and to the person who linked to the Nature article in “Coronavirus… Part 2” about that, thank you). My DW’s OBGYN has given her the green light to go, and our pediatrician has said it’s up to us as long as we follow good Covid safety (masks, distance, hand washing, etc).
On one hand, it seems silly to me to risk the girls getting sick for a “fun” vacation. I know the data is in our favor, but like or not, it’s still a novel disease that we’re figuring out and I’d kick myself if they got sick and worse, developed long Covid or something else down the road because of it. On the other hand, after god knows how many months of them being so so so flexible because of the “germs”, I feel like this would be awesome for them, as well as being our last big trip as a family of 4. I know at the end of the day, the answer is “if you don’t feel safe, don’t go”. It’s just tough to figure out what is “safe”.
So I guess my question is, to any other parents who are in a similar position and have a similar mindset, would you/have you/are you going to go to DW in current conditions? What pushed you in either direction? If you’ve been recently how was it and how safe did you feel?
Thanks in advance everyone, appreciate your thoughts and insights.
Edit: I should also add that right now, we have ADR’s that are all at outdoor restaurants (and we’ll do Quick Service elsewhere) and we plan to have everyone wear masks in queue’s and on rides, us included. Kids are excellent (4 yo) and generally good (2 yo) at keeping masks on.