To Disney World We Go! (Enablers unite!)

DO IT!! My dad is now 85 and while still in good shape for his age, he is unable to travel so far to WDW to see Galaxy’s Edge. I have seen every Star Wars movie first run in the theaters with my Dad (and brother) ever since I was 6 years old except for Solo. If I could take a father-daughter trip I wouldn’t even hesitate. :heart:

5 Likes

Adding to the chorus but do it! I came very close to losing my dad in an awful car accident a few years ago and we are finally getting back to Disney World with them in October. I’m so grateful we have this opportunity with him still and we are all really looking forward to it (and so much of Hollywood studios will be new since he was there last!! I can’t wait for him and my mom to see Galaxy’s Edge now given how much they loved Star Wars!)

4 Likes

I’ve gone w/o my kids many times b4 moving here. I didn’t tell them at the time b/c I had that stupid mommy guilt. Since growing up :wink: I’ve gone on trips w/ friends, just hubby and then trips w/ one adult child at a time too. One of the hardest things to do as a parent is to learn to take care of ourselves so that we are better for our children.

5 Likes

Reading this just broke my heart in two. So happy you have this memory.

5 Likes

Agree. Lost my mom in 2020 and she loved Disney trips like I did. Went many times as a family but never had a 1:1 with her there — it never even occurred to me. But hearing this idea now I’m like wow that would have been amazing for both of us.

If you can swing the money and time off, definitely do it. And I have kids who also love Disney trips but I think they’d understand — they are competitive with each other and what’s “fair” but not with their grandparents. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think taking your dad would be a wonderful experience for you and your dad. Take the time with him now and create memories. I’ve been twice without kids and it’s wonderful. I plan on doing a trip with my dad in the next few years for a Run Disney event. My dad and I have been running races together for almost 10 years. He’s retired from the military and is faster than me and will often come back on the race route and run the last 1/2 mile or so with me, encouraging me the whole time with that former drill sergeant speak (“come on”, “let’s go”, “get up this hill”). Do it and don’t feel guilty. Enjoy every minute!

7 Likes

Ok so looking at September 11-14 or January 12-15. Thoughts??

2 Likes

I’m here to enable! Definitely do that trip! I don’t travel with my dad both because we not compatible travel companions and he won’t travel.

My mom, though. We used to travel together every few years. We’ve been to WDW, London, Las Vegas, etc. But now, with her husband being several years older, she can’t travel like she used to because she doesn’t want to leave him home alone since he has health issues. Completely understandable but that means we don’t get to go on trips like we used to and I’m not sure we ever will again.

Do that trip with your dad! You won’t regret it.

3 Likes

January would be cooler weather wise.

4 Likes

I have done Disney with just my mom and my niece and with my Mom & Dad for Food & Wine. Those are amazing memories that I will have forever. We spend so much of our childhood vacationing in ways our parents plan and it was so much fun to take the lead as an adult. I was able to bring them around and show them my happy place in a way that highlighted all the things they would love about it. And while I love my trips with DS, trips with my parents are totally different - I was able to lounge at the pool with them, drink in hand, without worrying about DS or being dragged in because he’s bored. We enjoyed a late night experience at the California Grill, which I wouldn’t have done with DS. And apparently I was successful enough as my parents are going back to Food & Wine by themselves this year :slightly_smiling_face:

And DS seems to understand. I’ve done a few without him - it’s a great time to relax, replenish and come back to him and DH ready to get at it again! (cuz damn, being a mom is hard work and we all need a break!)

5 Likes

The weather would be better in January, but you’ll miss F&W (and I don’t think FArts start that early. You also risk unseasonably cold weather and ride closures for maintenance.

1 Like

I vote for January. Much cooler temps, not in hurricane season, and you’ll be there during the long 50th celebration. For a first visit, I think F&W can be distracting from just seeing the parks for themselves.

2 Likes

And this is something that we largely do not allow ourselves or parents in general to say. I often worry that my attitude about going without the kids (they’ll get over it! you deserve some solo/couple/friends time too!) will cause people to judge me. I love my children. Every decision I have made in the last 17 years, and continue to make, is with them in focus: how will this help them grow as people, will this hurt them in any way. I don’t always make the choices I want to make, because I do always want what is the best for them. But that includes getting a break now and then because if I’m all burnt out I’m a real shitty parent, and I can’t care as much or do as well for them.

I fear I’ve stepped on a kind of soapbox here without meaning to, but I felt it important to say - parents NEED a break from their kids (and heck from their partners/spouses) to remember who they were before. Because someday? The kids will be grown and it will be back to just you (and your spouse/partner, perhaps). And you better know what you want to do with yourself or you’re going to be a lost little puppy.

end rant (which I didn’t mean to be a rant)

27 Likes

So much this. I know I’m being judged as soon as I get the ‘I could NEVER take a vacation, especially to Disney, without my kids’. But I have gotten over it. DS goes to Disney/Universal 3-4 times a year. He’s not suffering!

3 Likes

Yay!!! I love it!! It’ll be so fun! My dad came with my kids and I back in May and it was a fantastic time with him. I will always treasure the memories we made together with my kids.

We had to cancel an adult only trip last September for my mom’s 65th birthday. It was going to be my sister, myself and my parents and I was so looking forward to it. It’s funny how much time we spent together as a family unit growing up only to have zero time together these days (of course we are so happy to spend time together with our kids and husbands but it’s just different right?). Still wanting to make up this trip at some point.

To answer your question…September will still be very hot. How’s your dad’s tolerance for the heat? If it’s not great, January weather is lovely but it will be more crowded. Historically, September has the lowest crowds.

1 Like

I think you’re going again with your family next year right? I think I’d lean toward spacing out your trips, so whichever is furthest from your last trip without being too close to your next one. So I think that means September.

Cons: heat, no Ratatouille or other 50th offerings (early entry), hurricane season
Pros: usually lower crowds, wet rides more likely to be open, sooner!

It started Jan. 8 this year.

Hey those are my September dates for my solo trip! I think look at what you want to do and how do you feel about the heat. If heat will make things miserable, definitely January. If you want to see some of the 50th stuff, January. If you want to go sooner, September! If you want to say goodbye to Happily Ever After (and/or Epcot Forever), September! So I’d really look at what you want the trip overall with your dad to be to help make the timing decision too.

1 Like

I again agree with Jeff here, mostly because isn’t January when they’ll be doing a lot of refurbishments? I know Skyliner will be closed January 23rd-28th 2022.

I’d hate for a favorite attraction to be closed, unless he is adverse to humidity. Then a January trip would be much better.

2 Likes

Happy to be an enabler! Echoing what everyone said…DO IT!!! I would have loved a solo trip with my Dad! I’m so grateful he and my mom joined in on the trips with my daughter when they could. My nephews missed out on those memories b/c my Dad can’t travel anymore. Wish I had thought of this a few years ago! If you go please tell us all about it!!!

1 Like