Tips to make 11 year old girl's trip magical

I’m bringing my 11 year old daughter (and her 9 yr old brother) for a first trip to Disney Feb 5-11. We’re staying in Art of Animation, and I’m looking for suggestions on something special for her in particular (and maybe for him) to make the trip extra magical. I have an ‘experience’ budget of $100 for each of them, for an activity unique to them. I have a BBB and Pirate’s League reservation already, but worry that the kids might be too old to appreciate them.

My son is most looking forward to the interactive games at the parks (wilderness explorers, sorcerers of the magic kingdom, pirate adventure, agent P’s adventure) and excited about them even more than the rides.

My daughter is in a ‘too cool for everything’ stage, but is at least participating in vacation planning looking at the different rides and areas and scoffing at them. I thought she may enjoy some ‘teenage’ pampering and time away from her brother, but she stated that BBB seemed too young for her after seeing videos online. How does Character Couture work, what are the prices, etc? The link (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/spas/character-couture/) is perpetually broken for me.

She’s not much into princesses - her favorite book series is Diary of a Wimpy Kid, her fashion is jeans and t-shirts (Justice) and her activities of choice are art projects or track & field. She seems to be looking forward to the trip, just not anything in particular. I’d love to get suggestions on something that can give her a memorable ‘wow’ moment just for her in that $100 budget. Any ideas?

My daughter is exactly the same age, reads the same books (wimpy kid, dork diaries), and has the same interests (swimming instead of T&F). They could be clones.

Our past 3 trips she was 7, 8, and 10. She did BBB at 8yo, and that was about the limit. She loved it, but by the age 10 trip the time had passed. I would strongly recommend cancelling that. But I would keep the Pirate’s League reservation.

I don’t know anything about Character Couture, but it looks neat. I got the link to work:
Hairstyling $60
Makeup $40
Nails $15
In-Room is additional $25 per reservation

I know it’s not what you’re asking, but I would actually suggest you don’t do the above. If she’s not into it, I wouldn’t force it. She may be too cool for school right now, but the entire trip is going to be pretty special and magical, I don’t think you really need to have a grand gesture moment… the whole trip is a grand gesture moment. Maybe save that money, go to Disney Springs and do some age-appropriate shopping, get a really nice souvenir?

Full disclosure, I’m not a very creative soul. Maybe others here will have some more targeted “making magical memories” advice.

2 Likes

I don’t have kids so if this idea sucks be gentle:)
I had tea at the Grand Floridian. At the next table was a mother and daughter. They looked really happy.

4 Likes

Have you considered Senses Spa at the Grand Floridian or Saratoga Springs? Not the Character Couture, just spa treatments like mani/pedis. My DD did one when she was about 10 years old and it was very fun.

4 Likes

or one of the special tours at AK like the Caring for Giants tour?

4 Likes

Our daughter is the exact same age, and I imagine does the exact same eye rolls as your daughter does. She’s in GT Art, which I only mention because I think her and your daughter will get along.

Which is why it was totally surprising that she wanted to do the ‘princess makeover.’ We’ve booked it for her, and she mentioned it as the thing she was looking forward to the most.

I can only explain it in that she is beginning to pay attention to her hair, and earrings and otherwise ‘girly’ things, and she thinks it might be fun to try her hair differently, and wear makeup.

You might pitch it this way and see what she says. I also think she likes some of the “Frozen” stuff more than she lets on, but derides it because her friends make fun of it. We’re still going on Frozen Forever or whatever regardless.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the suggestions! The couture prices are actually lower than I expected (for once, given Disney’s usual markup). I didn’t know about Senses Spa, and will bring up the spas and the AK tours and see what she says.

Also, while looking for reservations I saw that the Epcot International Festival of the Arts is going on while we’re there. Are there any ‘paint a picture’ or ‘learn to make / draw this’ kind of experiences available during that usually?

Every price point is $10 less because she is below age 12.

1 Like

At AK there is an animation class at Rafiki/ conservation station and some of the resorts have painting classes. I bet the art festival will also have something! My kiddo did not love BBB at age 5 because it took time away from the roller coasters!!!

3 Likes

I have a niece in that age and attitude bracket :slight_smile: on our next trip I am contemplating: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/horse-trail-rides/ Horseback rides! She is horse mad, loves that cartoon show Spirit on Netflix, so hopefully this one will be good. I will be keen to hear what you decide and how it works out! best of luck!

2 Likes

Make sure to call – I read that some of the horse-related activities are cancelled or changed due to the construction for the Reflections DVC resort.

2 Likes

They do Mermaid School at AOA, but your daughter might be too old to think it’s cool…and Feb weather could also be an issue. But I have booked this for my daughter for late Nov hoping it will be warm enough. I think they are planning to do it year round. It’s where you can learn how to swim with a mermaid tail on. They do it a few times a week between 8 and 9 am.

1 Like

Couple ideas, kinda builds on some of the advice above. First, I wouldn’t “force” anything. It is only special if she buys in and is excited about it. I’d talk to her and let her pick. The character couture looks cool, but again, only if she’s excited about it. Is she into any Villians? What about Descendants? Maybe something there is get out of the princess culture?

If she doesn’t bite there, what about letting her plan a meal? total meal may go over $100, but you can likely keep it within $100 of a “normal” meal.

1 Like

What about one of these workshops?

2 Likes

I remember going around that age and having the same attitude! Not sure there is much you can do to change it. Different art classes or behind the scenes tours? Dessert party? You can make custom phone cases if she has a phone.

1 Like

Just got back from an October trip with three boys (13, 13, 5) and a 12yo girl. The older kids loved the pool, thrill rides, and merchandise. My daughter got a henna “tattoo” which she also loved. Point being (a) it will be magical just being there, and (b) it doesn’t necessarily take money to make it so, especially not in one sitting. She might enjoy just being able to be a bit whimsical and not have to plan a major excursion.

We did BBB and pirates league when the kids were younger and they loved it. Skipped it this trip (our second) and didn’t miss them much, though our 5 yo decided he wanted his face painted after it was too late for us this trip. Has a magical time anyway.

Good luck!

1 Like

Do you think she’d enjoy Pick a Pearl? It’s not a huge experience in terms of time, but you could get her a necklace to put her pearl in and then she’d have a nice souvenir.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I casually brought them up during vacation planning last night, and I think she was interested mostly in the festival of the arts link, and in the spa.

I won’t be forcing anything on her - she wants to do something ‘on her own’ away from her brother and I (even if we have to be nearby), and I really appreciate the suggestions. I’ll keep checking back and let you know how things go :slight_smile:

I was also going to suggest the mermaid tail lessons at AoA. I’m pretty sure AoA has art classes, as well. At that age, I was really into “traveling around the world” at Epcot and getting stamps in my passport. And I was also into the “behind the scenes” attractions that used to be at Hollywood Studios (prly the only person and that’s why they are gone). So maybe a backstage tour would be of interest. If she is into T&F, are there any races at Disney while you are there? I’m not a runner, but from what I have heard, those sound like a lot of fun! If nothing appeals to her, maybe make a cute thrill-ride checklist that she can add stickers to when she conquers each?

2 Likes

Mine was 11.9 (almost 12) when we went last year, similarly not terribly girly/princess-y.
She wanted face paint, but we talked her out of it in the heat. Henna tattoo in Epcot was right up her alley. I would also suggest the pick a pearl…then I feel like there is a “thing/experience” that could be created for her around World Showcase if you wanted to incorporate a few more countries/items.

2 Likes