Ticket changes

No argument there. I merely laying the argument as to why they MIGHT have a lower priced ticket than today (for a while) based on what I read in one of the blogs on the subject suggesting the same.

We are talking about Disney- right?

3 Likes

As I said, it isn’t without precedent. They did it with their pricing model for single-day tickets when they first came out with it. The lowest priced days were lower than they were before…but barely.

They also did it when they reorganized tickets a few years ago. I think it was when you added waterparks and PHs (old version)? Len just posted in chat he expects a February increase as well as this change so you may be right. Problem is, how do you know what dates? Value season?

Yes. Exactly. It is up to Disney. The best guess would be when crowd calendars shows lowest crowds…probably like in September/October, February, etc. But who knows. It is a gamble.

It does make me wonder…if you buy tickets NOW, how long are they valid? Could we, conceivably, buy tickets before Oct. 16 and they would still be valid in December of 2020? I’ve not paid attention to how long they are good for.

There were published reports that tickets will expire at the end of 2019.

This past Labor Day weekend was higher than last year since value season had not kicked in yet.

Okay. I figured they had that covered. A while ago, it used to be that once you bought the tickets they were good until you used them the first time, at which point they 14-day timer started. Actually, going back even further, it used to be there was no 14 day expiration. You could buy 10 day tickets and use 2 days a year for 5 years if you wanted! Ah. The good old days.

1 Like

I’m most likely going to buy now, but the only thing that makes me hesitate is that perhaps they will lower the price on dates during party season. I do think it is very possible that they “cushion the blow” by making SOME (a few) dates less expensive than now, but I do assume most will include a price increase. Crazy to expect another one in February too though!

Even if they DO lower the prices for value season, I expect the amount you’d save to be relatively minuscule.

I wish the expiration day went to Dec 2020, as I am planning a 2020 trip. I would buy my tickets now if I could. However, sounds like the expiration is December 2019. I have been trying to figure out potential costs for 2020 so we can save, difficult I know, so my DH and I way overestimated based on this year’s costs and the difference in what we paid in 2016. Hopefully we will break even or have too much saved.

By the way, this new ticket situation does not seem to streamline and make it less difficult for those planning a trip. That is a bunch of marketing nonsense. Just my opinion though.

3 Likes

I’m with @ryan1. I’m betting WDW will want the good PR of being able to say that ticket prices are lower for some people. Then they’ll raise them all in a few months. (Not that I know anything for sure; that’s just what I figure will happen.)

If you do buy tickets now and don’t use them, they don’t just disappear if you don’t use them by the end of 2019. You will just have to pay the upgrade fee, which is basically the cost of the price increases. Disney wants to keep people from getting many several day tickets and use them many years from now, when they could charge more later. But they don’t want you to NOT come.

I think all those unused tickets are a huge liaibility on Disney’s books. I think that’s part of what’s driving this. They want people to use their tickets, not have to eventually have them turned in to be applied to a new ticket or to have them used years later.

1 Like

I am also trying to figure out if I should book now for a trip in January. Do we know when the pricing structure will be announced along with dates?

Why not book now? If you know you’re going, you’ll get your tickets locked in and if things change for the better under the new system, I’m sure you’ll be able to have them change it for you.

1 Like

If they’re in your budget now, absolutely.

I bought in late march of 2017 to activate in Jan of 2018, during which time the price had already gone up once. so go for it.

1 Like

Where is it confirmed that multiday tickets purchased today (or before the October ticket changes) will be good until 12/31/19?

I am planning a 2019 Thanksgiving trip (likely peak season) and am thinking of getting my multiday tickets now before the change, but I am having trouble confirming the actual expiration date on the WDW website.

The discount e-tickets at Undercover tourist have a expiration of 12/31/19. I bought some yesterday for my spring trip.

WDW may not list expiration on their site, but each reseller is pretty up front about the expiration dates.

1 Like