Three-night adult trip in July - help with booking!

Hello lovely Liners - I’ve returned!

The wife and I are looking at a long weekend getaway for our anniversary in July. We’re planning to drop the kids off at grandpa’s house south of Orlando near Melbourne, so we have plenty options from a hotel at Cocoa Beach, cruise from Canaveral, OR a Universal (I’m still angling for Disney, but we just went in November).

So, I’m looking at room and ticket options on the UOR website and I’m so confused. We want express passes because we’re spoiled, and when I try to book a room + tickets, it sticks me with some $25 off promotion for a three-park ticket only - when I remove the three-park ticket and add the three-day 2 park ticket with express pass, it won’t let me continue with the booking saying the $25 promotion requires the three-park. It will not allow me to remove the promotion of course.

Am I best off just booking the tickets + express pass and room separately? Any tips or tricks I’m missing out on? Should I renew my TP subscription for this three-day event, or is it not worth it?

editing to add: we’re looking at the value resorts, Surfside or Dockside, but open to others if the value is there.

2 Likes

Yes! I keep it to also show support for the great work the TP team does and to keep the forum up and running.

Clear your cache amd try again from the Universal hotel site. You shouldn’t have to book seperately. Make sure you don’t have some type of promo code entered. Also, have you checked the price difference for the “deluxe” hotels that offer express pass included? It usually is more for 2 people but you’re sooo much closer to the parks and it’s Express Unlimited. Check the cancelation policy too. There may be a difference if booked seperately vs booking together as a package.

2 Likes

There’s no promo code, it just adds this “promotion” on and it can’t be taken off. The error occurs when I remove the three-day three-park ticket and add the three-day two-park ticket with express pass. The same dates at Loews Portofino is $3500. It allows me to book the Harry Potter package with the

I suppose another question I have is, does this ticket have express pass unlimited all three days, or just one?

2 Likes

Dis you see, after selecting a room, the tabs for tickets and express pass? I was able to customize there. I added the tickets you wanted then went to the express tab and added that.

1 Like

Yes, I can change and rearrange the tickets, express passes, extras and all that, but at the booking stage, it kicks out the error.

I’m starting to think that the three day ticket + express pass unlimited does not include express pass all three days.

1 Like

It should. What I’m finding odd is that you can’t just build your package. I know I’ve done it before. Now it wants you to select this package and modify. The tickets included seem to be about the same price as the 3 day 2 park ones. Then you have to add express or express unlimited in. Check with Undercover Tourist or even a TA. You should be able to build it how you want it. You do have to buy express extra for each day though. There isnt a blanket ticket.

1 Like

The whole thing is maddening, and the beach is looking a lot better all of a sudden!

1 Like

Right!? I just reread the tix description. It might be worth a call to see if they can book it over the phone.

1 Like

It’s super glitchy with that. I could book it through a linked employer benefit site (I who to the employer benefit site, click on a link, and it directs me to this site, so I don’t think this site is actually specific to our employer), but not on the universal site. I still had to remove the really big ($75) discount….
https://www.universalorlandovacations.com/

Though, I was finding better deals altogether with room only and tickets thru Undercover Tourist.

1 Like

THIS!

I read everything and my first thought was… “Just call! They’ll do it in minutes!!” :rofl:

Or use a Touring Plans Travel Agent. It costs you nothing AND they’ll give you a FREE Universal Touring Plans subscription and a bunch of other goodies closer to your trip.

I have mixed feelings. I think TP doesn’t do a great job with their UOR services. It’s a good tool to have to get an “outline” of what you can accomplish. However, I went to UOR six times last year - using TP. It was inaccurate way more often than not.

I think they do an amazing job with WDW. That’s the focus of their business and it shows in their work.

4 Likes

You will save money staying at a Primer hotel and getting express for free over buying it separate.

2 Likes

This is accurate - mostly… You’ll have to check the package, hotel rates and the current UXP prices and price it out individually. (Prices are date based)

IME - A primer hotel Express Pass “pays” for itself if at LEAST 3 - definitely 4 - people share the room

3 Likes

Thank you all. I think we’re just going to put this trip on the back burner. We were looking to fly under a certain budget and that doesn’t seem possible without being very complicated. We mainly want to relax and ride a few rides without waiting and that doesn’t seem feasible. We do have UOR on the schedule for the future with kids, and I believe we’ll definitely be staying premier to utilize express pass.

Time to pivot - maybe a few nights at WDW with no agenda, or just bury feet in the sand!

2 Likes

Talk about being VERY COMPLICATED!! :rofl: :innocent:

Have you been back to WDW since 2019??!!?? IMHO - it’s a stress filled nightmare. This coming from a guy that used to LOVE planning a WDW vacation. I would do it for dates I never intended to go - just to have fun making a touring plan!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

I would beg people to let me plan their trips if I knew they were going!!

I can’t go back to WDW… They’ve made it so hard to give them my money. After a year, at Universal, of not dealing with park reservations, Lightning Lanes & everything else, I can’t go back. I don’t care what new ride shows up. (I’ve wanted to ride Tron for a decade, but I really have no passion to go any time soon.)

Tell me about it! Even at the beginning of 2022 I could get flights still at 2019 pricing. Now, airfare is almost double most times!!

On average I spend about $1,000 per person to go to Universal for 4 - 5 days. I’ve done it for anywhere between $850 - 1,2000. This includes flights, transportation, food, hotel, souvenirs & everything else.

I kept a log and did a whole series of Universal only Trip Reports all titled… “The Disney Refugee Does…”

Check 'em out if you like reading TRs and want honest reports on Universal stuff. I’m not a vlogger / blogger. I just love going to theme parks and know how expensive it can be!!

3 Likes

We did eight nights at WDW (with kids) in November 22 - we honestly had a blast even with the hurricane! If we go there in July, it would be no genie, no hurrying from checkbox to checkbox, just strolling around and soaking in the “world”.

1 Like

No worries! I hope you do get to relax and be with your wife solo!!

When you’re tired of the “rat race” doing checklists & such the whole day with your head down in your phone searching for the next Lighting Lane or reservation at WDW… There’s a whole Universe to explore just down the street at your pace / leisure! :wink: :rofl: :innocent:

4 Likes

I’m totally in for doing UOR and getting the most out of it, but I know for this trip, it would be spreadsheets and checklists since neither of us had been before. we feel it would be stressful waiting in long hot summer lines, and anything but relaxing.

1 Like

You’re right. Find a resort with a nice lazy river and relax! :smile:

2 Likes

That’s where we’re at now. Beach hotel in cocoa beach (open to other beaches!) and relaxing.

1 Like

I did call and they confirmed that the three day two park + EPP included express pass all three days. Crazy value!

2 Likes