Thoughts on Kona Cafe?

Hi all! Haven’t been around in awhile, but my family is planning our next visit to WDW in May and I’d love your opinions.

My young adult children (18 and 21) don’t want to miss rope drop any days of our trip, but the older adults (parents and grandparents) may want a leisurely morning with a nice breakfast one day. This will probably fit our plans most on the last day of our trip which will be our second MK day. Don’t need character dining and most likely do not prefer buffet. Our breakfast appetites just aren’t big enough to justify buffet costs.

I’m considering Kona Cafe, but the reviews I’m reading are mixed. We have never been. Would love opinions on Kona and/or other suggestions of other good breakfasts in the MK area that might fit the bill.

1 Like

We did Kona once for breakfast but it was pre-pandemic. It was fine and can be a source of Tonga Toast if that’s your thing. The other one to strongly consider that may fit your bill is breakfast at Steakhouse 71 at the Contemporary. We did that in July and it was a nice breakfast. Think they offered bottomless Momosas too if that’s a draw for your group…

Depending on when you’re staying might be the tie-breaker, although both are easily accessible via the monorail.

3 Likes

We loved breakfast at Kona Cafe, both the Tonga Toast and the Macadamia Nut Pancakes. It’s also convenient to MK since you’re already at Polynesian.

3 Likes

It’s quite good. But while I enjoyed it the one time I’ve never been in a hurry to go back.

I’m assuming you’re meaning to get a TS? Because I think Captain Cooks is good as well for QS and you can enjoy it out on the lanai.

SH71 gets high marks. I haven’t had breakfast there b it if it’s even a little bit as good as lunch it would be fabulous!

1 Like

Main Street Dish’s most recent podcast was on underrated TS. Kona was a pick for breakfast. I love the macadamia nut pancakes and Kona pressed pot coffee.

1 Like

We ate at Kona Cafe in 2019. I was eager to have the Tonga Toast, since that had been my favorite back in '82. But the modern version was nothing like what I remembered of the earlier one, so I was very disappointed. I thought the modern version was just too thick and too dry. It’s not something I like. I’m in the minority on that, but not alone.

1 Like

Definitely yummy! My wife loved the Tonga Toast, but I have an allergy to bananas, so the Macadamia nut pancakes were delicious… especially with the side of ham.

3 Likes

First experience at Kona (dinner, 2022) was mediocre at best

Second experience (breakfast, 2022) was ok, certainly better than QS breakfast

Third experience (dinner, last january) was very good!

1 Like

Agree completely. I was disappointed. But, I would like to try the macadamia nut pancakes.

2 Likes

I try to go there for breakfast every trip, if I can work it in. My sister and I both I love the macadamia pancakes, and I think I might be one of the 7 people on Earth who misses the pass-o-guava juice that used to come with every breakfast. When we stayed there in 2022 I usually got the pancakes to go, and then we’d go down and got Mickey waffles for my niece in Captain Cook’s and eat there.

2 Likes

I’m with you, we were there in 2022 and I was also let down by the Tonga Toast after all the raves I’d heard.

2 Likes

Totally agree about the regular ham at Kona, it’s delish! Just beware the “spiced ham” - at Kona and in DLR also that is code for Spam!

When we visited Kona for breakfast I have to say I was disappointed in the Tonga toast, it did not live up to the hype for me. However, we had a fantastic lunch there. The sushi and poke bowl were fantastic!

1 Like

Yes. Definitely mean the regular ham…NOT the Spam!

1 Like

1 Like

That sign says spam a lot.

4 Likes

Yes it does. It’s the inspiration for Spam-A-Lot

3 Likes

You were supposed to say “ISWYDT”

2 Likes

2 Likes