This week’s Disney Dish

$50 per person for RotR

Wow!! Well I can see people for once in a lifetime trip. I think we would depend on how much DH wants to ride it. We are every few years people…. That’s crazy wonder what the other prices will be.

2 Likes

I’ve already ridden RoTR twice, and I’ll probably ride it again in September. It’s neat, but I would never pay extra money for it.
I actually think I prefer MFSR.

10 Likes

Yeah, no to the whole concept of this.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I’m OK with this list of options. First, it seems that each ride won’t have all options available. Plus, the two Genie versions aren’t ways to get on the ride, any more than touring plans. As far as Genie goes, I’ll be using Touring Plans. I won’t trust their suggestions anymore than I trust their wait times. I can totally see Disney making suggestions that are optimal for THEM and not for me. I can see Genie messing up Touring Plans though by changing the natural flow. For the Lightning Lane, I hope that they are so expensive that hardly anyone uses them (like VIP tours). For stand-by pass and BG’s, I hope that they are complicated and I’ll have an advantage because I’ll have you guys to explain optimal.

My main concern is ROTR. This will be our one-and-done trip that was made possible (to DH) because of Star Wars. If we are forced to pay $150 for the three of us to ride ROTR once, because that is the only option, we’ll pay, but Disney will be dead to me. I’ll be that ticked off. I am one of those that eagerly watches every Disney movie. But, that would stop. Hopefully by Feb the shine will be off it and we’ll be able to get a free BG.

6 Likes

I was able to listen this morning and had two key thoughts:

1. while I think I will be able to maximize these options, I don’t want to tour this way. While I would zip around the park at Disneyland or DCA, my family, or a family with small children are not going to want to run to the other side of the park because they are given an alert that 1)their standby que is ready, and 2)their boarding group is up and 3)the genie recommends riding this other ride right now. There is a complete lack of predictability and flow to this that does not work for the Orlando parks (unless you are the subset of run Disney folks - love you all, I am not you) because these parks are too spaced out. It does not sound like an enjoyable day. I am thinking the folks from CA need to come and test run these systems on a nice muggy September day and see what their experience is like.

2. what will the credibility if the Genie be? Will the Genie be for the benefit of Disney, the guest, or some happy medium? Will it actually tell you when 7DMT is low for 7DMT or send you to the teacups? While inflated wait times don’t lose customer trust (yay, the wait was shorter than I thought!) Disney could really make people sour if customer experience is not the key purpose of Genie.

8 Likes

oh… I understood this to be at one park at a time. So, if I was in MK I’d select my choices and be notified while there. I wouldn’t be notified of short lines in another park. But that was just my understanding. I’m w/ you if I’m in MK and receive an alert for AK. I’m NOT running around like that.

I think that the parks themselves are also far more spread out in FL than CA. Heck, MK’s parking lot in FL is larger than the actual MK park in CA.

5 Likes

Yup

2 Likes

Sorry to cause confusion, I mean spaced out within the individual park - I don’t want to have to run back and forth between Frontierland and Tomorrowland multiple times! With the past systems (maxpass or fastpass) you had some control over your times and choices so you could create a touringplan. This seems more like Disney notifying you “when it’s time”! This is okay for one or 2 marquee rides with boarding groups, but no way to plan a day. How many people get called to a boarding group while at an ADR?

3 Likes

I got the second survey they talked about. I was really confused since they never sent surveys for my June trip or my trip next month.

I honestly didn’t know how to answer a question about my affiliations and memberships. I have a TiW card but honestly- no one has one past this month, so should I say yes because I can hold my last card or no since they don’t exist right now (they closed that department)?

It reminded me of the survey they sent me a
couple of years ago that asked me if I had downloaded customized maps from their website while planning my trip. There was no where to say “nope, you stopped that three years ago”.

2 Likes

Oh… I agree w/ that too! I always optimize my touring plan to go in order and not jumping all over the place… Nope, not for me!

2 Likes

Honestly the Genie app sounds truly dystopian to me. Turn over your day to the Powers that Be? The app will be all bright and cheery, with pixie dust and maybe even magical sound effects, but that is all covering up that Disney will be manipulating you to control crowds. I’ll stick with Touring Plans.

8 Likes

Crush is not a Premier Access option. Where did you see this?

2 Likes

Yes! They should just come out and give you a schedule to abide by and be up front about it. Maybe a cattle prod when we get tired and behind schedule to zap us. It could be called MagicProdPlus!

8 Likes

Tagline: You’re going to have fun, dammit!

12 Likes

I’m not asking this to be flippant, or to troll, but because I genuinely don’t know: why else did you think Disney spent $4 billion+ on NextGen - the umbrella name for MDE, magic bands, and all the technology that ties the guest experience together - if it wasn’t to increase effective capacity without construction?

3 Likes

Just FYI, here is an actual example of the random questions asked in an online survey

Which of the following activities did you do last weekend? Please select all that apply.

Went bungee jumping

Visited McGrath, Alaska

Flew in a helicopter

Visited a flea market

Went skiing

Watched TV

Went Geocaching

Played poker

None of the above

1 Like

Yup. MDE has ALWAYS been about manipulating crowds. That’s why the inflated wait times, the magicbands at first, now Magic Mobile.
They’re always watching what you’re riding, what stores you visit, whether you buy anything. How much they can increase food and merch prices before people stop buying them.
It’s all data mining for the purpose of steering you where they want you to go.

2 Likes