This Was Supposed To Be A Solo Trip - A Trip Report

:thinking:

I can’t remember if we ever talked about this specifically. Businesses have to track uncleared checks and deposits in transit, but most individuals aren’t writing checks very often these days. Auto-draft, auto-deposit. Just have to know how much you need in the account to meet your expenses.

We did have a unit on checks for business law, but it was about how ownership of a check transfers based on the signature trail. (Honestly, who signs a check over to someone else? Such a dumb idea.)

3 Likes

Same. I think that’s fundamentally different though, even though it is a similar process. Balancing your checkbook is so you know what your balance is at any given point in time, including checks that haven’t cleared yet.

4 Likes

Good point. Although, I can just subtract that one check I write each month easily :wink:

3 Likes

Neither do I.

DH started keeping track of everything after we were charged, for years, for a subscription I forgot to cancel.

7 Likes

I balance it daily and also balance it with my budget to make sure we stay within our budgeted amounts.

2 Likes

Is that how you got out of it? :rofl: Crap I’m behind on this knowledge.

4 Likes

YNAB, baby! Changed our family’s life. Hits some people’s brains right, mine included.

6 Likes

We use YNAB too. :upside_down_face:
YNAB Friday finds are my favorite.

5 Likes

You’re Not A Bitch??

7 Likes

Close. You need a budget. But no, I’m definitely not a bitch either.

7 Likes

I need to try this. My aversion to numbers gets me in trouble.

4 Likes

I will hands down say if you are signing up watch some of the youtube videos first. It will help. And boy oh boy did I have our budget totally wrong- for months. But once you realize what you actually spend money on it’s an amazing tool. I now call it my spending plan because that is all a budget really is.

7 Likes

See, that’s my problem. I don’t wanna know! :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

It will tell I’m spending a ridiculous amount of :moneybag: on Disney, then what?

6 Likes

Then it’s fine. I spend a ridiculous amount of money on Disney too. It doesn’t mean you have to stop. It just means you budget for it so the average person doesn’t have credit card debt. It’s really helped us figure out where we want our money to go (mine is the Big D) and helped us reach savings goals.

6 Likes

As a financial planner, the language you’re using to describe spending and budgeting is :100:.
Way to go.
Spend money on what you really love!!! #intentionality

7 Likes

Thank you! I’m a work in progress!

5 Likes

TWSS :eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

:clap:

1 Like

Another happy YNABer. I’ve used it since 2015. There can be a bit of a learning curve. I’d suggest Nick True’s Youtube videos on how to get started and how to handle credit cards. He’s a great explainer. If you still need help, the Reddit group is very friendly and helpful.

4 Likes

I can’t tell you how many times I had to “make a fresh start” when we first started using it. It was an embarrassingly high number of times :rofl: Then I discovered the YouTube videos and they helped tremendously

3 Likes