Theming vs Immersion vs Suspension of Disbelief

I have to say that I have never once thought I was anywhere other than in a theme park in Orlando, FL. Don’t get me wrong, I love the attention to detail that goes into the lands, but they are still just movie sets that I can walk through - along with thousands of other people who wouldn’t be there if the location was “real”. Probably the closest WDW comes is KS; the African landscape has been very well recreated, the animals are certainly real, and the vehicle is not completely unlike a vehicle that might be used on an actual African “tourist” safari trip. Even more so in the case of WAT.

You still sound like you’re trying to justify watching POV videos to me and I genuinely don’t know why.
I don’t really care who watches them and would never negatively judge people who did so.

I was just trying to converse

Interesting topic!

I feel like I don’t get immersed anywhere very easily. When we were at SWGE it was a very busy time which I think took a toll on the experience. Large crowds definitely make it feel more like a theme park, less like a “far away land”.

Actually the most immersive experience for me, as an adult, has probably been AK as a whole. It gives me the strongest feeling that I’m somewhere else, in another country. Particularly the Asia and Africa parts with all the detailed theming, vegetation etc. and of course the safari which makes you forget you’re in a theme park.

As a child, the most immersive experience I remember was walking into the Mexico pavilion in WS for the first time. For a kid it really felt like walking into a whole other world. I think the key here was that it was unexpected and it’s a pretty realistic space that feels like you’re outside when you just walked into a building.

2 Likes