Theming vs Immersion vs Suspension of Disbelief

It’s interesting to think about this from kids vs adults perspective. I thought ROTR was incredibly immersive and I could have believed I was really there if I’d let myself, but my 7 year old legitimately believed he’d left the planet and was about to die at the hands of a Stormtrooper - we had planned to rider swap but there was no way he was going back on it. Similarly when he got off the stage at Jedi Training and we asked him what he thought he said “I thought Darth Vader was going to kill me!”

6 Likes

Yes! So much so that my family prefers UOR over WDW as a whole!

King’s Cross Station, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley really have no competition in regards to authentic theming.

6 Likes

I totally agree. While I don’t think I am in these places, I feel totally immersed in something resembling these places, like a storybook version of them.

Which brings me to night time parades. Main Street Electric Parade and Paint the Night always felt to me like slipping into a fantasy, for just a moment. The lights go down and the magical things parade in front of you and then disappear. BOO to You was like this the first time when I watched it in front of Rivers of America with the fog rolling in. Magical. Then I watched it at the railway station with no fog and brighter lights: cute parade.

5 Likes

Oh poor guy!!!

1 Like

I think your example of WWOHP is what made it clear to me. There, as opposed to Remy, I’m me. Like, I’m not pretending or need to pretend to be anything other than a human woman. I can be a human woman walking through Diagon Alley and it’s perfectly believable to my brain. I can’t however, be a mouse or a toy. My brain can’t ever pretend that I am a mouse or toy. Ever. So to suspend disbelief, I think depends on how much suspending is necessary.

I find it far easier to interact with face characters than fur characters. Probably it’s the facial expressions and actual words. I’m uncomfortable around fur characters because I can’t track what the person inside is thinking or feeling by reading their facial expressions or body language.

6 Likes

I think that this is a wonderful point

6 Likes

What person inside?

5 Likes

Oh shoot!!! Sorry. Never mind!!! :blush:

2 Likes

When I watch a Magician and he wants me to look at his left hand, I focus completely on the left hand. I don’t WANT to know how those things are done, so I am all about Suspension of Disbelief. Do I actually think they are doing ‘magic’? No. But, I’m happy with “Something really neat was just done.”

Some places are much better - um - magicians. Seussland at Universal is a good example of lovely theming but zero immersion. Although, I think an immersive Seussland would be creepy with the weird shapes.

2 Likes

Spoiler below

So the part in MMRR where you’re going down a waterfall TOTALLY achieved suspension of disbelief for me. That one moment, I was actually disoriented and thinking HOW DID I GET IN A WATERFALL?? I generally agree w most of the comments above, but the use of tech to achieve this feeling - much like the breathing of the banshees in fop - stood out to me as being utterly convincing with little to no work on my part.

2 Likes

My DH laughed at that point and said, “They got me!”

1 Like

This is a great example. My DH still believes we were actually tipped forward and I can’t convince him otherwise. It was a really superb effect.

3 Likes

You just reminded me that there have been at least two truly “whoa, what?” moments at WDW that can only be experienced once…

The very first time I rode Peter Pan, I didn’t notice the track above the ride vehicles. So when the ride began & I saw that the track below us was ending, there was just the briefest moment of, “wait, what?!? How in the world… Oh… wow, cool!!!”

There was also a moment on Mr. Toad all those years ago when in the dark a “train” is coming at you and you’re about to collide with it, and… you pass right through it. Because there’s nothing there. Just a light. But it sure looks like you’re about to collide with a train, and I was waiting for one of us to veer off…

I do think that the youtube and the internet has spoiled some things. Someone told me to not watch any rides (especially the new Harry Potter roller coaster) before riding, so as not to spoil it. Glad I didn’t.

5 Likes

This reminds me that probably the best first-ride experience I’ve ever had was Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. The ride doesn’t quite pack the same punch after the 200th ride through, but that first time was bonkers. So many surprises!

1 Like

Wow, sounds awesome. Disneyland has long been on my bucket list. Haven’t been there since (I think) 1995 or so, before the 2nd park opened. I have a good college friend in Sunny L.A. that’s long overdue for a visit.

1 Like

Our first time on EE. I had no idea it went backwards. Such fun (after the briefest of moments thinking ‘is this supposed to happen?!’) :rofl::rofl:

Only if you decide to watch beforehand. Seems like a bad idea unless you’re checking for suitability for kids or similar.
I don’t think I would ever choose to watch a pov before riding irl.

2 Likes

For some people/families POV videos are really helpful. I almost always have my kids watch POV. DS12 has sensory processing disorder, and knowing what to expect as far as sounds, lights, movement etc really helps him. DD10 also benefits because she has anxiety and needs to always know what she is about to experience. She is very fearful that she is not going to like something and then be trapped in a situation that makes her uncomfortable. We’re kind of starting to get her over her fear of seeing a movie or play in a theater, although of course now theaters are closed :pensive: I can see how spoilers ruin things for many people, but also some people need spoilers :grin:

I am trying to steer clear of spoilers for the Mummy at Universal Studios because I really want to enjoy the experience for the first time, but it’s really the first time I’ve cared

3 Likes

You seem to channel my feelings on all of these rides! Indiana Jones darts. I squeal everytime. Sometimes O throw up my hands to protect my face.

1 Like

You quoted me out of context. I literally said above your quote…

FYI The Mummy is really scary.

2 Likes

I was not trying to be argumentative, I’m sorry if that was the tone of my post. I was just trying to elaborate/build upon. I can imagine the situation that I presented would apply to adults who have anxiety, SPD, or simply don’t like surprises. For us and people like us, it goes beyond just checking to see if the ride is too scary, or age appropriate, some people need to have the surprises ruined for them or they can’t even have courage to get on the ride. Even if it is PPF or Journey into the Imagination.

The Mummy is only going to be ridden by DH and me, I know about one part in particular that would be a no-go for my kids. And yes I am really freaked out not knowing what to expect on the ride but I want to experience that thrill of not knowing just this once.

1 Like