The Walt Disney Company is developing a new regional campus in Orlando

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt-disney-company/news/15jul2021-disney-to-develop-a-brand-new-regional-campus-in-central-florida-for-disney-parks,-experiences-and-products-segment.htm?fbclid=IwAR2ylDHzOl4uA3RIAQ0VH2zCDvKuwWcn8x7UKM3N5FBzJmM1Sw8xwkwklHU

In a memo to staff, D’Amaro said, “While we are still determining exactly which of our team members will be based there, we expect that most Southern California-based DPEP professional roles that are not fully dedicated to the Disneyland Resort or, in some cases, the international parks business, will be asked to relocate to this new Florida campus.”

I think I had heard rumors of this being in the works. It only makes sense. Lake Nona is about to get a massive upgrade (I hear it’s a nice little town as is)

2 Likes

Whatever was the historical Lake Nona has been overrun with platted developments and the first smattering of big box and chain outlets. As is the case in Florida, there’s basically one main road, and it’s probably three-quarters of the way to functional capacity already.

One wonders how much the state and county have greased Disney to bring these largely-relocated-and-not-actually-new-jobs.

1 Like

Florida doesn’t need to grease anything - they’ll save gobs of money being out of CA. And their employees will have a lower cost of living. Plus I think this makes sense to be closer to their premier resort.

I do hope they are flexible with employees, as they promise to be. Transferring is hard and not always an option for some.

2 Likes

(you’re doing it again)

2 Likes

I will say that they were a phenomenal company to work for, in my personal opinion. And the only ones I ever heard complain were the ones who I felt were a poor fit for the company to begin with. I hope the move won’t be a problem either, instead that they see it as the adventure it could be!

I know :frowning_face: And I’m sorry. Anxiety’s a bitch

1 Like

But look at me trying to see the positive! Baby steps. And Tequila. Just kidding.

-ish.

2 Likes

Good make them visit the park and see how things are week to week. Most announcements for wdw lack all the sparkles and fun DL gets. Hoping to see improvement in what is offered.

2 Likes

It makes sense. My understanding is it’s primarily people whose work is focused on WDW. Like, for the Imagineers that work on projects for WDW actually being close by would be helpful. On Disney Dish Jim and Len have both talked about how CA-based Imagineering doesn’t always seem to prioritize or take into account WDW when they are doing WDW projects. Hopefully it works out better than when they used to have part of Feature Animation there.

3 Likes

Just realized that I, a Disneyland guy, called WDW the “premier resort.” I suppose that’s apt. Maybe Disneyland is the crown jewel? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

1 Like

Düde, Lake Nona wouldn’t even exist if the Florida state government hadn’t shoveled about $300 million into its development.

Don’t take my word for it, the private equity company that developed it gives pride of place to a puff piece that Fortune did about the development back in 2014.

The two largest non-medical tenants, KPMG and the U.S. Tennis Association, both got economic incentives to locate there.

Disney has ample land and existing office space in the form of the Team Disney building, across from Disney Springs, and in Celebration. Why choose a location 20 miles away that doesn’t even have the available class-A office space yet?

1 Like

Oh I’m not saying Florida / Lake Nona didn’t try to sweeten the pot for Disney to move to Florida, or to Lake Nona specifically. Just saying it’s already incentive enough for Disney to leave CA.

1 Like