The struggle is real! Which week to pick?

So my 10yo, who will be entering into middle school informed me recently that she would not like to miss too many days of school for our next disney world vacation! Ummmm what?..who are you? Not my child for sure. The whole “mother knows best” sing from tangled keeps playing in my head right now, Lol. Jokes aside…when do we go? I would like to respect her loyalty to her studies but i have never done any other times of the year except when Kids are typically in school. I am from jersey so I narrowed our “not too many days missed” weeks to the last week of Aug 22-28 2021 or jersey week oct 31 till nov 6th 2021? Interested to here any opinions. Anyone been either of those weeks? Or I could leave her home? :rofl:

2 Likes

If you can avoid Jersey Week you should. The parks are insanely packed. It’s almost as if every person from that area descends on Orlando

I have been in late August and it’s much better. A majority of schools start back by August 15th making park level much more manageable.

1 Like

We went nov1-6 in 2018… right before Jersey week started I believe. It was a great time to go for us. Nice weather… our crowds weren’t bad. Not sure if it got busier after we left. Just watch out for the marathon weekend.

1 Like

Heat managable? Been there in late Sept before with some 93 degree days and tolerated it for the most part.

I’m from TN… So… a 93 temp day is pretty normal for me… I’m probably not the best person to judge it :wink::sweat_smile:

It does get really humid. You are in swampland after all. It’s going to be hot at either time, even in Florida’s version of Fall and “winter”. Wear light clothing and a hat. Put on sunblock and drink lots of water - not soda.

2 Likes

Haha well looks like a split response!

I would look at last year and the year before crowd levels for whenever jersey week was that year to get a good idea what to expect.

2 Likes

We were there for the beginning of Jersey Week this year. Crowds were very manageable and the weather was great. We were there with our 3 year old and 5 month old and didn’t have a significant wait for anything.

I’d much rather deal with heavier crowds than the heat, but that’s obviously personal preference.

3 Likes

If it were me, I’d try to gently nudge her to embrace the real-world educational value of travel and family vacations in the most magical place on Earth. We are going again next fall and my kids will miss a whole week, but hopefully it will be ok. They are good students, mostly conscientious about making up their work. But out of your choices, I would go end Oct-Nov. July-Sept are rough temperature wise IMO.

1 Like

I’ve been during Jersey Week and didn’t think it was that crowded.
Late August will still be brutally hot.

1 Like

There is definitley a trade off for sure. Heat versus potentially more people. Hmmmm. :thinking:

I would like to believe the whole state doesnt go to WDW…i mean not like its a ghost town around here or anything during that week? It would be cheaper to go in Aug but i might melt.

1 Like

I would have given anything for my mom to let me miss a week of school, seriously. We were just there in this past year and the teacher said she didnt miss a step. I think she may be worried that 7th grade may be a little more of a challenge for her. I could give her the alternate scenarios of heat vs crowds and she may come around?

1 Like

Exactly!
I did just realize that November 5-8 is Wine and Dine race weekend so that’s worth noting.
Not sure if you are interested in any of the parties but we did MNSSHP on Halloween and it was awesome (and not as crowded as I anticipated).
And the first Christmas party for 2020 I believe is November 6th.

1 Like

Points noted…also positives for that week! Call is Hallochristmas?

1 Like

That’s perfect. Doing a Halloween and Christmas party during the same week, would be amazing in my opinion.

Theres just so much wrong with that! :rofl::rofl: It’s like when you enter the store on the afternoon of Oct 31, and all the Halloween stuff is in clearance bins, and the whole store is covered in Christmas trees and Santas. It’s just unsettling.

3 Likes

I know–that’s why it’s so wonderful!

2 Likes

Cannot argue with that Disney logic. MNSSHP is on my bucket list.

2 Likes

Disney logic is the best!!:joy:

1 Like

I sing this to my kids all the time.

I would go in October. I’ve been in August and although it’s very manageable it’s hotter than the surface of the sun and wetter than the amazon rainforest. I don’t go then if I have the choice not to.

3 Likes