The drug known as "Disney"

Well, if anyone is planning to go the first week of December, 2020, let me know…

2 Likes

I’ll admit, I’m kind of spoiled, since I lived my whole life in the US, aside from a few vacations across the border into Canada. But even for someone who has effectively spent his entire life in the US, WDW is STILL the icing on the cake. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another factor, I think is escapism. When you enter WDW you forget about everything else in your life and in the world. There’s no work stress, no politics. You don’t feel the need to check your phone every eight seconds. You don’t watch any tv, or read any newspapers.

People talk about WDW being a bubble. It is. It’s a bubble that protects you from the world. Even for people like me — I’m fortunate in many ways — life can be hard/difficult/stressful. WDW gives you a complete escape from that.

Even — dare I say it — it gives me respite from my dog. God knows I love him, but sometimes he’s an anchor around my neck. He severely limits my freedom. Not having him with me means I can do whatever I want without any guilt. And it also makes coming home so much easier, because I’m coming back to him.

10 Likes

Yes! This.

2 Likes

I’m trying to resist the temptation to get political. The US is a hugely flawed place. But it’s also a hugely beautiful and hugely exciting place.

I used to be a little addicted to Las Vegas. I once described it as “Disney World for grown-ups”. Until I discovered that Disney World is for grown-ups.

7 Likes

Undoubtedly. This is why I love how our constitution starts, in part, with, “In order to form a more perfect union…” and how the Declaration of Independence has, “…the pursuit of happiness…” Recognition that it isn’t perfect now, and will be an on-going pursuit. And while I’m moving into religious territory, I’ll quote this: “For all have sinned and fall short…” This sums up all peoples everywhere, including the US!

But, I mean, come on. The US has WDW. That moves it to the top of the list right there! :wink:

This is true. I’ve been to over 30 of the states, and amazed at the beauty. Particularly this one particular area in the Orlando area…

The last time I was in Las Vegas, we were just driving through on our way to California. I was like 12. And I got yelled at in K-Mart because I was standing too close to the slot machines.

1 Like

I can’t agree with this paragraph more. Well said.

3 Likes

It occurs to me that another factor is this website.

We all know how addicting the internet can be. This site as much as any. It feeds and encourages the addiction.

Would I be going back to WDW this year if I’d quit TP after my trip last year?

3 Likes

That’s true, I know I would have been going back but maybe not this soon. Though it will be 3 years, so not that soon!

I think for us it’s being in the Disney bubble and escaping from reality as a family. After our 2016 trip, I was pretty adamant about returning. We just came back from our second trip as a family and I think I am satisfied with waiting until more of the new attractions are open. We had a wonderful trip and miss the feeling of being out of the “real world”, but I also don’t want to go so often that it loses all the magic we enjoy so much.

1 Like

I’ve got to say, you have said it perfectly!

1 Like

I am truly an addict. I completely understand where you are coming from. This past trip Feb/Mar 2018 I purchased an AP you know for the discounts and Memory Maker :wink: As soon as wee get home hubby and I are both trying to figure out when we can go back. We squirm and squiggle our schedules and decide we can go for 3 days the last weekend in May (Memorial Day) then of course later we decide we can add an additional day, then of course we can book early flights on Friday so now our 3 day trip is completely 5 days 4 nights. This trip hubby will be purchasing an AP because of course if we both have an AP it will make these trips come more frequently. I am constantly looking at Southwest flights from Indianapolis to see when the next good “weekend” is to go. The crowds don’t bother us we will go whenever we can. The next “BIG” trip is in the works for Fall Break with our two middle sons 15, 12. We have six kiddos have started taking them on the big trips two at a time. This way we get to go to Disney more often :slight_smile: and we can have the time to focus on the kiddos we are with. So the next step in our Disney Journey is becoming DVC members which makes a ton of sense for us. This is definitely an addiction and one that we enjoy and as long as we are providing for the kids and holding onto our jobs then its all good. I think :joy:

January 2003 Disneyland Day Trip
January 2008 Epcot day trip (2 adults)
April 2009 ASM (3 adults 1 kid)
March 2013 POR (2adults 3kids)
March 2016 Coronado (8kids 3 adults)
Sept 2016 Caribbean Beach / OKW (2 adults)
May 2017 POFQ (2adults)
Feb/Mar 2018 POP (2adults 2kids)
May 2018 POP (2adults)
Oct 2018 ?? (2adults 2kids)

5 Likes

It absolutely is a drug. And I’m completely addicted. It was a slow downward spiral. It started as an annual trip which turned into DVC membership. That meant 2 trips a year. But then it was purchasing an AP and that meant 3-5 trips a year. My friends have suggested an intervention to stop my addiction. I declined.

4 Likes

Well, that’s just silly. An intervention at this point would undermine any value in purchasing a DVC Membership!

2 Likes

Exactly!

This!!! I swear I was not addicted to Disney until I found that little Chat button on the app in 2013, despite having joined TP in 2011. Here I am…it’s 5 years later and many, many thousands of dollars have been spent on way more trips than any rational person should ever take…and yet I obsess every day about how to have MORE trips. Right now I am planning DL in July with my DS14, maybe DL in August with my DD16, September in DL with my Liner friends, and December in WDW with friends. And don’t forget next spring break when I will take both kids to WDW and Universal for 11 days and spend another 6 or 8K, who even knows anymore how much I have spent but IT IS A LOT! Damn that little Chat button on the app!

5 Likes

:raised_hands:t2: This. It’s the simplicity that we wish the real world had. Your whole post reads like the story of the life of a human combination of me and my husband. He thought he would hate it. He ended up loving it. And this is why.

1 Like

21st - 27th for us.

1 Like

My intervals have gotten shorter and shorter. Magic has stayed the same, if not grown. Just so you know :wink::wink:

2 Likes

Sadly, this is money that should be going into my kids college fund. $12,000 gone.

1 Like