The Disney Dish Thread

If you had access to Disney’s branding, fonts, style guides, etc., would you be able to layer it into your app without making it too slow? Or is the bare bones nature necessary to make it work quickly (I know TP has said this is true for their app.)

Slightly related question: if they really did hire you, would you be able to turn your app into something that would look at home in MDE?

1 Like

Do phones cache graphics like computers? Or do the have to be reloaded each time?

1 Like

Yes, they can. A lot of images and other assets are built into the app, though, so they don’t even have to be downloaded on the fly.

4 Likes

It helps, I’m sure, but I don’t think those assets are the major cause of the perceived performance difference between MDE and BG1.

I don’t see why not. Even though it would look quite a bit different, the fundamental aspects that make BG1 effective are independent of its aesthetics.

5 Likes

I went back a little bit to see if they had done it a lot before, but couldn’t find anything. I think you’re right! That’s so cool!

3 Likes

Let us when you get the fruit basket from Jim Hill! :drooling_face::cherries::apple::watermelon::strawberry::peach:

5 Likes

Really enjoy the podcast, think Jim and Len are a great team. While they are critical of Disney, I don’t feel they are unfair. Realizing Len usually has inside knowledge, I do disagree with one point… I cannot see Disney making people stay up until midnight to purchase Genie + then expect them to be up at 7am to book their 1st LL.

I’m one person who did enjoy the Genie + experience on my last trip (late April). I’m going to give The Mouse the benefit of the doubt until this flushes itself out.

4 Likes

But that’s kind of how it’s set up to function as of 6/8.

You don’t have to do it that way, but if you don’t stay up til midnight you might not even have the option to use G+ because it will sell out. And if you don’t get back up at 6:55 to be ready to book, the good stuff will be gone by whenever you do get up.

So that’s 6h55m of sleep.

3 Likes

i should clarify – I don’t think that Disney is going to limit the amount of people who can purchase Genie + to the point where you’ll need to stay up until midnight

1 Like

When is your next trip? Will you test this out for us? :grimacing:

3 Likes

The good news is that my next trip won’t be until next fall. Have a chance to see how this plays out.

1 Like

Ah.

Well I’m not sure, especially in the early days, that you’ll find anyone who wants G+ taking the gamble to not buy it at midnight. After all, the expectation is that this is intended to scale it back and improve guest satisfaction with the product, so if they aren’t going to limit sales pretty significantly it’s not going to have that effect.

Perhaps someone who is going but doesn’t particularly care will try to purchase G+ at least hourly from midnight forward to see when it runs out.

3 Likes

Well, Disney could, if they wanted to, only begin selling Genie+ at 6:30am for same day sales. Or they could be a lot nicer and start selling Genie+ at park opening for same day sales. They’re making up all the rules as they go along.

2 Likes

I’m heading to WDW in September and was looking at the possibility of moving my dates. I told my wife that if we did it, we had to make the decision and the change before June 8. Even though it would be a modification and my TA thinks we wouldn’t lose, it, I’d hate to lose G+ for the duration of the trip. We ended up not changing our dates, but I was nervous about it. The TA said that they thought we would keep the tickets and just change the dates, but you never know. I’ve heard some crazy stories on here about people’s plans getting jacked up because of one small change.

Frankly, I’m kinda hoping that they limit the number of sales. I know that isn’t necessarily fair, but something has got to give. I just got back from UOR and wish they could figure out something similar to that. I just don’t ever see them giving it away to Deluxe resort stays for free like UOR does. But there has to be a way to make it better.

If my trip doesn’t go well, it may be the last for awhile. I was hoping Tron would be open by then, but that doesn’t look like it will happen, but other than that, there’s nothing else looming on the horizon to make me want to return if the customer experience sucks.

1 Like

the highlight of my walk today was wondering if the bubbles in the episode was thee @Bubblez.

indeed. (and great replies to the survey.)

7 Likes

opening sales at 6:30am adds more to that 6:30 - 7:30 am bottle neck of purchases and bookings.

leave G+ at midnight, make it hard to get at 6am onwards and they shift those G+ buying interact qiuet period.

I also dont think you will have to stay up till midnight to guarantee G+… I do think you might have ti get up at 5am to guarantee it though on busy days.

4 Likes

Maybe Disney is considering a new way to have advanced Genie+ sales. Like giving it to club level guests or people who buy packages from them. Who knows. :woman_shrugging:t2: But since the feedback is that people hate having to get up at 7 for this, I would think that they won’t keep the start of the day of buying window at midnight unless they really plan to severely limit the availability and are trying to entice guests to buy in advance. Otherwise people will just be angrier.

1 Like

im not sure why buying for next day doesnt just open at midday day before.

again unless IT are so struggling that shifting anything they can to midnight - 6.59 AM is a needed aim.

2 Likes

Well Disney doesn’t make anyone on the West Coast wake up at 3am to book dining either…

4 Likes

For me staying up till midnight is preferable to waking up at 5am. :rofl:

4 Likes