The Disney Dish Thread

I go to WDW every 4 or 5 years. I’m not certain our to-do lists line up. I’m not trying to argue - just explain my disappointment, but I’ll keep soldiering on. :grinning:

5 Likes

Yes. The real asset we have is our ability and willingness to share information and discover new and better ways of doing Disney. Pound for pound TP has the sharpest and most pleasant wdw fans on the internet.

6 Likes

Have you ever used the touring plans reservation finder? Do you consider that a cheat? It’s kind of the same thing in my mind.

2 Likes

How is that a cheat if Len is paying someone to check for reservations?

2 Likes

Who is Len paying? I don’t think that’s how it works. My understanding is he’s hitting the Disney API.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with what Len does here.

2 Likes

He is not hitting the Disney API. There are a few threads around here. I will try to link one. I believe the people that are doing the searches are overseas, but it is not scanning software.

Let’s see if I can get this to link correctly:

4 Likes

Interesting, I always thought it was the API.

That said though, the lines app absolutely hits the API to get posted wait times, FP return times (back in the day), etc

I guess what it comes down to is I personally don’t see using Disney’s public APIs as a cheat - leading reservations, absolutely. Some of the old magic band swap tricks, definitely. But all Joel is doing is creating a slightly better interface over what Disney themselves provide, not Even creating a bot that automates things. Though I understand that people may have differing opinions on this.

7 Likes

It would be a cheat if it stole it from someone else. Or used bots to search (which is why I won’t use the other options). But yes I’ve used it.

3 Likes

(Post not empty)

3 Likes

Sorry if my comment came across as a bit flippant… I was more just curious as to what your criteria was, and I realize it may have come across a bit harsher than I intended.

1 Like

It’s okay. I know where my line is and it has a lot to do with loopholing in a way that could take away from someone else at best and at worst contributes to the things people do to -in my mind - steal an advantage.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that you meant to reply to me here? Or, if you did, my comment to Mike was in response to his question about res finder.

BG1 kind of hacks the code being used for VQ/LL$ doesn’t it? Which IMO is worse than using a bot (which res finder doesn’t do, and is why it’s the only one I will use).

And besides, if it’s not a cheat why would anyone care that word could get out? Because it could level the playing ground again?

3 Likes

(Added quote to previous post)

I understand your viewpoint. Especially since you are a TA working with many families and want the same results and fair opportunities for everyone.

2 Likes

You don’t have to agree with me or even understand my viewpoint.

But to be clear fairness is always important to me and that’s just about who I am and has nothing to do with my role as a TA

3 Likes

I get where you’re coming from. I consider it more like knowing that you can rope drop Tomorrowland by going through Tomorrowland Terrace. Anyone can do it, but it’s an advantage for those who know the secret. If everyone knows, the advantage is lost (or diminished).

Similar with “refresh method” for FPP. It’s something anyone could do, but those who don’t know lose out on more and better FPPs than those who do. If everyone knew, FPPs would have run out more quickly.

I think everyone will have their own line and that’s fine. Personally I do feel a little iffy on BG1, but I have no problem with Liners using it. In the meantime I’d like it to remain on the DL so it doesn’t become obsolete.

5 Likes

Yes ma’am. It sure is a shame that Disney is now only affordable to the middle class and not the lower class. :man_shrugging: :wink:

2 Likes

I actually agree with you there.

4 Likes

Great debate…now we got Len chiming in.

Based on my limited understanding of BG1, I think of it like VHS -vs- Beta Max or an Automated phone line -vs- waiting on hold for person to direct your call.

Disney IT has done a horrible job at making their tools user friendly and stable enough for the large amount of their customers. Giving users the ability to use a more stable interface and one that reports the data more accurately is a good thing.

It sucks that you think you are getting one reservation time for your LL$ and it ends up being something completely different when you accept it. Or the case of finally getting that coveted attraction and the interface crashes before you can accept it.

8 Likes

I’m honestly very curious as to his opinion on this and API use in general.

1 Like

While it used to, the Lines app does not use any Disney API (nor any page) to get any attraction info at all, as far as I know. (I mean, David and Brad run the site, I’m just the pretty face.)

I think BG1 is very well engineered. To be blunt, Joel put more time into thinking about the user experience than did Disney. And since it uses the same calls and code, just in a different order, it’s hard to even call it a ‘hack’, let alone a ‘cheat’. Honestly, I think BG1 is a bug fix if it’s anything.

As far as knowing about BG1, I think we all know that information isn’t distributed evenly, and that people with more information have more advantage. One of the reasons I mentioned BG1 is to point out to people that that information is available.

@joelbruick - sorry for not running my recommendation by you first. I probably should have.

21 Likes