The Disney Dish Thread

Too soon…

1 Like

Smart thinking. Round things roll downhill easily.

Just give 'er a nudge each night. And then roll it back up to where it can sleep.

They could rename the show to work in the name Sisyphus

6 Likes

that it imprisoned Jim Hill in some kind of dimensional vortex along with General Zod, Ursa, and Non?

I’d buy that for a dollar.

4 Likes

Pretty sure that was the show I saw last time I was there. In 2000.
That show was awesome

2 Likes

I have no thoughts on Harmonious because I haven’t seen it. communicore, I loved that place. The podcast was taking me down memory lane. The reservation thing was awesome. It was a bit like the original fastpass. I recall a rush at rope drop to get there to make your reservation (@len the Italian restaurant at the time was great). What really stood out to me in the exhibits was the video calling. I realize that they were doing it with the reservation system, but the idea of having it in a home in 1983 blew my mind.

Of course I’m typing this on a small handheld device that probably has more processing power than the entire room combined.

3 Likes

Today Jim and Len talked about a few subjects, including a survey that went out about the Galactic Starcruiser, and some preliminary media reactions (a media event is happening later this week and the full review embargo ends February 25th I believe). The takeaway so far is that all the elements of the Starcruiser experience are great; the price is just too high.

So here’s my question for you this week:

What is the most you would pay for the Galactic Starcruiser? (Assume the 2-night experience in a standard cabin for a family of 4.)

• I’d pay much more that they are asking (Shhh! Don’t tell Disney!)
  • ~$6,000 (actual price)
  • $5,000
  • $4,000
  • $3,000
  • $2,000
  • $1,000
  • I’m not interested regardless of price

0 voters

Please clarify for me - how many sleeps does this include?

1 Like

Its two nights, not two days. Maybe it was a typo.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I have based it on current per-night fares for actual cruises right now.

I just don’t think they are going to offer anything that will be nearly worth what they are charging

2 Likes

Yes sorry I should have written 2-night. It’s really 1.5 days. Just the regular experience.

Oh man.

2 nights 1.5 days?

I was thinking 2 nights/3 days

Oy.

I haven’t followed this closely since they came out with pricing. Because yeah, no.

3 Likes

That makes sense. I was actually basing it on hotel rates in the lowest category at a Deluxe for 2 nights, then 100 pp for the entry tickets into HS and then food/entertainment.
Your methodology is also sound as they ARE billing it as a land cruise after all.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a very brief experience. You arrive between 1-4pm on the first day, have an evening meal and entertainment, sleep, then have a full day with a trip to Batuu, three meals, and entertainment, sleep, and then leave right after breakfast on the third day.

1 Like

That time schedule is very much in line with a typical cruise schedule.

1 Like

I did another poll on the same subject last year and in one of the posts I did a calculation of the value of the elements of the experience. I came up with ~$4,000. You could quibble with the entertainment value - that’s the one piece I think remains to be seen.

1 Like

I think that the big issue is that what we’ve seen so far of the theming is less than what we’d been primed to expect. So while i get where your initial numbers came from, i think in recent light of things it may be overestimated.

They thought it was going to be so popular that they could charge whatever they wanted to make it exclusive and price out the riff raff.
I’m not sure that’s the way its actually going to pan out.

8 Likes

I’ve been more interested in it more recently as we get ready for the initial “sailings.”

I’m anxious for regular people to go. Like they said on Disney dish today the initial reports are gonna be all media people who didn’t pay a penny of their own cash to go

6 Likes

Yeah, and they have a vested interest in not saying anything too negative lest they get blacklisted from the Disney press list.
I’ve been wondering lately if this is going to end up being Chapeks Euro Disney. Even though it was begun under Iger, i suspect that if there are bad reviews it will be due to his cost cutting measures and will be held against him.

ETA: And i won’t be sad about it if it happens.

8 Likes

Interesting. His end could come at the hands of Star Wars fans who feel jilted by a less-than experience.

I like it

7 Likes

For comparison with DCL, the only 2-night cruise (which would be an identical timeframe to this) is a San Diego/Baja route, and the only one on the schedule right now is during Spring Break, and is $3K for a family of 4 (verandah suite). I think that’s overpriced for that particular short cruise, but possibly fair for the Starcruiser.

So with the Disney upcharge already built into both, the extra immersion and the value of the included “excursion” to HS have to be worth the remaining $3K. I’m skeptical the food can match what’s on any Disney Cruise. My guess is this is priced too high, but willing to be proven wrong. If enough people do something that’s priced too high, then it is not priced too high.

3 Likes