The Apocalypse? Or another Y2K

So, I’m beginning to think that the hype about SWGE is just that: hype. Based not only on my own limited sampling of availability of rooms, as well as a similar vlog by DIS Unplugged, I think there will be an uptick, but not a full-on flood. As such, I predict that SWGE in September at WDW will not be the apocalypse, but another Y2K (that is…pretty much a non-event).

We’ll see if I’m right. But I just believe the hardcore fans are going to wait until Rise of the Resistance, and those who are mildly interested MIGHT change their plans, or just leave them as is. There WILL be more than usual, I’m sure, although I wouldn’t be surprised if it isolated more to weekends than weekdays.

3 Likes

Every Star Wars fan I have talked to said they are waiting several YEARS to visit Disney so they can avoid the masses. I think Disney planned the opening of this very well. 29 August - families are either back to school or are in serious prep mode to get their children back to the new school year.

5 Likes

You have no idea how much I want to believe this. Haha. Hoping it calms down a bit after the first holiday weekend and the second ride not open lessens the load (trip is 9/2-9/10). Numerous people I know that will make a trip for this (wouldn’t otherwise go to Disney) will not be pulling kids out of school or spending the money until the land is fully open.

3 Likes

I bet your right! With the caveat that maybe weekends will be even more crowded?? But when the second ride opens maybe more visitors. I just can’t see diehards flying or traveling for one ride. I guess we will see… and if it can all go back to normal for Fall 2020
That would be great!

2 Likes

After this next trip in May, I’m waiting for the SW hotel- and they just broke ground on that recently. So I agree, it’ll be a couple of years until we go to SW:GE. And I’m not taking the kids, because I’m predicting it’s going to off-the-charts expensive. (And they’re all grown up anyway).

3 Likes

Ahem…

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Poor reading on my part! Or great minds think alike??? :joy:

1 Like

Based on rooms, it’s hard to say anything because thanks to the discounts, there was already a very limited availability.

Studios has been dead to me for a while, so in that sense it doesn’t affect me. But where it will is if Studios is constantly getting closed to capacity and the people spilling into the other parks. THAT is what I’m concerned about for my last weekend of September trip. (Which IS a long weekend for NYC Public schools thanks to Rosh Hashanah again being on a Monday and Tuesday, so kids from here would not have to be pulled out of school.)

4 Likes

Yes. Exactly. But as of my checking (and a similar sampling done by the DIS Unplugged guys), there is full availability right now across all resorts.

1 Like

Probably those who really don’t like Star Wars, don’t want to deal with it, and either did not have air booked or were able to cancel it running scared.

I know if I could change my flight to Nashville I would - but it would cost more than the tickets cost to do it.

2 Likes

We are going to be down there August 21 to 31 so I hope your right. Was booked before announcement and ironically August 29 was a HS day. I think we will give it a go and if it’s really bad we will just hop to another park. We have another HS day prior to that so if we end up not following through for the second day it’s not that big of deal.

1 Like

Okay. I do worry in your case, more, though, for two reasons:

1. Your days overlap ACTUAL opening day
  2. Your days also precede Labor day, so not everyone is back to school yet.

I think it is smart to have at least one scheduled HS day before Aug. 29 in case Aug. 29 is unbearable.

2 Likes

We will get a bit more info when SW:GE opens in DL. I realize the circumstances/location are a bit different, but the first week and month at DL may be an indicator of what we can expect at WDW.

3 Likes

This makes sense. I would want confidence that I could just spend the whole day immersed in the land, looking at all the little details, and really enjoying it instead of wall to wall people.
That said, I still think it will be pretty busy.

2 Likes

We are in the same boat. I changed my HS day to the 28 to try and avoid the madness!

2 Likes

Please, please, please be right. Our trip is September 28. I love Star Wars and my son is going to pee his pants (probably literally) but I cried a little when I read the release date.