Thank you for helping my DS this morning!

I’m mostly a lurker who posts occasionally because I’m a nervous nelly about posting on the internet even in lovely safe spaces like this one. I wanted to post on the slim chance the woman who was so kind and loving to my autistic son is a liner (even a lurker like me!) and sees this.

We’re in Disney this week for our annual trip and my DS10 is autistic. He loves rides and enjoys Disney but his limits are much lower than all of ours. We rope dropped HS this morning and after MMRR, TSM and Slinky, he’d hit his limit and wanted to sit and do his word search book with grandma and grandpa while mom and dad rode ASS with little bro and sis. I told my DH after the ride, i wanted to grab him some milk since that’s the main thing he drinks (besides tap water that is just the right temp of not too hot and not too cold) and wanted him hydrated. I returned to our group 15 mins later to find my DS on a bench working on a word search holding a woman’s hand and squeezing and holding it. I felt my immediate apprehension that he had reached for someone without thinking and went up to say something but when i started to say something, she stopped me immediately and said, “it’s okay. I know sometimes our friends need some sensory pressure to feel okay.”

They sat together holding hands for 5 more minutes while he finished his milk and we went our separate ways. This woman was definitely a special ed teacher or therapist (she used the same language and words i hear from my son’s teachers and therapists). Either way, to experience someone in the wild who just loved on my son and let him be the way he is without questioning if it’s weird or strange was a gift and is making me tear up thinking about it almost 12 hours later. I just want to say how much it means to not feel judged or have to apologize for a kid doing what he needs to do to keep his brain regulated and yet enjoy being with his family. If by chance you are here mystery helper, thank you for making this mama and little boy’s day. And if not, i hope this story gets back to you or just the reminder to all of us that pixie dust takes all forms.

45 Likes

That’s awesome! Stories like this just make me feel there’s goodness in the world, warming my heart. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

To think I almost didn’t click on this thread. :blush:

Care-bear-stare GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

13 Likes

:face_holding_back_tears::people_hugging: This is such a wonderful moment to share. People are good after all :heart:

7 Likes

Pretty sure your gratitude will be welcome to any here who have shared time and pixie dust with “friends” in need. It’s the kind of thing that is best paid forward, anyway.

Thank you for reaching out today. Very glad you feel safe posting here. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Who is cutting onions dagnabbit?! Also, all of our friends deserve to experience the world without judgement and I’m so glad your son and family got to experience that for a bit. Wishing many more magical moments for you this vacation!

12 Likes

The pollen count seems awfully high for the middle of winter.

Thanks for sharing this lovely story.

9 Likes

Beautiful story, eloquently shared. Thank you.

7 Likes

This is beautiful! I’m so glad to know how much kindness your son - and you - experienced from this stranger. Thank you for sharing!!

8 Likes

This made my day. Kindness is free, and its effects are priceless. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

8 Likes

What an amazing person!

6 Likes

Phew. Lots of pixie dust in my eyes this morning. Thank you for the reminder that a little act of love has an enormous ripple effect.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I just had my DW read your post, as she is a Special Education teacher.

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story. It is one of the many reasons I love visiting Disney, I have met the nicest people. So happy your family had this experience.

4 Likes

I have no words; I’m just – this is a good post. :heart: :yellow_heart: :black_heart: :sob:

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I’m it’s a beautiful story and I’m so grateful for kind people in the world!

3 Likes