Thank you...and some reflections on the last 2 days

Thanks, Laurel

I appreciate that post. From a guy, & family that has basically come to rely 100% on Lines, thank you. I am going to the World in 3 days for the first time in my life. Just knowing that I have this communityā€¦ It makes me feel so special. I feel like a better father, and husband because of you. Iā€™m nervous, but I am readyā€¦Lines is my secret weapon!

8 Likes

Thanks for posting this, and for all of your and @Lenā€™s and @daybreakerā€™s work on this. Iā€™m trying to give it time to work the bugs out. Not a fan of the ā€œforumā€ style but not throwing in the towel yet.

A thought on the currently being reworked Cava: A few years ago, some of us were warned about the ā€œFriday Night Study Groupā€, as it didnā€™t follow the posting guidelines. True, and the shenanigans were stopped.

Now the forums come along, and a special place is made for those with X number of posts - many of which were made it similar vein to the aformentioned ā€œStudy Groupā€

Donā€™t get me wrong - I enjoy those posts, as well as pool noodle heists, wacky family, etc. But it seems strange to me that there would be a reward for that kind of post, especially since they are contrary to the posting guidelines

Many, myself included, donā€™t post if a question has already been answered, as it seems pointless to just boost your post count, or maybe they are just introverts or lurkers. In any case, they may ALSO enjoy reading those topics, and it seems contrary to the ā€œWeā€™re One Big Happy (Crazy) Familyā€ spirit that Chat has/had to limit access to only those who had a certain number of posts, or even X posts in Y days.

Limit to subscribers? Yes. Tag with a warning ā€œEnter at your own risk?ā€ Yes. But limit based on an arbitrary criteria i.e. number of posts? No. Why not quality of posts, or funniness or helpfulness or - ugh - ā€œlikesā€? Any one of those could be used, and would have the same effect - creating a caste system that divides, rather than bringing us together.

Just some thoughts as I try to adjust to a Brave New World.Ā  Now if I could just do this on my phoneā€¦

3 Likes

You will have a awesome time !!! You have been well trained. Now go and tour Liner Style !!!

1 Like

I donā€™t post often, but like to follow the exploits of the frequent posters. Have realized there are many others like me. They have come out of the shadows to give their opinions. Problem is the people everybody followed are now in their own world.

2 Likes

I was just saying yesterday that I wished that touring plans had a forum! I think it and it happens! Thanks! I am going to go think about a million dollars now!

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :heavy_exclamation_mark:

Thanks for sharing your info I too was sceptical at first but I am finding my way round .reading the whys and what fors is making more sense each day

Thanks for explaining everything and I do plan to stick around while everything gets figure out.

The badges are cracking me up! I can always count on a laugh and a ray of sun from Lines users :sunny:

1 Like

Love it. Love the concept of TP forums.
Minor issues for me (for which you neither need to apologize nor explain):

1. My questions are much more likely to go unanswered here than on chat. Iā€™m batting 1/4 now, and the answers are more likely to be from the echo chamber of those who are guessing just as much as I am. I was super spoiled to have veterans like niter, mritty, beachmom, bswan, b-squared, mnmagic, and a host of others answer anything; they are now (appropriately!) less likely to surf the multitude of random repeat questions and are hanging in the Cava. But I miss being spoiled! This may improve as more uses are on TP forum, but if it doesnā€™t, this is not the end of the world.
  2. I spend many many hours inside a large lightless institution with an iPhone for occasional bursts of idle entertainment (Iā€™m an obstetrician, not an inmate, but some days the difference is subtle). Chat, although unsustainable in the long run, was a great way to briefly transport myself away with one hand (okay, that didnā€™t sound good) on the phone while eating. TP forum too complex for the simplicity of chat. BUT I GET IT. Itā€™s like when the outdoor cat who you inherited from the neighbours dies. Itā€™s not a huge deal, but you still miss it.
  3. The sense of community has changed. More random strangers, less sense of hanging out with a core of fellow fans (oh yeah, Iā€™m talking to you, Sally Epp-cot.) Inevitable. I think the forum serves more people better, overall. And I didnā€™t sign up for TP for chat, but for the math!
  4. The new features like dashboard are effing amazing.
6 Likes

Very well said, @mossmacl. I like the functionality, but miss the safety net of people (Liner friends!) who would provide immediate responses to any and every question. People were so welcoming to me last Fall on Chat. I hope we can extend that same friendly reassurance to others in the new format.

1 Like

I look at it this way.

Imagine if all the people in your community were transported to a new community. The new community has all the infrastructure - banks, gas stations, supermarkets, masks, etc. that the old community had, but everythingā€™s arranged differently. For a period of time, everyone will be going around slightly confused ( "How do I do this? "), but as they become more familiar with the new place, things settle down, and get back to normal. Not the same normal as the old place, but a new normal. But most importantly, is still the same people in the community.

Some things will be better, some worse. Some will be very unhappy, and leave. Others will adjust, and take their place. Just give it time.

Remember, this change only happened 8 days ago. Thereā€™s bound to be a period of adjustment as things settle out. I think as people get more used to it, the speed of answers will increase. A better mobile interface will help, and they are working on it. Iā€™m willing to give @Len and his team the chance to make it work for us.

9 Likes

@Agent_C - Also very well said! I love that Liners are so articulate and thoughtful. :smile:

1 Like

3 Likes

Agree with @SallyEpp_cot - very well said! :smile: