Testing new version of Optimizer

Just in time for me to plan my next trip, but if anything goes wrong you need to buy me a drink (and to be fair, if everything works I’ll buy one for you + might even consume said drink for you if you’re not there).

3 Likes

@len - can you ping us when the new version is released out into the wild? I’ve got a really nasty TP set up for it. :smile:

1 Like

Send me a link to the plan so I can see how it does on my local machine, please.

Right now about 1 in 6 plans are getting the new version of the Optimizer, but I can run one manually too.

1 Like

They didn’t take traffic into account, did they? I totally could have done that part.

1 Like

Try Disney World Touring Plans - this is one that I get much better results by setting it up in a logical order and Evaluating. The reference “evaluated” plan is Disney World Touring Plans

Wow, there have been well over 300K plans set up since I first made the reference plan last year!

1 Like

I reevaluated my plan for DHS. Most of the times stayed around the same, but there were a few that changed quite significantly - and not for the better,

TSMM - wait time dropped from 37 to 28 min.
ToT - wait time increased from 27 to 48 min.
RnRC - wait time increased from 35 to 73 min.
ToT later that night - wait time increased from 16 to 30 min.

The original one had scheduled me for GMR at 9:35 pm after the park closed, but the new one puts “N/A” there instead, so that makes more sense.

Now I don’t know which plan to believe. I’m hoping for the original one.

Here are the links:
Original plan: Disney and Universal Touring Plans
New plan: Disney and Universal Touring Plans

Update: I also just tested a couple of my plans for EP and MK, and they turned out exactly the same.

I am wanting to know if the touring plans can add ADRs outside of the park you are in? For example if we leave MK in the evening to go to CM and go back how much time does that take for the meal itself plus the walking or monorail to and from.

1 Like

Oddly enough, this is being discussed right now in another thread - Evaluate my Touring Plans please - 5 days worth. In summary, you make a “leaving the park” break in your plan, with the break start time allowing for the time it takes to get from the park’s Main Entrance to the restaurant in question. If you are returning to the park, also add the appropriate amount of time to the break duration (travel time out + dining time + travel time back).

The Disney Transportation Wizard http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/aspx/twiz.aspx can help out here with travel times.

The new version of the Optimizer isn’t changing data. If your wait times are different for the same time of day, then that’s probably due to a change in the forecast for that day. My sense is that these number changes are due to forecasts changing.

Bummer. :worried: I didn’t notice any changes in the Crowd Level, but I’m sure you must be right.

@RobertSch6 The changes in times using an “evaluate” do fluctuate, due to changing park conditions that TP takes into account (refurbs, closures, change in WDW park opening/closing schedules.) It’s always a good idea to “evaluate” a week before your trip, or even every couple of weeks if you plan early, then one more time just before you go. One time I had what I thought was the “perfect” plan… only to have it change when re-evaluating. :frowning: But then I devised a new “perfect” plan. :wink:

Tip for all: If you really like your plan, always copy it to another plan & play with the copy. Then you can always go back to your old one if need be. This is a great feature of TP.

@len , what should we looking for? 4th & 5th FPP recommendations?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, @ejj . It is good timing since tomorrow is a week away from my trip. :smile:

Nothing unusual yet.

At first, I was surprised that no FPPs were recommended… until I remembered that one must fill in how many one is allotted in each tier before it will do that. As always, optimizations yield a great starting point, & tweaks/evaluates get me the rest of the way there. I enjoy looking at this page (for example): Magic Kingdom Wait Times - Saturday, June 6, 2015 to see why it thinks what it does. Always fun to do this.

I’ll say this:
This is the first time I’m doing a non-RD plan, and to be able to do a 2pm-2am EMH plan on arrival day with only a couple of 10+ minute waits is a nifty thing.

1 Like

good stuff on this discussion. any chance there is going to be something that give the option to set a break/meal as at firm time that the optimizer cannot move (even if that creates free time before it)?

I think right now the breaks can slide 10-15 minutes either way, for efficiency. That’s a configurable parameter for the Optimizer - we’d have to enable it on the UI for the website though. Don’t get many requests for that, but I’ll keep it in mind.

thanks @len excited to see the update optimizer. plans for next weeks trip got cancelled so putting energy into the next trip.

1 Like

Len- one suggestion I would make: when I add my FP+s sometimes the optimizer says it’s not going to use that FP+ because it doesn’t think that is the best time to use it. I really wish there was an override so you could force the tool to utilize the FP+ you have chosen. Sometimes I have reasons to use them at non-optimal times (my strategy is to use them late morning-early afternoon so you can get more) and it simply won’t let me do it.

1 Like

Using the Evaluate function instead of optimise after moving them into the time you want can help wIth this until the issue is resolved.

1 Like

It would also be nice if you could add a few of the optional events, like Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo appointments, using the same coding as for meals at specific restaurants. My husband’s got a booking for Dive Disney at Epcot that is a fixed time at a fixed location, but there’s no way to get the Optimizer to recognize it as anything but a generic break. The plan has us clear across the park 15 minutes before he needs to be at the aquarium, and if the plan realized that we had to be at Point A at Time B, I have a suspicion it might alter our tour pattern. Our MK touring plan reorganized itself a fair bit when I replaced a generic “45-minute break at 11:00 am” with “meal at Columbia Harbour House @ 11:00 am”.

@Luned the workaround for this is to make it a meal break. Choose the restaurant closest to Bibbidi (maybe Pinochio Haus?) for the given time frame & add a note to your TP to indicate what it is. For DisneyDive, put a “meal” at the restaurant (Coral Reef) that’s at the Living Seas pavilion. You can also set your TP to “minimize walking” to mitigate the crossing of the park aspects. Best to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like