Temperature Checks

Probably a silly thing to worry about, but this native-to-a-cold-climate, heat-intolerant traveler is genuinely curious whether anyone ever fails the temperature checks because Florida is just really, really HOT! :hot_face: :joy:

1 Like

I have read of it happening when the parks reopened last summer.
They do allow you to sit in a cooling tent and retry though instead of just denying you entry.

2 Likes

I too am heat intolerant, plus live where there is no humidity so I am always hot in Florida. I have never failed a temp check (on 3rd trip now since re-opening), even in the middle of summer when I felt like it was 150 degrees. You will be fine!

4 Likes

We have temperature checks at my office using similar technology as Disney. I was told by the receptionist that no one has ever failed our temperature check. My temperature is usually 96-97. Iā€™m convinced they calibrate the machines down by 2 degrees to minimize false positives. If you test positive, you almost certainly have a high fever.

1 Like

The scariest thing that I encountered at a temp check was the CM telling the boy ā€œThatā€™s closeā€ but letting him in. Ummmm if the boy has a fever of 100.3ā€¦

As a temp taker myself at our school, Iā€™m gonna guess the kid was a high 99. Iā€™ve had some of those and think to myself, ā€œwell, itā€™s not 100 :woman_shrugging:ā€œ and then make sure I donā€™t get anywhere near that kid after that :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™ve started to hear that taking an oximeter reading is a much better indicator of an issue than temperature. My husband and I have started monitoring our a.m. and p.m. oximeterā€™s. In one news report a physician detailed how the mayo clinic is monitoring patients in this manner after theyā€™ve tested positive but are asymptomatic. They gave one example of a woman having an o2 reading in mid 90s before she went to bed but in the morning waking up with an O2 of 78 and feeling fine. They did a chest x-ray and discovered a small marker indicating Covid pneumonia beginning. The woman insisted she felt fine but the oximeter reading and the x-ray landed her with early preventative treatment in the hospital for a few days and then she was released. The woman had several comorbidities and was at high risk, the monitoring saved her. The physician was telling the story because there are a lot of treatments out there that are being unused.

1 Like

Even during the hottest part of the year in FL, I think itā€™s still unlikely for body temp to get to 100.5 unless thereā€™s a real fever.

Side note: I think temp checks for covid have very little use and is like trying to block golf balls with a soccer net. But I guess theyā€™re better than nothing. As a prank, on my first day back to work after having covid, I purposely didnā€™t turn on my car heat for my 30 min drive (in WI in early Jan). My temp was 93, and the temp taker was confused and took it again, 93 again. I said itā€™s normal to have a reverse fever right after covid recovery. She said ā€œReally??ā€ before I started laughing.

5 Likes

If you were saying that temperature taking is theater to make us feel better, I agree with you! And illusion of security

2 Likes

When I was there back in September Temps were in the mid 90ā€™s, had no issues with the temperature checks

1 Like

I run hot as a norm and Iā€™ve been there every month since July and not had a temperature check issue

1 Like

I take the temps of kids that get off the bus, and some of them rest their head on the bus window before they come in, so Iā€™ve had as low as 90.5 or just ā€œLoā€

1 Like

This is like the reverse of trying to get mom to let you stay home by putting the thermometer on the lamp. 2000 degrees?!?! I broke a thermometer testing out if that would work as a kid. LOL

3 Likes

Well the temp check would have definitely been ineffective for me. My normal temp is low 97ā€™s. When I had covid my ā€œfeverā€ was 98.4. :man_shrugging:

Youā€™re just the new normal (Iā€™m like you run around 97)
Human body temperature has decreased in United States, study finds | News Center | Stanford Medicine.

3 Likes

New Englanders who were there in August - we never failed the temp check. And we waited over an hour in the heat for HS to open and had no issues.

1 Like

We were there for 8 days last July and I was worried about this. One of my adult DDs is always complaining about being hot and turns red instantly in the sun and heat. None of us ever failed.

2 Likes

This. I canā€™t tell you how many times Iā€™ve had my temperature taken on the way into work and it says something like 94Ā°F. The poor woman using the thermometer is from the dietary department. All sheā€™s been told it has to be under a certain number.

1 Like

Hey. I missed that you had it!
Itā€™s getting that more of us have than have not.

Yep, family and I had it 3 weeks ago. DW and DD were positive. I am actually relieved in that our upcoming trip wonā€™t be potentially derailed last minute, from covid anyway! And DW shouldnā€™t be worried about germs as much on the trip. Yeah, yeah, sheā€™s not like youā€¦ going around licking everything. :wink:

5 Likes