Tell me why I'm wrong — if I am

Get thee behind me, Satan. I’m waiting till my next credit card billing cycle. And for confirmation from Virgin that they’re definitely not converting my ticket to an open one.

Yes, quite easily, I think. But the price has gone up and I will use them (I hope!) before the end of next year, so I’m going to hang on to them for now.

They really are. To the extent that I cannot understand why everyone isn’t freaking out. I’ve seen the pictures from Disney Springs and City Walk and look at them with horror. And my Facebook feed is full of adverts for masks now — pretty fabrics, but wildly overpriced and they just look, well, ghoulish. It’s dystopian. I’m not doing it.

3 Likes

Universal requires way less planning and preparing, you can decide to go on the week before with all available information and have pretty much exactly the same trip.

3 Likes

I understand this and feel the same way. I will not be returning until masks are gone. For your purposes, I don’t see them being gone by October. Though, admittedly, I am no fortune teller.

2 Likes

I feel for the people that have season passes to Disney and for whom masks are a no-go.
We have season passes for Universal, and I’m not worried about that. We already got our money’s worth out of our first and only (so far) visit. But with Disney season passes being 3X the cost? You know they won’t offer any extensions or refunds for any time period where they are open but limited.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure about the refunds or extensions for the limited openings. Shanghai said that they would extend AP for the time that they are open but requiring reservations (which I would assume would coincide with the limited offerings phase).

1 Like

based on what you posted, you should just cancel. We canceled our July trip this week. Hardest email I’ve had to send in awhile but I feel relieved. Good luck!

2 Likes

I like the idea of your trip. I agree that being cost effective right now makes sense. Whenever we venture out it will be somewhere we can drive with a hotel that can be cancelled up until 48 hrs before (or whatever best deal like that I can get). With my family of 5 there are a lot of people for someone to get sick. A trip for just me I might be more adventurous but that’s a ways off. I live in a hot spot so the idea of even going outside is creepy right now. My county didn’t open up with the rest of Maryland b/c it’s so bad.

1 Like

One idea on the UOR hotel. I am currently pondering Drury Inn. It isn’t on resort but about three miles away. They say that they have a shuttle. But, I would factor in $20/day for Uber’ing. The days I was looking at in Sept were $105. But, this is the important part. There is a free hot breakfast and free dinner that includes alcohol. They have the menu online. It seems that there is always a salad, at least one soup and a hot entree like make-your-own BBQ sliders. Plus some basic food that it always there like hot dogs. Plus free soda and popcorn in the lobby for a longer time period.

My family would probably eat breakfast there every day and dinner maybe half of them. That is a huge money savings. The rooms also have fridge’s and microwaves.

We’ll be driving there so it is a savings that they don’t charge for parking.

5 Likes

I would check what those food offerings look like when everything opens again. I know a lot of hotels are now giving out “boxed” breakfasts since buffets are shut down.

4 Likes

This is honestly one of the things I am most sad about. I absolutely love buffets! :sob:

7 Likes

Our current mask requirement is based on masks decreasing transfer of virus from people who are infected, but don’t know it, as it decreases the virus droplets to nearby people, and more importantly having them fall on the surfaces that other people touch up to a day later. So whenever you are in an enclosed space that is shared by others (i.e. when you leave the room) then the mask is on. If you are walking about (not in park) but in open areas with no one within 10 feet or so, then that is different
–I also felt very claustrophobic in masks and like I couldn’t breath- but I have really gotten much more use to it. One test for you might be to follow these rules for a couple of days and see how you feel then.

2 Likes

Yeah, after I posted that I had a thought about the buffets not happening. I am with you, I love buffets. Some people look down on them, but they can just not go. I like having a little of this and a little of that, or making my own dish. Like at this one lunch place I used to get mac and cheese and add the tiny fried shrimp. I haven’t made the reservation yet, but I think I’m going to spring for the refundable rates which I think are $10 more.

2 Likes

And I always dread buffets like the … wait, I don’t use that phrase anymore.

I’ve even gone so far to order my own meal elsewhere after we went to Chef Mickey’s because I ate so little at the buffet. I’ve always found the concept of everyone touching the serving utensils along with the food sitting out to be unappealing.

2 Likes

$10 sounds like a small cost to get a refundable option in these uncertain times.

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of buffets either.

I think for the foreseeable future (or maybe ever) the closest thing to a buffet will be cafeteria style. Even these I would think only a maybe.

1 Like