Tell me why I shouldn't get the Dining Plan

Uh oh. Maybe I got an out-dated handbook. If that’s the case, I have ZERO love for my kids. :wink:

1 Like

I absolutely think of this also. But like you said, it doesn’t matter for buffets.

I did just check with my son and he said he doesn’t like the character meals (unless it’s Star Wars). I think mostly he just doesn’t like that they are mostly girly (princesses) or little kid characters. He did agree he really likes Garden Grill and breakfast at Crystal Palace.

I dunno, I just did a quick whip up on https://www.distripplanner.com/ and I have you coming out ahead based on the above (like over $100 ahead), but I had set it to be 5 TS(chef mickey lunches) and 5 “Average QS” dinners. And “Average QS” is set to be a $17.83…but anything at Galaxy’s Edge or Satu’li Canteen will very likely go beyond that. And a breakfast at BOG will DEFINITELY go beyond that at $29/pp.

Character meals and the possibility of eating at a BOG Breakfast and eating at Galaxy’s Edge and/or Pandora make this almost a no-brainer to do for me. Even if you did just 4 character meals and snacks+mugs only, you’re already getting close to your pay out. And like you said, there’s also the freedom of knowing you can go pretty much anywhere and also order anything on the menu. And then there’s possibility of converting unused QS or TS credits over to Snack Credits to use for the Festival Booths.

So I would do it. I couldn’t get a Standard Dining Plan to work for me because I wouldn’t utilize the Character/TS meals enough, but I straight up murdered that QS plan back in December. But I also had a few surprising moments when I had more credits left than I was expecting. I think the trick to these things is to definitely know how you’re going to spend you meals ahead of time and apply accordingly (Which you have).

4 Likes

I think I was under estimating how expensive the character meals will be. I got almost $250 before tax and no alcohol for 1900 Park Fare dinner! I’ll just call it $250 per character meal since I know a breakfast will be cheaper.

1 Like

Yup that tracks with that site. Yeesh I had no idea it was that pricey.

Dinner TS 1900 Park Fare $250.11

1 Like

I’m just solo, but I have found that I love having the dining plan because that makes so much of my trip paid for up-front (yes, there are tips and maybe an occasional extra or stop at a lounge) meaning I can relax a little more on the trip.

2 Likes

great link thanks!

Put in my trip-- and we would lose a lot if we did the dining plan. So now i can stop thinking about adding it! Thanks!

1 Like

I also feel that the 10-21 range is a rip off since they can’t get alcoholic but paying for it in price.

3 Likes

We will definitely try to take advantage of that third drink.

The DDP is a very personal decision.

I think if you do lots of character meals and drink alcohol, they will add value to your DDP.

For us, not being on DDP gave us more flexibility on what we wanted to eat, how much we wanted to eat, and when we wanted to eat. It made meal time stress free.

We didn’t want to be tied to TS and ADRs. We don’t drink and none of us are big eaters. Often when we do eat out, we don’t each order an entree. It’s too much food. We would want to at least get our value for the DDP, forcing us to order stuff we may not want. And we will not waste food. Almost everything has to be eaten then or saved for later.

And at the end of the day, it was much cheaper to pay OOP, $2,473 OPP vs $3,776 (and this doesn’t include the tips). At WDW, we tipped 18% and at a few meals, we tipped 20%.

We have been to WDW twice and both times I have looked longingly at the DDP and passed on it. Because we passed on DDP, we had more options with housing.

You guys “forced” me to estimate and budget early in the planning phase for my meals for 4 adults: me, DH, DD21, and DS19. DH and I stayed 15 nights. The kids stayed 10 nights. I came up with $2,790 for 15 nights. This was very conservative. DDP would have cost us $3,775.50, plus tips, for 15 nights. I assumed 2 of us would have free breakfast at the hotel everyday and the other 2 would have something in the room. This budget included TS meals at Boathouse, CG, Candlelight Processional Dining Package, Grand Floridian Cafe, Homecomin’, and Storybook Dining; QS; snacks; and a meal for 2 at Fogo de Chao. CG and the Dining Package would have required 2 credits each.

The total dining cost for the 15 night trip was $2,473. To be fair, this cost does not include the 2 dinners we had instant noodles and the 2 lunches we had lunch meat and cheese rolls for convenience. But that wouldn’t have cost us another $1,302, difference between the DDP and what we actually spent. And $1,302 doesn’t even include the tips for TS.

I never told my family we were on a budget. I never told them what they could or could not order. The kids have my credit cards and were free to use it to buy whatever food and snacks they wanted when we split up.

I didn’t sum up how much we spent until we came home. I was pleasantly surprised that we were on budget without much effort.

For WDW, I learned that only DH wanted breakfast each day. The rest of us saved our stomachs for later. Nobody ordered dessert at every TS. Sometimes we were too full. Other times, we might order 1-2 desserts and shared. There was only 1 day where everyone had 2 snacks (think Epcot). Most days, we had 3-5 snacks/day, shared. Storybook Dining gives a lot of food! We all ordered prime ribe.
The food was delicious! :yum: We had the equivalent of 1 1/4 piece of prime rib left. Because we were not of DDP, we had the flexibility to pack it up and have it with instant noodle the next night (comfort food).

2 Likes

Agreed. I will never get it as an excuse to order whatever I want no matter the cost or to try new things. It will have to be because it will save me money or get extra stuff for the same price without removing to much flexibility.

1 Like

For me the danger of the DDP is the psychological effect of its existence.

We are talking about 4 $250 meals. The DDP takes your mind from the question “Is worth it to pay $250 for this meal? Is it worth it to do this 4 times?” and replaces with the question “Can this $250 be slightly cheaper if I purchase this plan? Or can I spend even more then $250 of list prices without having to put in more money”. It changes how the question is framed internally and increases the chances of you spending more.

Of course, the money can be totally be worth it. But I am afraid of the DDP because of this.

3 Likes

You don’t have to be on DDP to try new stuff. We tried a bison burger. :smiley: It was juicy and tasty. :yum: Wish I could have one right now…

1 Like

Agreed, that’s why I plan what meals we want before I consider the dining plan. If the extra benefits come at little or no cost over what I’ll spend any way, then it will be worth it to me.

1 Like

This is slightly inflated. We usually just drink water. But at Boathouse, CG, Homecomin’, and Fogo de Chao, we felt like we had to order a nonalcoholic beverage and tip 20% to make up for the fact that we don’t order alcohol. At CG, those bottles of wine were at least $75! Even with the nonalcoholic beverages, our waiter at CG seemed disappointed but he still served us well.

I was scrolling through the thread trying to see if anyone pointed out how much character meals actually cost these days. The adult charge (plus drink) is generally the cost for the day of the plan.

I always look at where I want to eat and then make the decision. Even with tables in wonderland, after the last price increase the plan saved me a lot of money. Of course, when I eat at a non buffet I will always order either steak or seafood because I cook chicken all the time.

Finally, without reading the thread (late for a meeting) Boardwalk studios are in short supply (or impossible) as are a lot of studios for your dates!

3 Likes

That’s a shame! I’d be annoyed if a server ever implied I needed to spend more money.

3 Likes

The $100 would be worth it because you get 5 refillable resort mugs that are now $19 each.

1 Like

I was kind of wondering that. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll make other plans.

But I wouldn’t buy them otherwise, so I see them as a bonus, but not worth $100. Last trip at Dolphin they had them for $16. We bought one and shared, because we’re weird like that. Sorry to anyone that is grossed out by that.

2 Likes