Tell me why I shouldn't get the Dining Plan

The other side of this is… I have to buy the most expensive item in order to make the DDP worth the money even though the item I want is the cheapest entree…

6 Likes

I honestly think I have underestimated the cost of those character meals, since my oldest daughter will be 10 and pay adult prices. I think think 4 meals will actually be close to $1000. My estimate for everything else is assuming we only order what we would normally eat and nothing else. So I’m pretty sure we won’t feel like we have to order everything that is biggest and most expensive. But it will be nice to have the freedom to do that and know that I’m getting an upgrade for free (ish).

We have done the dining plan once before, and I wasn’t the one to do the planning for that (first trip) so I didn’t really understand it. I think the meal prices (and snacks) have gone up enough that it will be worth it now. Plus, my wife definitely likes to have a glass of wine at sit-down meals. I didn’t factor that in at all. I won’t resent the $11 for a glass of wine if it’s included, as long as I don’t also have to pay for her to get a $5 soda at the same meal :smiley:

2 Likes

Of course, you can also handle this how we do…have the money already in hand to pay for the food. That way, it is paid ahead of time (essentially) as well.

3 Likes

We did the dining plan for our trip last May and I honestly found it very stressful. While yes I could toss my kids snacks I was also constantly thinking looking at the price and thinking whether it was the best use of a snack credit. I also would not have ordered dessert or alcohol with each meal but felt like I should to make the most of the plan. The second time we went I didn’t get the dining plan and felt much freer to get what worked for us. For savings on the character meals you might want to consider the Disney visa you can get 10% at some restaurants even with the card that has no annual fee.

4 Likes

Yes, true, but for me, personally, I worry more about this when paying out of pocket. I probably didn’t save money when I had the dining plan - I never did any of the math. I just knew it was paid for, and I could order whatever I wanted. I liked that peace of mind.

On my last trip, when we didn’t have the dining plan, I talked myself into going with the flow, and that worked too. We probably spent more than I thought we would at some meals, and less at others. Overall, we spent just a tad less than what I had budgeted, so it worked fine too.

6 Likes

True, but I’ll still think about how much I already paid and whether I’m getting what I want or what is the best use of the plan.

If your oldest will be 10 by December, are you looking at 4 ‘adults’ and one child? If so, the total DDP cost is $1712.50, and unless the 10 year old has a big appetite, you might have trouble recouping those costs in QS.

1 Like

I have had the same thoughts about the plan, but I think most people then end up with extra credits they have to use up before they leave. Plus, they spent cash on the “cheaper” snacks during the trip. The best advice I saw was just to use your snack credits when you want a snack or drink and don’t worry about the price. Chances are, you’ll still have leftover at the end of the trip. If you run out, you might buy a few with cash, but that’s better than having leftover that you HAVE to use up.

2 Likes

Everyone should do what’s best for their group, and there is no right answer that works for everyone. I work on my attitude either way, and try to not over think it, and I have found that is what works for me. I don’t try to get the most expensive meal when I’m on the dining plan (or only get the best value snack credit). I get what I want and accept that I might be paying more or not getting as good of a value, but I’m still getting what I want. Once I’ve made the decision on which way I’m going, I live with it and do what I feel like.

5 Likes

She will be the 3rd adult. The other kids will be 4 and 8.

2 Likes

The true love of a father for his kids is directly proportional to how much he spends at WDW. Didn’t you know this? It was clearly stated in the fathering handbook you should have gotten with your first child.

2 Likes

I am planning for December 5 to 14.

Cool. Another meet up. :slight_smile: Or perhaps the same one!

We will be doing mostly character meals. The child’s cost for per day for the DDP makes sense when eating at character meals and buffets. The 2 year old would eat free. In October 2019, after eating at Tusker House, Akershus, and Biergarten the first 3 days of the trip, the 3 year old asked at every meal if it was a buffet. Big hit with both children. I just ran the numbers and we should save money using DDP.

1 Like

If you get it, you have to not think about that, otherwise you will end up ordering an entree that’s not your first pick etc. Once it’s paid for, you just have to let it go.

ETA or what @betsyrina2 already said very eloquently.

3 Likes

Now, see…this makes sense. I just leave tip out of calculations because I wouldn’t anticipate ordering differently in one case or the other…but I suppose if you are going to have alcohol with the dining plan, but you wouldn’t without it, then the tip calculation will change.

I think there is a good chance that financially the plan might be good for you with all those character meals. My complaint about the plan, however, is not the financial part but rather that it forces me to eat things other than what I want. My family often likes to order appetizers and/or salads which are not allowed on the standard plan, and we would never order a dessert for each one of us. So, we are going without it next trip and I’m feeling the freedom already of being able to order what I like.

2 Likes

I just checked the prices for 1900 Park Fare for dinner. $59 per adult and $35 per kid. That will be $247 plus tax! Maybe $1000 for 4 meals is still a lowball.

2 Likes

False, it is how many times you ride the teacups with them before you finally yell “No!”

5 Likes

Please, no, I can’t listen to that any more :smile:

3 Likes