Tell me what you like and dislike about Split-Stays

I did it once in order to get the express pass at Universal and then move to a WDW hotel. It was hard, but we have 3x kids and an older adult who travels with us who gets his own room. So moving all that stuff and accommodating the move of the older adult as well was a lot. It would be so much easier with just a couple or just adults etc. I don’t regret it, but if I had it to do again I would definitely not plan anything big for moving day. We had a half park day at MK on our moving day and barely made it for the first FP. If we could have just hung out in the new hotel and maybe gone to the pool it would have been much better.

1 Like

Interesting reading!
We’re trying our first split stay in April just because we wanted to experience the different resorts. Hopefully, with limited unpacking, things will go smoothly: DD26 and DW will have their stuff good to go the nights before and DD5… well, we’ve got to work on her.
But hey, it’ll be an adventure.

3 Likes

I also did the packing cubes for the first night so most of the suitcase stayed packed until we moved.

My mind connected this with the idea that luggage transfer can take awhile. I wonder if someone could do two luggage transfers? Like if the first stay was just or two nights. Someone could send most of their luggage on to the next place when they arrived at the first place. That way at least most of the luggage would be waiting at the second place.

1 Like

One of my concerns about luggage transfer is how medications will be handled.

I have insulin. And insulin must be kept cool. (Not necessarily refrigerated, although that is most ideal, but it cannot get hot, which quickly ruins it.)

So, if I am in one resort and plan to move to another, where are they keeping the luggage? Will my insulin be safe for the afternoon in my luggage? I suppose it would be safe to keep it in an insulated bag with an ice pack (although, I also have to worry about insulin freezing, which also ruins it, so it can’t be TOO cold).

For this case I would deliver my own bags and tell the bell hop your needs. I would think they could refrigerate it for you.

1 Like

For those who use the luggage service, what do you do about laptops/ipads/valuables/passports? Do you just put them all your luggage and hope for the best? I’m way too paranoid to consider doing that with our passports. Could I uber to the second resort in the AM and leave my valuables in a safety deposit box?

I reeeeally want to try the four seasons for a few nights at the end of our next trip. I think a split stay would be fine, provided we stay long enough (like a 10-14 night total trip).

1 Like

Uber would work. For years I would take a backpack with me to the parks with my “valuables” including my computer. I would then rent a locker for the day. About 5 years ago I started parking my computer or iPad and sending it with my luggage. I would still have a backpack with my money, credit cards and IDs.

This. All my stays are split. Usually a couple nights at BLT then the rest of the trip at BWV or now my home resort, Riviera. LOVE BLT and am planning to get my next resale contract there. Nothing beats that walk to MK.

1 Like

Just to follow up. We talked to BS today who confirmed they’ll move our luggage to our next resort. I’ll try to update Sunday to confirm after it officially happens but should be good!

7 Likes

Thank you!

One thing I like about split stays in general (haven’t done at Disney, yet) Is they never do a thorough clean on the room while you are there. They make the bed, replace towels, dump trash and go on. After one two week stay on the beach in Hollywood, FL we decided to never stay in one place for more than a week.

1 Like

OMG, what a GREAT idea!

1 Like

I thought dimly of them until I tried it. IMO it’s a phenomenal strategy to minimize travel if you plan your days correctly, i.e. go to MK on the day(s) you’re at a MK resort, and go to Epcot/HS on days you’re at a resort near there (Yacht/Beach club).

It especially works well if one stays at Wilderness Lodge & plans to go to Hoop-de-do, as it’s just a boat ride away.

The other reason to do it is to be able to enjoy a deluxe resort for a few days, and save $$ at a moderate or value resort for the rest of the trip, which would work even better now with the gondolas at POP/AoA.

Never had any issues with transferring luggage.

Also, it kind of “feels” like two vacations instead of one, which is kind of cool, and it’s an opportunity to see more of Disney (i.e. YeHaa Bob at Port Orleans at one split stay) in one trip, as each resort has features & decor that is unique to that place.

Again, I thought it was idiotic until I tried it once out of necessity, and more than half my trips since then, I’ve done a split stay. It’s not for everyone, but there are good points.

6 Likes

Hmmm, it’s nice to hear you were so pleasantly surprised! Our trip is a ways away… but I won’t take a WL/Pop split-stay off the list of possibilities. Maybe i’ll see what AP rates are like once they are released and re-look into the Split-Stay.

Not sure if it’s been said or not, but one thing people recommend is if you can, try to do the deluxe last. Then it feels like a step up, and leaves something to look forward to also! Best to you, whatever is decided, I’m sure you’ll have a great trip. It’s Disney!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! Yup, i’ve read that too! Makes sense for sure.

Where? Curious minds (well, mine at least) want to know.

Maybe Uber/Lyft? FWIW Uber’s COVID policies seem pretty solid to me, and the fam have used them multiple times recently with no problems.

This sounds awesome. You are making me want to try a split stay, although we never have before. That ride back to the EPCOT resorts (where we usually stay) from MK at night is no way to end the evening. Bleh.

That’s us. Although sometimes I unpack just to get my bag out of the way.

Maybe we’re good candidates for a split stay, though we never have done it. Our next trip will hopefully incorporate the Galactic Starcruiser, and there’s no possible way I would come to WDW and do only that, and miss everything else, so a split stay is definitely in our future.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

2 Likes

Yup that is one time we will FOR SURE have a split-stay, too! Hope we hear more details soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are planning to split stay on our next trip, likely starting at CBR then The Poly. We are generally pretty organized packers and want the experience of different resorts, pools, restaurants and transportation options. Also, cost is a factor, so staying at CBR for part of the trip brings that down.

I should add on our trip to WDW this year we had to unexpectedly switch rooms (we got a call at 8 pm while we were at EPCOT that there was damage to our room and that we needed to switch rooms when we got back to the resort) during the middle of our trip. So after the fireworks when we got back to the resort at 10:30 pm we had to pack up and switch rooms. Although it was a bit stressful because it was unplanned, it wasn’t too bad. I think if you plan ahead like others have mentioned (separate bags for separate resorts) it wouldn’t be too much of a hassle.

1 Like

North Forty Resort between Whitefish and Columbia Falls. So not really out in the wilds of Montana, but it was perfect for our needs.

1 Like