Take That, Covid: Ten Days of Top Ten Vacation Moments with OBNurse and Fam

I bought AKL in 2006 at $95/pt so i should calculate at some point how much I’ve saved in 15 years. I’m pretty certain we broke even at least 5 years ago. And i still have 36 years left on the contract

6 Likes

Okay. Where is this MKSacredSpaces? I have searched through other threads trying to find the location and come up empty. :slightly_frowning_face:

Across from where they sell the parasols. If you are in the MKSacredSpace Hall Of Presidents is just off diagonally across the way to your left while Sleepy Hollow is diagonally off to your right across the way.

When you stand in it you see this:

9 Likes

Thank you! And thank you for sharing your trip with us and top 10! :heart::heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

Yes, everything that @OBNurseNH says! It’s the best and also top secret!! :shushing_face:

4 Likes

I posted a google maps version of the #SacredSpace in the trip report by @Jeff_AZ called May the Force Be With Us: A Family Trip Report Summer 2021

I had to do a lot of scrolling to find it, it was post #796 May the Force Be With Us: A Family Trip Report Summer 2021 - #796 by Shellott_hill

6 Likes

I just got through this and :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: for all of it! Thank you for taking me back to the world! I’m so happy for you and your family that you got to have such a special time together.
I admire your cool, relaxed style combined with your ability to pivot! when needed. You created so many magical moments to cherish and great to hear that even your teenage boy appreciates it all​:smiley::heart:

6 Likes

Can I just say? I love that this trip report has brought all the lurkers out of the woodwork… welcome to all of you!

#1827 @OBNurseNH just 1,173 posts to goal…

10 Likes

So what’s the new countdown? We know you have one. Or two. Or…

1 Like

More to come.

I have day 10 yet to report on.

And then I’ll wrap up, including future plans.

9 Likes

Yes, @OBNurseNH I’m curious what your RunDisney plans are. Marathon weekend?

Update: Although DW shot down 3/5 of JordanRunner’s 5olo Trips, I still have hope. As expected, there was some serious shock for her. She actually laughed at me. Maybe in a day or two she will see the light though. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Maybe you should have asked for more (make up a couple?), and then compromised down to 5 races?

8 Likes

Top Ten Day 10: Departure Day - Not AK But Still Great

-10. A family that is okay with changing it up. Today was to have been their second AK day, and our first all together was extremely rainy. But with the forecast showing rain at least as bad as that was, I suggested cancelling our plans in the park so as to avoid ending our trip on a frustrated, wet, disappointing note. DD loves AK almost as much as me so I thought she of all might push back on that. But they were in favor of making the change so that’s what we did. They were all fantastic throughout the trip with making changes as they were called for. It made my job as the “guide” all the more easy.

-9. The magic of finding a B&C at exactly the right time for our schedule. After we decided to change up plans in favor of having a nice lunch at a resort somewhere, my job began to find one. Our time frame was very specific and I feared we wouldn’t find anything that worked for us. But lo and behold: B&C popped up with the precisely appropriate time! I snagged it without question before it disappeared. Shoot first, ask questions later! None of the other options were more appealing and so our new plan was solidified!

-8. A ride on the Skyliner. To that point in our trip we hadn’t ridden Skyliner. We had not had any need to, and timing-wise (and weather-wise) it just never fit into our plans. But this visit to BC afforded us the chance to close the transportation circuit. My only concern was whether it would be running as it was a bit gusty owing to Elsa. My concern was for naught, though, and we were whisked away on a gondola without a wrap (so we could see clearly out). I worried that my fear-of-heights husband and son wouldn’t enjoy it but they both did just fine. I warned them that takeoff is swift and that when you come into the station it looks like you’re about to crash into the car in front of you but you won’t. The only mishap was that our car didn’t open on return; we actually ended up getting out on the in side after knocking on the window trying to alert the CMs that we wanted off LOL.

-7. A little resort touring. Our change of plans afforded us the opportunity to visit some resorts that my family had never yet seen. We took the Skyliner over to Riviera to tour over there first. We made sure to see the mosaics, the pools, and the splash area for the kids. My family loves to play bocce ball at the beach so made sure to show them that (and the other outdoor games. And we toured around inside a bit as well. In the end, they all felt like it was kind of “meh” which is in line with how I feel about it too, especially given the number of points (or dollars) required to stay there. We took the Skyliner back over to the Epcot IG entrance (where we had the door mishap), and first went for lunch at B&C. After lunch we toured around BC and YC; it is really remarkable how different they feel (relaxed v. buttoned up) for how similar they are. We all preferred the feel of BC over YC. We wanted to tour Boardwalk too but were running out of time so we just walked partway around Echo Lake and viewed it at a distance. We have been to the BW area before at night in the past when they had carnival games going, and that is a lot of fun!

-6. B&C lunch. Sure it’s “just” an ice cream diner type restaurant, and so nothing “special” but it’s a fun environment! When we sat down the oldies song “Purple People Eater” came on, and we remarked about how we had heard that at Sci-Fi and that this must be our song to hear when it’s time for shakes :laughing: The kids each got a Mickey Confetti Shake which is a vanilla shake in a souvenir cup with a confetti cupcake on top. DH got your “basic” vanilla shake. And I got a Guinness stout float. Everyone loved their selections; the shakes here are just as thick as at Sci-Fi and creamy and tasty too. The stout float was fantastic - and now I have learned a new (dangerous) trick for at home! For eats, we went light: DS got a grilled cheese, DH and I split a bacon cheddar ranch sandwich, and DD just got tots. Everything was good, but I much preferred the food at Sci-Fi which was just more flavorful.

1. Herlina. On each of our trips we seem to get our very best server during our sendoff meal. I don’t know how Disney knows to send us these extra magical folks at just the right time, but it hasn’t failed. Today we had the lovely, tiny, force to be reckoned with, Herlina from Indonesia. This lady was soooooooooo friendly. I really left wanting to give her a hug! She chatted us up throughout our meal without being intrusive; that’s a really fine line to walk! And she shared plenty about herself and her journey as a Disney CM without giving away too much. She praised my kids, and as I shared up thread also encouraged them to make us proud and praised our parenting too. She encouraged my daughter to strongly consider CP as it will open all kinds of doors for her no matter what she wants to do in the future. At 50’s (also a great restaurant) they pretend to be your cousin or your aunt or whatever. But Herlina? Felt like real, actual family by the time we left. I will be sending a Cast Compliment out for her. She is a TREASURE. If you go to B&C during your trip, ask if she’s working and to be seated with her if possible. I know we will next time!

-4. Lovely weather. Okay, so this was kind of annoying, since it was nearly the total opposite of what the forecast had told us. But the weather this day was almost the nicest of our entire trip! It was dry, partly sunny, breezy, and not too hot at all! What the heck?! We had made the best decision we could have with the information we had, and it resulted in some nice experiences we would have missed. Plus it was nice to leave with puffy clouds in our memories rather than visions of ponchos and thunderclouds. Unexpected nice weather was a nice way to cap off the trip.

-3. Easy TSA experience. You know the MCO. Sometimes it can be an hour long wait to get through TSA (unless you get one of the preferred pre-clearance services, I know, but for us it doesn’t make sense). But this day - perhaps because it was mid-afternoon on a weekday - we breezed right through. We walked right up to an agent, who wasn’t one of those grumpy sorts but was fun and friendly, and had a minimal wait to go through the scanners. Given all that, we could have stayed in the bubble a little longer, but for me and my anxiety level on travel days it was better to have that extra time. And let me tell you, friends with littles, it gets easier. It was so nice to have both kids able to fully manage themselves; gone are the days of us struggling to get all four of us through, and that’s one thing I’ll never miss.

1. Seats all together. Because of the way our return flight was booked, I had a different boarding group than the other three. Which was fine because I fly fine and they all need “emotional support people” so I was happy that they got on earlier and were able to sit all together. I expected to have some random seat elsewhere in the cabin, but I was lucky enough not only to be right in front of them but also to have a window (my fave). I could easily check in with them, which I thought might be necessary because of Elsa but which was unnecessary as we flew totally around her and had a smooth flight. A similar scenario played out for our (very delayed) flight from the BWI where we sat two and two. It made the return a little nicer.

-1. Successful Trip Completed. Look waaaaaaaaaaay up to the top of this (almost 2000 post) thread. You’ll see that the main goals for us were: Disney time, family time, eff-you-Covid time. And we achieved all of that. We had the longest trip we’ve ever had. We had plenty of time together (and a sprinkling of solo time for each of us here and there). And we did some extra-magical things as part of celebrating that we made it safely through the pandemic and had the gift of time in our happy place to do that. We celebrated EVERYONE’S birthdays, including @BGK and USA. I pulled off an amazing reveal of my newfound SW fan status. We had great meals, accommodations I’m going to have a hard time not to repeat, and made some core memories to carry with us forever. My son thanked me on return, and my husband got me flowers to thank me too. And they keep saying they want to get a cake and gifts to celebrate my birthday. But guys? I had the best birthday ever!! Not sure there’s any way to top this one! :heart:

47 Likes

OMG your family is so cute. It makes me so happy to think about having that kind of closeness with my kids when they are big :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

We are really lucky. Our kids genuinely seem to like spending time with us. They are not hesitant to be affectionate with us in public or otherwise. They are definitely not “too cool for school”. And they like each other quite a bit, too. Not to say they never bicker, but they share a closeness that I have never had with my own sister. They seek each other out to spend time together, and they look out for one another.

DH and I struggle a lot with having very different approaches to our parenting. But we must be doing something right, I guess :slight_smile:

21 Likes

I’m staying at Yacht in February. This officially made me excited for that part of the trip. Thanks!

1 Like

:yellow_heart:

You are really blessed. Great kids, but also a great job of parenting. You and DH really seem to complement each other well. Was a treat to follow along and “meet” your family.

3 Likes

The wine was alright too. I was also afraid of all those things in a cocktail. I can do a margarita or an old fashioned but I’m not into most cocktails because too sweet, etc.

1 Like

Another great Top 10 list. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us.

2 Likes

I was inspired by @OBNurseNH and decided to ask DD5 her “top 10” from the week we just spent at my mother’s house in NC (which, to be clear, reinforced for me that the only true “vacation” I feel I get with the littles is in WDW - so thanks for also reminding me it’ll get easier, Jen) - DD only gave me 5:

1. Going in the pool
  2. Seeing Boss Baby 2 in the theater the day Elsa hit NC
  3. Playing on the playground
  4. Getting our family picture at the aquarium
  5. Going to the beach “and getting sand in my butt”
18 Likes