Swapping Points

I own at AKL. I want to book at BWV. Do people ever agree to swap points with one another for home resort advantage? It seems like a lot of stuff is booked up before the 7 month mark these days and I’m nervous I’m not going to be able to get the room I want (2 bedroom Boardwalk View).

Thoughts? Resources?

Thanks!

1 Like

I have wondered this myself. I think one concern would be that the reservation might go through for one party at 11 months, but not for the reciprocating party in the other direction later. That could lead to an awkward situation where now you have what you wanted using their points but you can’t secure what they wanted in return!

Then again, at 11 months that might not be a big deal.

2 Likes

Yeah, unless they’re looking for a Club Level at AKL or a studio at CC, I think at 11 months most reservations are pretty easy to get.

1 Like

There used to be a points swap area on one of the dvc group forums.

IMO it would be a heck of a lot of work for only a maybe.

3 Likes

There are a few problems.

Number one is probably how much are points worth? Are BWV points the same as BRV points? What if one person wants a 2-bed and the other wants a studio? With different points charts things also get complicated.

Then there’s the issue of would each reservation go through. It isn’t just CL rooms at AKL that are hard to get at 11 months. Standard view rooms at BWV and BLT are tough to get. What do you do if one booking needs a waitlist? Stalking could be onerous if it’s one-sided.

3 Likes

I was curious because I have wondered about this too and came across this. I’ve never used it, just happened to find it, looks like it may be a paid subscription site for certain things though.

1 Like

Actually it seems to be a new site that is working on getting up and running, so might not be very helpful yet.

1 Like

Good insights. I think this is precisely why rental sites exist. To create a market so that we can gauge what one room category / resort combination is worth relative to another at a point in time (11 months vs 7). You could do it discretely between two individuals but one would likely be getting the short end of the stick without a market price / ratio to latch onto.

2 Likes

Ouch! That is a hard booking to get at BWV. There are only 21 possible 2 bedroom lockoffs with BW view. I went to book a BW studio the other day (it was 6pm) at exactly 11 months (May) and only pool/garden was available.

Could you try to rent out your points at 11 months and for a savannah view and try to arrange a rental for your booking? I think most days you would need someone will to book at 8am at 11 months.

I ended up moving my BW studio booking to two days earlier and there was a Boardwalk view available. I think people always walk Boardwalk views.

1 Like

Yeah, it looks like the studio availability is really what dictates the availability of the 2 bdrms. The 1 bdrms seem to have pretty decent availability up until about the 7 month mark. At the end of the day I will take what I can get at BWV, the Boardwalk View is just what I prefer. Or, if I have to, I can go with a BCV 2 bdrm. I just don’t like BCV as much as BWV.

2 Likes