SW:GE Opening Day

They don’t sell “Star Wars” labeled stuff in SW:GE because people in Batuu don’t know “Star Wars” as a entity.

However, the new land is Star Wars: Galaxy Edge. If they get rid of ST, I’m sure there will be a huge SW brand shop before you enter the Galaxy.

3 Likes

I have not been to SWGE yet, but my understanding from another group I’m in is that the droids interact with their location and other droids in the land.

1 Like

Of course they don’t need an excuse, but they have given them out

The interactive elements and street entertainment were cut from the budget.

Looks like the best of the interactive elements will be at the Star Wars Resort, where guests will have to pay far more than the cost of a park ticket for it.

3 Likes

They do NOT interact with any other droids ever. They interact with Bluetooth transmitters through the park. They also randomly buzz and beep… so you don’t always catch that they are interacting. That is a very very passive thing. WWHP, you physically are searching out and performing actions.

People eat it up, but kids get super frustrated when half the time they can’t get it to work and they are placed in the worst places possible, from a crowd flow standpoint. I’ve only ever been when it wasn’t busy at all (think CL 3 or lower) and the lines to try wands blocked the whole (already narrow) pathway. I understand why Disney doesn’t do that… they need to move people more efficiently, plus they already have 2 free interactive things (with play points in out-of-the way spots) and to make people pay for one would seem like a jerk move. It cracks me up that nobody thinks it’s worth the time to do the free interactive things at WDW, but they spend not only time but also money to do a very similar thing at Universal. There’s marketing for you.

1 Like

I’ve only been to Universal Hollywood (twice!) but I don’t remember any characters I could meet at in the Harry Potter section at Universal. Not having any characters would cut down on confusion about who is an employee and who is not!

(Off topic - After being exclusively at Disney for years, I was surprised how much a non-event characters were at Universal.)

2 Likes

On FJ, you can dress on and look near identical to the ride operators.

Not sure how that quote showed as mine! I was taking the opposite view. :face_with_monocle:

This is true - the relatively low price makes them attractive. But I will say that my wife’s wand has been shut in a box for five years (it doesn’t do anything but look nice outside UOR) whereas my son uses his droid all the time.

2 Likes

and right now FOP wait twice as long as Smugglers Run. SMH

3 Likes

Does anyone know about the entrance vs. exit of the land? Can you only enter by Muppet Vision? Can you exit from Muppet Vision or TSL? Or just exit TSL?

My arrival day for my trip has this ridiculous but might just work schedule of:

7 pm Mama Mia dinner
8:15 Oga’s Cantina
8:45 - 9:45 SDD

(We’re going back another night with Oga’s reservations).

I think that’s a rebound effect. Tons of people who went to SW:GE yesterday have now moved on to the next immersive fastasy world. The Hagrid ride at Universal had remarkably low waits yesterday too, but today it’s back up to normal.

2 Likes

My main point on them though. They are cheaper for someone to buy at 60 if I remember right. But no way they are anywhere near that to make. I’d be surprised if they cost the park 10.00. The 100.00 droid, people are identifying as being a little expensive… but I’m pretty sure there is less profit margin for Disney… if kids could take those droids out in any designated area to interact like the wands… I have a feeling no one would question their value.

I’m going to love my droid though… I’ll attach a wand too

2 Likes

I find the idea of adults in costumes at Disney actually horrifying. You may tell your kidsnot to talk to strangers, but if you tell them to go hug Goofy and the princesses, I think it’s harder for them to be alert.
The world is a scary place. No random adults in costumes makes Disney a less scary place.

5 Likes

You be the rare person.

I’m no Universal fan and actually have zero plans to ever go but I’d still give the win to WWoHP based on all the YouTube videos I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Here is some discussion on the topic: Shipping Lightsaber from Savi's - is this a thing? - #10 by Meech

(it’s 31" with the blade detached, so fits in a large suitcase)

Wow wait times all around are great right now. 85 MF. FoP 85 7DMT 40

1 Like

Well there’s a hurricane on the way :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes