Survival Tips for Spending All Day in the Parks

Our family typically takes a mid-day break at the resort (we usually stay around EPCOT) but I’m looking at either all day in AK or an MK/AK day which means we’d lose more time than usual in transportation on those days if we took a break, because usually I’d pair MK & AK with DHS or EPCOT. We are only going to be at WDW for 6-8 days.

What are your tips for spending all day in a park? We would do this day early in the week so we wouldn’t be too tired yet & we’re e all adults. I’m thinking a mid-day ADR at the very least. Thanks!

1 Like

Mid day adr and both shows would be a nice break. But if you’re already taking a break, one evening of riding to a park instead of walking wouldn’t be that big of a deal would it?

1 Like

Yes, yes it would. You have to count the ride back as well. It’s a hardship, I tell you!

I’m picky, spoiled and set in my ways :rofl:

When you say both shows, which shows are those? That makes me perk my ears up because I feel like we’re missing out on the shows. So this might remedy that problem very nicely.

Edit: Impatient. I forgot to add, I’m impatient, too.

1 Like

On our most recent trip, I used a meal at a nearby resort (Geyser Point at WL), as a “break”. Got us away from the parks for about and hour and a half without the added time of taking a true break.

There are also lots of blogs about quiet spots in all the parks. I tracked them down on Google when I took my husband for his first trip. He is a big crowd averse so I wanted to be prepared if he needed a place to cool it for a bit.

1 Like

That’s an excellent idea about going to a nearby resort. One time we did tea at the GF and that was wonderful, my daughter and I had a great time. Added fun for riding the monorail which we otherwise wouldn’t do.

I know that the DISabilities! forum on the DIS boards had a thread on quiet places, for people who need to take a break from crowds. So thanks for jogging that in my memory, as well.

1 Like

In the many times we’ve been to WDW, we’ve never been to the Poly, not even once. This is a good chance to visit for lunch. Thanks!

1 Like

Number one: don’t go in the summer. I only go Nov-May and go opening to closing with no breaks and have no problem. If I tried that in the summer I would needing an EMT…

Plan a TS lunch; this will give you a chance to recover a bit and adjust your plans for later. If you’re staying until closing, also plan a TS dinner.

1 Like

Yes, this is a day in May the week before Memorial Day Weekend, that’s one reason why I picked that day, so we could stay at the resort when the CL is 10 later on.

We have done HS all day in May and September. We do a TS, which is best mid-day. We don’t tend to rush around after the initial rope drop. We sit and enjoy the ambience and people watch. We see some shows and explore the shops for air conditioning. We drink plenty of water and enjoy snacks as needed. We did not leave the park as that is kind of a pain for us. We only have done one full day during our trips, usually midweek. We typically go rope drop to dinner or lunch to close/ almost close.

1 Like

I think if I look at this as a more leisurely day, it sounds more appealing and less alarming!

1 Like

Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo

1 Like

We do table service so we get a “break” Its a big help.

1 Like

I just reworked my MK plan to take in Skipper’s Canteen, where we’ve never been!

we stayed all day in AK and it was a leisurely day! the safari was awesome and you sit down, there are plenty of rocks, benches, wall edges and such in shady spots that we found… also, we sat at the picnic tables in the playground area… they pump music and it was a nice break. we had kids with us tho… boys ages 6 & 10 and we only took two mid day breaks out of our 7 park days in Disney… we really just meandered around AK. my kids and DH really wanted a second day at AK instead of MK… it probably also helped that we are, by our every day lives, very much zoo people and animal lovers… so… i also found midday breaks to be more taxing that finding a few spots to relax during the day… we also had a table service meal each day!!

1 Like

I am one of the crazies that NEVER takes afternoon breaks. Even in September! I book mid-day ADRs… i sit on shaded benches with snacks and just take in the ambiance of whatever park I’m in! I find bars or lounges to sit in for awhile. Haha… as long as i can find a place to sit and rest my feet for awhile i’m good! At MK just do multiple laps on the people mover! haha!

2 Likes

@trnickell27 The People Mover is my go-to ride when everyone else is on Space Mountain!

@Hollan24 I think I’ll have to split up AK over two days so I can ride FOP twice. Otherwise, I would stay all day, it’s my favorite park. I love the Gorilla Walk and Maharajah Trek before all the crowds hit. We do have a res. for Y & Y on another day.

I’m still a little leery of this endeavor, when I start looking at attractions around noon or so, I start to imagine the heat and the crowds (although it’s not supposed to be very crowded on that day). I just need to envision peace & serenity inside a restaurant instead!

1 Like
  1. Drink lots of water and snack frequently.
  2. Intersperse rides with long lines with shows/rides with long periods of sitting. (People Mover is a great “rest” ride, for example…as is Splash Mountain.)
  3. Try to pick places to eat (even Counter Service) that are indoors…but but due to limited seating, pick times that are slightly BEFORE or AFTER usual meal times to avoid the rush.
  4. The moment ANYONE starts to get crabby, assume heat exhaustion is setting in. Stop what you’re doing and go rest/eat/drink!
2 Likes

I can say with with a high degree of certainty that the first one to get crabby will be me.:smile:

Honesty, eh? Well, rule number 4 still applies! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think taking stock of the whole family’s habits and foibles is essential to a good plan. No use pretending we’re going to be The Incredibles when we’re there. For instance, RD on EMH is just not ever going to happen- no use trying to pencil it in. And I’m not going to mend my ways entirely, either, though I will try.:grinning: