Struggling with dining at Hollywood Studios

Hi you magical people! I can’t figure out an ADR for HS. I had settled on Hollywood Brown Derby but then I found out it’s two credits. I may or may not have the dining plan - still thinking about it, and evaluating costs. It does not seem to be worth 2 credits. I have been to 50’s Prime Time (not impressed, and don’t want to go back) and Sci-Fi Diner (also not interested in doing it again). Are any of the restaurants worth going to? Also is breakfast at Hollywood and Vine better than lunch/dinner?

Based on your feelings about 50’s and Sci-Fi, I think you should try HBD. I’ve been 3 times, and enjoy it very much. Well worth the extra cost. There isn’t any better options in HS. Your other choice is leaving the park, and going to a resort for better food. Then your options increase immensely.

1 Like

That’s another thing to consider. I am planning two park days, because I want to see both night time shows, so I was thinking I should have one ADR there, but maybe we can make one of our HS days a “break in the middle of the day” days and eat at the resort.

1 Like

But then I’m afraid I might not go back… lol

The travel time from Hollywood Studios to Boardwalk is fairly reasonable. Have you considered those restaurants for a “break in the middle”?

4 Likes

No. Are there specific restaurants you would recommend? I like this idea, though.

We really like Ale and Compass at the Yacht Club for lunch or dinner. You can take the boat there and back.

2 Likes

The dinner buffet at H&V was nothing to write home about. It was solid, but not great and had it not been for the characters, I would have been very disappointed.

1 Like

All of the Epcot area resorts are fair game. You can walk or boat to any of them.
If you do NOT have the DDP, you may find that the Restaurants at Swan/Dolphin are the best quality for the price, but they do not accept DDP. I can vouch for the sushi at Kimonos, and the sandwiches at Fuel. Garden Grove is hit or miss, but it might have an interesting buffet theme, and it’s also a character meal at times. The pool bar/ restaurant also has theme nights, I believe. Picabu is quick serve/cafeteria with some really good tacos, pizzas,burgers, and roasted chicken dinners. Fountain is diner / ice cream shop style. Really good, but I find it to be a few dollars over priced for what it is. Il Mulino, Bluezoo, and Shula’s are generally regarded as best in class on property.

Me? If I were paying OOP, I’d eat at Kimonos and then walk to Ample Hills for ice cream, then head back to Hollyweird on the boat. One the cheaper side, I’d get a spread of hot sandwiches at Fuel, then make “sundaes” at their self serve froyo counter. OR, go Picabu and get a family chicken dinner - be warned, Picabu is pretty no frills / no ambiance, but it’s decent. Kimonos, however - for basic nigiri - it’s an aabsolute hidden gem, and priced right.

I’d also think about making the SW Dessert Party a dinner. Plenty of savory options for a filling dinner. The SW dessert party is a pretty good value if you like to have a few drinks, too.

2 Likes

We loved Sci Fi. We did H&V dinner and the food was fine. It was also the best character interaction of any we did (others were CP/TH breakfast and 1900PF dinner). Breakfast is hard to mess up. But HBD gets good reviews. You can also eat in the lounge without an ADR I think.

3 Likes

HBD is really, really good. But it is pricey. I don’t do the dining plan (it makes me eat too much) but I can understand concern on the 2 credits.
But it is really good. And an oasis of peace in what has become a rather human-filled HS with TSL.
SciFi is a great place for a fun meal. American diner-minus ( on quality), but totally fine. And unbeatable for the fun.

3 Likes

HS really does need to step up their dining game.

If HBD is too pricey, and the others unappealing, I would probably go to one of the Boardwalk area resorts and enjoy dining there. Lots of great restaurants to consider.

1 Like

I LOVED Il Mulino over there, too. Yum!

1 Like

i really like HBD, but I think in general most people say any 2 credit TS is not a good use of credits on dining plan

1 Like

We enjoyed HBD and are eating there again during our next trip home. It can be a bit on the high side but, I think the food/ambiance support the higher price. If using DDP, then the 2 credits makes eating there a bit more unfavorable but, imho I still think it’s worth it.

2 Likes

We weren’t wowed with HBD at all when we went in 2017. This last trip we went to Trattoria al Forno for the character breakfast and it was the best breakfast I’ve ever had at WDW. We also went to Flying Fish one night and really loved it. It’s a 2 credit as well, but so worth it!

3 Likes

FF is one of my faves. Family won’t eat there though :frowning: And it is a bit pricey/2 creds which is why I didn’t suggest it to OP.

2 Likes

You guys are all awesome!

I was having a similar struggle yesterday. I was originally going to wrap up at DHS around noon and walk to the Boardwalk, but our plans changed after our FP day so that we won’t finish at DHS until 1 or 2 pm. We decided to go in the opposite direction, so to speak. We’re just accepting that lunch will not be a delicious meal and going to ABC Commissary, which does at least have AC. It will save us a few dollars plus the time we would have spent hiking around, waiting to be seated, and eating a TS meal. We’re planning on going back to the hotel and enjoying more time at the pool instead. And then we’ll enjoy a TS meal at a nice place for dinner. (Saana for MIL and the kids, Morimoto for me and DH. Yay for a date night and thank you to MIL!) GL with your decision!

1 Like

If you really want to eat in the park and not take time to leave, we have enjoyed our meals at Mama Melrose. I wouldn’t classify it as “I can’t wait to eat there again” but we all left happy with our food choices. We are doing the F! package this trip and chose Mama Melrose again. As for the other options, I don’t like buffets and HBD is 2 credits. We also enjoyed SciFi for burgers and theming but weren’t enamored with 50’s PT. HS does need to step up their dining–nothing notable for QS either IMHO.

3 Likes