Still take mid-day break?

So, I haven’t been to Disney since pre-Covid. On that trip, we fast-passed our morning, and took a break out of the heat at the hotel (swimming, napping, laundry, whatever ). We return to the parks for dinner and bonus rides in the evening, sometimes with some fireworks.
If I want to do something similar, it sounds like I need to buy myself some genie+ most days, and get my VQ game in order. Something about ILL really rubs me the wrong way, so I’d like to skip them if possible.

Anyway, anybody else take mid-day breaks anymore? How’s that going? Any tricks for this napper?

4 Likes

DH and I are very much go early/RD then about 1 or so go back and take a nap and then get up for dinner and so on. We’ve been a few times since Covid and this is still an excellent plan.

5 Likes

We went to some of the nearby resorts for an hour to chill a few days (as well as do TS lunches) but we never go back to our resort. We also don’t stay until close. It’s really about your style - does your family nap? Are you staying to close? I don’t think G+ affects it that much. You can stack if you want. Otherwise, just come back later as you normally would. Line patterns aren’t that different.

2 Likes

Midday breaks still work whether you have genie or not. Lines will be shorter early and late.

5 Likes

We took midday breaks during our trip just before Easter. On mornings that we rope dropped early entry, we’d head back to the resort from around 1:30 to 5:30/6. It worked great for us! Got us out of the crowds and sun and also allowed us to enjoy the resort.

3 Likes

Good. I was beginning to wonder if things had changed so much that it would be hard to take a break. We were able to take breaks before and the free fast passes helped us still do all of our priorities. All of these VQs and ILLs got me worried about what we can get done in a day, whether I decide to get G+ or not.

2 Likes

I’m not usually a midday break person. Butast trip BFF had just recovered from COVID and was tired a lot. So we did rope drop, used a few LLs, nap at resort while stacking LL for evening, and back to the parks with a stack in hand. It worked great!

4 Likes

I live by the mid-day break. We EE rope-dropped and napped almost every day on my last trip :rofl:

Sometimes we might power thru until 4 pm - but we usually don’t return in the evening on those days.

I find on a very hot day a break is essential.

3 Likes

I’m another mid-day break fan! I can’t even imagine how I could function without a break to cool off and rest.

1 Like

I was in your shoes last year. We had a great (first) trip in 2019 where I had fastpasses and meals all organised - mainly 3 rides in the morning, plus maybe a bonus, then food and a break.

We returned last year and I found it more challenging - Genie+ is designed to keep you in the park and spending.

What I ended up doing: rope drop top ride to avoid ILL, then a morning Genie+ (or two). Then relax and have an mid-day & afternoon break - but you need to stack and modify to prepare the evening (which means being on your phone a lot).

2 Likes

Stacking for the evening during the break sounds like a great idea. I’m not sure I could figure out stacking, at least the rapid one, while in the park. Might make the G+ worth it.
I realize lots of my trepidation comes from not being able to practice ahead of time.

1 Like

I am also making a first trip since Jan 2020 and am planning mid day breaks. When doing my TP, it looked like the morning would still be the time to go on most rides. We have the same plan of returning later in the day. I didn’t find the G+ afternoon stack that appealing as we like a looser/slower plan for the evening (except HS). We also don’t do coasters, so that makes everything easier. I am planning to go back to hotel for swim/nap. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

Midday breaks are a must for us, especially because we park hop - we are up 10 mins before 7AM to go after for Guardians or Tron if going to those parks in the AM and taking advantage of the extra 1/2 hour as a resort guest and then start to stack up reservations for park #2 -it makes for such an easy evening and times are not hard to modify as well. We are usually done around noon and back to the resort for a nap or relaxing swim and back to the parks by 2/2:30 -of course my wife and I are in our 50s now, so we are refreshed and can stay until park closing at night every night and go back at it like that every day. 15 years ago it may have not been needed, but I especially think the FL sun effects people that aren’t used to walking 25,000+ steps so a break is a good idea. But there are places in the park to refresh too, so whatever works for you!

1 Like

Recent convert. We were always rope drop 'til close people (no young kids) but G+ all but forces a break because you cannot ride an attraction with a LL more than once. Therefore the queues are always +1hr even for a minor attraction - we had to go in school holidays. In FP+ days one could just refresh and re-ride now for us it’s s totally different strategy. Rope Drop. Out by midday or earlier depending on qs and stack LL for late afternoon/evening. I miss FP+ cos of the re-rides but we’ve just had to learn to enjoy Disney in a different way. Which is no bad thing. We are also UK based so we come less frequently for longer. Naturally other people will find their won way but yes, a midday break of some description is good.

1 Like

So, does G+ give more of an evening benefit? We’ll be park hopping after the break, so I was wondering if it is worth getting the multi-park option to use morning and evening, or if it would be better to just buy for the evening park.
Or maybe not buy it at all, but it is DD’s first trip. She needs to do all the things. There won’t be any loser LLs to throw away. Except speedway.

One thing to remember is the multi-park is the same price as just MK.

2 Likes

I think G+ can give both an “in park” benefit and a “stacking” benefit for later afternoon/evening. We successfully stacked for a HS later afternoon arrival. But we also did MK on Easter Sunday morning and got LLs for PP, BTMMR, Pirates, Dumbo, Barnstormer, the noon FOF parade, and Mickey at Town Square theatre. We were heading back to the resort for a break by 1:30 (and had also done 7DMT and TRON with ILL).

1 Like

I’d say so. We chose to mix it up though. When we knew we wouldn’t need it - we didn’t get G+ at all. Eg. Not going in that day or rope drop + pool day etc. But otherwise even if it was an intended 1 park day we still splurged. It covers you for unintended consequences - like at AK. We had both Pandora rides, Expedition Everest and the rapids down for hours. So we abandoned at lunch and went to DHS.

2 Likes