Staying at Disneyland on points

Has anyone successfully booked at one of the Disneyland DVCs at 7 months out? (I think just the Grand Californian qualifies when using resale points.)

Since we are last minute planners :nerd_face:, we were thinking about how a trip in maybe 3 years from now might work. I looked at the availability chart from dvchelp, but it looks hit or miss. We probably only want 2 nights. Just curious if anyone has successfully found such availability.

We can go the renting points route, or just stay on cash somewhere…but since we have DVC, wondered about being able to work it so we could use those to book instead.

3 Likes

I’m not DVC but know others who are. The only time any of them have been able to get VGC at 7 months was when one booked a club level with an insane amount of points. She said it was equivalent to over $12k for 3 or 4 days. Can’t remember exactly. VGC is the HARDEST to book if you don’t own there.

1 Like

I think folks are doing okay at DLHV (what’s the right acronym??)

I think anything out west is going to require flexibility in planning though - more like a “oh this is available let’s go then” than a “let’s go then, and let’s see what’s available”

1 Like

Okay. This makes sense.

I won’t plan on using my points then. I suppose if we do this, I could book something else, and if I stalk and find something, great, otherwise we are covered.

1 Like

Yeah…I don’t think that’ll work for us. :grin:

This is a good approach if you can swing the hotel cost

1 Like

Oh…and unfortunately, DLHV is not available to resale DVC owners, so that’s not an option for me.

1 Like

oh that stinks

so strictly GCV - which is fantastic and absolutely the best place to stay anyway, just super hard to get

1 Like

We were able to book 4 nights in a studio at the DLR Villas in May at 7 months out by booking one night at a time and then having them roll them all into one reservation.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s good to know. I’ll keep that in mind if/when the time comes!!!

1 Like

Which villas? The Grand Cal or Disneyland Hotel? That makes a big difference!

@ryan1 Last September, by continuous stalking, I found two consecutive nights at GCV but in two different room classes (wheelchair accessible and hearing accessible), so we had to move to a different room. It’s possible, but you can’t count on it. (We booked in August for September, I believe.)
Remember to search for accessible rooms and regular. I would never book an accessible room way out, but when you’re within a few months, I figure it’s all fair play.

DL Hotel. Sorry, I thought that’s what DLR meant.

1 Like

I think it means Disneyland Resort? So could be either one. But Ryan can’t use his resale points at Disneyland Hotel, unfortunately.

If you book right at 7 months, you might be able to get a 2-bedroom for non-holiday weeks – here is the availability for 7 months from now (11/16/24):

Source

Here is the availability chart – you can see that there are certain times of year when 7-month booking is more likely (but never guaranteed):

:frowning_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

A two bedroom at Grand Californian, eh? For just me and my wife? :grin:

3 Likes

3 years in a row for grand cal but each time we were aiming for January - which worked best for our family

Diligence and aiming to start on a higher point weekend helped for me.

Edited to say we were targeting 1 bedrooms knowing they go last

Do you mean you got a Grand Cali studio at 7 months by stalking? Or did you have to walk a reservation?

1 Like

Oh. Got it.

(Waiting for 13 more seconds)

On the computer exactly 7 months prior with atomic clock! - might be overkill but I wanted those rooms

2 Likes