Star Wars - The Void at Disney Springs

We went again on Sunday–my DS is obsessed The Void. We have not pre-purchased tickets and haven’t had a long wait. Even this past weekend when Disney Springs was crowded. Not sure that always would be the case though.

2 Likes

We went to the Void on Thursday night. We walked up and bought tickets without a wait. It was a lot of fun!

2 Likes

It’s not a hardline. They have to say that on the phone, but in person they have said they will take younger kids as long as they meet the height requirement. Or if you just tell them the kid is 10, they won’t question it.

We ended up having time to do this after a disastrous visit to TL. My soon to be 9 year-old did join us as he met the height requirements, and oh boy, did we all have a blast. Being a huge SW fanboy, I may be a bit bias, but this by far was the best “ride” experience I’ve ever had…it was even better than FOP!

1 Like

Where in DS is The Void? I would love to do this on my birthday!!! :o

Never mind! I just googled it and found out that it is near Earl of Sandwich in the Marketplace section!

Revisiting this. . . How intense/scary is the experience? See my comment above (kids plenty tall, but 11 yo can get freaked out if theming too scary and while 8 yo is fearless, she is only 8 yo). Nothing in Disney is too intense for the kids and they love every single roller coaster at Disney and Universal. That said, 11 yo doesn’t love ToT theming and both kids found The Mummy theming at Universal a bit intense. Any opinions about the VOID?

2 words
DO IT

1 Like

My husband and I went in December, and it was one of the coolest things I’ve ever done. I can’t wait to do it again in July. But it was cool because it felt very realistic, and given that creatures are breathing fire at you and storm troopers are shooting at you, it can be pretty intense. If your kid is easily scared, it’s possible they might find it frightening.

1 Like

DH, DS14, and DS11 did this on our last trip. We are big SW fans and boys love the chance for VR. That being said, they said it was incredible how it was laid out and worked (no one thought it was scary or intense but are a little older). They did feel that it was over way too fast though. They felt it should have been 5-10 min longer to really make it worth the price. FOP still holds number one spot for ride experience with Harry Potter rides coming in second.

I haven’t heard of anyone reporting that their child was afraid doing this. We did it this past summer and it was so much fun I can’t recommend it enough. The only part that I think may be intense would be near the end when you’re “fighting” darth vadar and when your “gun” stops shooting due to user error and your 19 year old has to save you. you know, theoretically. If the kids go into the experience with the mindset that it’s a “battle” I think they’ll be ok. The one thing I recommend is that you make sure the headpiece is on securely and correctly and that you can see through it clearly before entering. The employees will work with you until it’s right. My vision was a little blurry because when they wiped it clean after the previous user, it left a film on the goggles.

1 Like

Does the vest/headgear make anyone feel claustrophobic? I have some mild claustrophobia sometimes and i wonder how I would do with this. It sounds so cool and I really want to do it! But i don’t want to have a panic attack haha

We haven’t done it yet. Thinking about it for my teens for our March trip. I have 2 teens and kids 8 and 9 (almost 10) at trip time. The reviews I read said that the age limit was 10 but that it seemed like it was more the weight of the gear that made it difficult for the younger crew. Just something else to think about.

1 Like

My boys are very small for their ages. My youngest had just turned 10 when we first did the Void last summer. You are correct that the pack weight is the concern for the Void. I can say it was no problem for my just turned 10 yo son. We did it twice because they both loved it so much.

No…in fact I would say the exact opposite is the issue. Sometimes there’s too MUCH space hahah (no pun intended). My biggest “fear” for the whole thing was actually the “heights.” There’s several places where you are very “exposed” and sometimes when you’re transitioning “rooms” the “ground” will vibrate because what you see and what’s aligning with reality is in calibration. Which means it makes the look like the ground is unsteady.

The most obvious time was the initial disembark into the “station” and the catwalk began vibrating. Easiest thing to do is look up straight and walk forward.Then the one elevator ride up where you are going up several stories and I was getting vertigo, but I found if I just touched the wall behind me in reality, it solved the issue without any problem. It also helps to remind oneself that this is all on one floor and in a room.

One thing: there’s TWO friggin triggers on the gun. And they both work. Don’t make the mistake I did and accidentally hit the second one and scare yourself stupid when it goes off. :rofl:

Other than that, I recommend it whole heartedly. It is easily one of the coolest things Disney has right now and the only thing that’s kinda cheesy is that photo at the end. There’s environmental changes and even smells that really immerse you in the world. Don’t forget to check out the R2 unit! :slight_smile:

Also, at the risk of spoiling some of the story, elect someone who is bad at puzzles to “crack the code.” This will give everyone else a lot more time to shoot.

1 Like

That’s good to know. It sounds like such a fun experience.

Unrelated to the topic at hand, but my daughter was playing puzzle game on her old Nintendo DS. I happened to be next to her trying to fix a chair. Anyhow, she was reading it out, and it went something like this. “A man wants to dig a rectangular hole in the ground. So he digs one that is 1 ft wide, 2 ft. long, and 2 ft deep. But then he decides it is too small, so he decides to increase the width by 2 ft, and the length by 2 feet, and the depth by a ft. After the man was done, how much dirt did the man have left in the hole?”

She pondered this for a while, and then said, “Oh…I hate trying to figure out math.” So, I had to finally interject.

“You don’t have to do any math at all. Just read the last line again. How much dirt is in the hole?”

Lightbulb moment. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wanted to update that we did do it on our last trip and everyone loved it. DH, DS11, DD8 and me. We had a late lunch at Morimoto on a Saturday, and grabbed a reservation for an hour later while at lunch. There were some waivers you have to fill out and sign, and I stretched the truth about DD8’s age. The rule follower in me was a little stressed about it, but I figured if I didn’t it would flag her as not eligible.

When we started out and could finally see each other in the experience, DD8 was a hilariously small storm trooper. Really amazing and super funny too. The experience is really immersive. I agree with the comment above that it really wasn’t scary and the freakiest parts were “height” issues where it seemed like you were walking on narrow catwalk. At one point in time, I flipped up the visor a little and we were in a grey room and a guy was there monitoring us. Not suggesting you do that, but if you or kids need a bit of reality, that option is always there.

The equipment is a little heavy, but the experience is not that long. . . DD8 was totally fine. And, neither DD8 or DS11 found it too scary. I was a little worried about DS11 (had to coerce him into doing ToT this trip) but he was fine. We let DS11 do the code and he kept messing it up. I think because it would start while he was not looking at it because he had to move his head down to see it through the visor. We got extra shooting time while that went on for a little while. We didn’t plan it- but after the fact, I remembered what Randall1028 said and he’s totally right. Not a bad idea to put your worst puzzler on the “crack the code”.

Afterwards, they sell you a pic for an additional $10. I actually thought the price not that bad. . . we bought it.

Overall, it was great fun. Have to admit that I’m not much of a Disney Springs fan so may not go out of my way to go there just for the VOID in the future. . . .but so glad we got to experience it.

5 Likes