Star Wars Fans, Can You Help? (Only Disney related via the Star Wars connection!)

My sons and I decided a while ago that since we were going to be spending so much time at home, we would re-watch the entire Star Wars saga, or at least, Anakin’s life, from beginning to end. We started with Phantom Menace and are now onto season 6 of The Clone Wars. As I’m watching this, I’m realizing that I would really like more information on the creation of the Clone army. Does anyone know if there is a book out there the delves into the creation of the Clone army? I searched around a bit and couldn’t find anything except side stories related to the Clone Wars. I was kind of wondering if Dooku: Jedi Lost might have any information. Can anyone help me out?

1 Like

We have a friend who knows everything StarWars, has read/watched everything. I’ll ask and get back to you. My husband is a huge SW nerd but this guy makes him look like a noob.

2 Likes

That is a great question, and you’ve come to the right place! Dooku: Jedi Lost does delve a little bit into Count Dooku’s relationship with Sifo Dyas, who purportedly ordered the clone army, but doesn’t really talk about that incident (I think it might refer to it obliquely).

However, there is an arc in Season 6 of the Clone Wars that goes a little more into it. Episodes 2-3 hint at it and then 10-12 cover Yoda’s investigation into what happened. Not sure if you have gotten to these episodes yet, sparking your question, or if you just watched 2-3 and didn’t get to 10-12 where the meat of it is.

You can also read the Wookiepedia entry on Sifo Dyas if there is anything else you want to know about him or the formation of a clone army!

Spoilers

To summarize, Sifo Dyas commissioned the clone army secretly without the consent of the Jedi, and later Darth Sidious / Senator Palpatine found out about it and hijacked the army for his purposes, and ordered Sifo Dyas killed to make sure no one else ever found out.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I have seen seasons 1-6 of the Clone Wars, plus most of 7, before, but I forgot a lot of it. Today we watched episodes 1-2 of season 6 and it IS what prompted my question. Plus, I need a new book. Since we average about 5 episodes a day, I will resist the urge to read your spoilers until we are done with season 6. And I think I do really want to read that book regardless. I appreciate your feedback!

1 Like

Thank you! I definitely need a new book and this would fit my current obsession!

From the uber SW nerd - Star Wars: Darth Plagueis sets up the clone wars and Star Wars: The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster is a “Prologue” to the Clone Wars movie (Episode 2), but it won’t go super into depth about the history of the clone wars. And those books aren’t Canon anymore. The Clone Wars tv series covers a lot of the war. Not sure if there’s a new Canon book that talks about it.

3 Likes

Thank you! Personally, I was annoyed when Disney suddenly declared things weren’t canon any longer, so I will definitely check those books out. And I am addicted to Clone Wars, so I have that covered. Thank you so much and please thank the uber nerd for me as well!

1 Like

Since we’re taking Star Wars books, I just wanted to throw out there that I’m in the middle of the Darth Bane trilogy right now and it’s amazing. The author is an incredible storyteller. If you’re looking for something to read, consider those! He created the rule of two for the Sith- one master and one apprentice.

If I might recommend another trumogy, the original Thrawn series (Heir to the Empire and companion books) by Timothy Zahn is just the best.

2 Likes

Also if you’re looking for more reading, you might check out Shakespeare’s Star Wars by Ian Doescher:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00SJ91ZIU/ref=dp_st_1594747156

They’re fun re-writings of the movies written as Shakespeare would have written them.

Here is a video where Ian McDiarmid was asked to read a scene to give you an idea. Try to ignore the reverb the sound guy put on the speech:

2 Likes

Thank you! I will start compiling a list and have something to read throughout the summer!

Thank you for the suggestion. He did such an amazing job reading that! But I cannot stand reading Shakespeare. I think I would probably end up chucking the book across the room. :rofl:

1 Like

lol… Shakespeare’s not for everyone, but having seen the movies, these are easier to read than, say King Lear.

1 Like

It has taken until now for me to watch the Thunderbirds…I mean Clone Wars series on Disney+. Boy did I have the wrong opinion abut this show. I really like how they have tied Hondo Anakah from season one episode 10 into Galaxy’s Edge. I am sure there are many other things I will discover in the series that I had not context for while touring Black Spire Outpost.

1 Like

Hondo is tied into Galaxy’s Edge??? He is one of my absolute favorite characters! :heart:

I don’t take the best pictures, but here is a shot of him back in January.

2 Likes

I love it! Thanks for sharing!

And while I’m here, to all my fellow Star Wars nerds…
May the 4th Be With You!

I agree with this one. And while it is no longer considered Canon (I’m not sure if ever was, but I know Timothy Zahn had gotten Lucas’ blessing at the time it was published), for the MOST part you could believe it fit into the existing movies (between ROTJ and TFA) without changing much.

Regardless, if you can accept it won’t fit the existing movies/shows perfectly, it was a great read. I had always wished they made them into movies. :confused:

2 Likes

Pre-Disney all of the “approved” books were considered Canon. Now they are considered “Legends” - although certain parts have now been re-canonized as Legend entries join new Disney tales.

Thrawn himself is now Canon due to his appearance in Rebels and more recent books about him also by Timothy Zahn. I’m reading through the first one at an incredibly slow pace which covers Thrawn’s entry into the Empire and the early stages of his career. It’s worth a read. Zahn is one of the better author’s in the Star Wars universe.

I’d always though the original Zahn books would have been great movies to extend the universe. If only…

3 Likes

My husband and I met Zahn at Michigan Comic Con 2018 and completely geeked out with him. He is the nicest guy and repeatedly told us about how thankful he is to his readers because we are the ones who give him opportunities to write.

We also met Kevin Anderson, another Legends author, who was somewhat of an ass. Can I say that here? It’s been a while since I read the rules. Anyway, note to self, continue supporting Zahn and avoid Anderson.

3 Likes

It’s in Pinocchio so it’s Disney appropriate! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Time stamped for your convenience. :smile:)

2 Likes