Split Stays and - yes THAT subject -Tipping

I feel like we tipped $40 (if I am remembering correctly–this was almost 10 years ago though :flushed:)

2 Likes

$40 sounds good as I’m sure this profession isn’t relying on tips. But $40 seems a nice tip.

2 Likes

I feel like the cruise at that time was around $250 and it lasted several hours. Our captain was great and took us around Bay Lake before we picked a spot for the fireworks. The boat was decorated for our twins birthday along with drinks and snacks. Now I wonder if I should have tipped more. :joy:

3 Likes

Its more than 15%, I think that good! But everyone has to feel it out for themselves. I’ve tossed a benji at people before for special experiences and DH wanted to just about kill me. So now I leave it to him (but he tips well too, I’m just extra)

2 Likes

My father would remind me that in a Paris train station he had to tip a woman who sat at a desk surrounded by urinating men because I had the effrontery to walk right past her to use the actual lavatory rather than the tres elegant open air wall & trough “facility” that was free.

I may have pointed out that if more people tipped her maybe she could buy crayons to make a sign.

Oh well. Different countries, different customs.

2 Likes

Lucky for you they are all the same size. :drum::drum:

1 Like

Perhaps not quite so necessary at Disney. Unless the boat driver ( :grin: ) was extra funny, entertaining, etc.

Years ago we were on an excursion thing. The operator actually mentioned tipping him which generally causes me to not tip. Except the operator went on to say our safe journey very much depended on his expertise. Fair point. Since then I’ve often thought of how much did my safety depend on this person’s competence.

Regarding housekeeping - generally the pay is better than wait staffs’. Years ago I did housekeeping at a conference resort. Most of the time you’re spending your day cleaning clean stuff. If a housekeeping person does a better job than I expected, I’ll tip. With Disney’s current housekeeping, I’m not expecting much. I’ve pretty much quit tipping housekeeping.

So I found this listing on salary.com. This thread made me curious what bell services are actually paid by Disney. Gulp. This changes things for me. I would have thought better of Disney. But sounds like bell services is akin to restaurant waitstaff.

2 Likes

Minimum wage for tipped workers is lower because they can make a lot more from tips than from a higher hourly rate. Same is true for wait staff, etc. This is standard practice.

In the US.

1 Like

Of course, in the US. Is there any other country???

4 Likes

3 Likes

It was just a joke.

Clearly, the discussion was about a company operating in the United States, and so my “standard practice” comment was clearly referring to in the US…didn’t think clarification was necessary.

2 Likes

OK it’s Sam “talking”. Clearly he agrees with your assumption.

3 Likes

To further clarify the tipped minimum wage…there is actually a guaranteed minimum wage even for tipped workers. That is to say, if a tipped worker does not earn enough in tips to make it match the federal (or state’s) minimum wage for NON-TIPPED workers, then they must be paid at LEAST that non-tipped minimum wage.

So, if the tipped minimum wage was $3/hour, and the non-tipped minimum wage was $10/hour, then if the worker does not earn at LEAST $7/hour in tips, they must be paid the $10/hour rate.

1 Like

I was being naughty. As well you know.

6 Likes

Oh, I get it. Sam was answering my rhetorical question!

2 Likes

Just as an FYI: My experience is that while this is the law, it is not common practice for establishments to abide by this regulation in the restaurant industry. I asked about this only once in 15 years of serving and my shifts were significantly reduced after inquiring. One of the major issues with the regulation that I can see is “sidework” which is generally done before and after you are actively serving parties. You only get paid the sub-minimum wage for that work and it can take hours depending on what the actual sidework is. The difficulty with tipped work is that a worker’s income depends on the perception of the customer/guest. Many of those customers/guests have never done that work which will of course affect their perception of how worthy that worker is of a tip. Serving is rough. People are very demanding about food and drink. Customers/guests are abusive. They will yell, threaten, fondle, harass… I can only imagine how difficult it is handling people’s demands around luggage.

3 Likes

There are some new regulations put into place recently to address that “side work” issue you are referring to.

1 Like

Things are changing in that industry slowly but surely. Scheduing is another huge issue people are working on. Many cities have passed fair scheduling laws (getting called off a shift you planned to work can hit the wallet hard). With the labor market as it is, workers could be in a position to demand better of their employers. Retaliation and harrassment are such a significant part of the day-to-day and reports of harrassment in the restaurant industry skyrocketed during the pandemic. “Take of your mask so I can see your pretty face before I leave a tip”. Gross. But if you need to make rent, you feel pressured to take off that mask and smile pretty. Nobody deserves that BS.

1 Like