Split Stays and - yes THAT subject -Tipping

Fair point. I guess it also depends on how much “extra” you are tipping when there is a big mess for them to clean up. i.e., don’t tip less, but maybe don’t tip more?

I mean, you could always tip more, and if you can afford it, I would recommend tipping as generously as you can. But if you’re on a budget, you may do the math differently.

2 Likes

I usually lean heavily toward the practical “tip based on the actual work being done” and keep “tips” as a separate concept from “donations”, but I also appreciate @ninjasherrie 's points and see some opportunity where maybe I can be more mindful in some situations.

4 Likes

I always try to figure out how many Yankee dollars I will need too. It’s always hard to get small notes so I end up tipping $20 for 2 bags.

3 Likes

This happens to me, too, so don’t feel too bad! :joy: I have tried to get in the habit of going to the bank branch (downstairs from my office! :joy:) and picking up $200 of small bills before every trip. I usually end up having plenty leftover for babysitters and tooth fairies, etc. for the next 6 months.

6 Likes

I bet they love you!!!

4 Likes

Casting my vote for this option. This is my tipping for the work involved.

But if it is super busy at drop off, I will sometimes round up to a nice number to make sure my bags get taken care of. This is my tipping to try to guarantee good service (note - I find bell service at Disney always good, but YNK).

Note: DH does not agree with tipping both sides. But after I pointed out we could spare the $5-$10, he has left me alone.

Second note: I generally love bell service staff. They are some of my favorite people I interact with while traveling. Always nice, often characters. Except one guy in Yosemite Valley. He was just an jack ass. But then when he delivered our bags, DH handed him a $1 instead of $10 (by accident) and he said “no thanks dude” and handed it back. DH realized his mistake and habded him a $10 but maybe that makes us the jack asses!

4 Likes

Guilty! :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry to jump in, but we probably don’t need a whole new tip thread for this…do I need to tip the captain (is that what you call him) when we do a fireworks cruise?

3 Likes

At the start of the trip! I manage to get smaller notes when we buy stuff.

1 Like

Its been a long time since we did it, but we did tip the captain and it seemed like that was the norm.

2 Likes

When DD22 worked at a pizza place, I could always buy her tip money from her. It was great! Plenty of small bills and no need to go to the bank. I’ve also been able to get change at the front desk of the resort.

2 Likes

One of my biggest struggles is making sure I don’t mix up the small bills and the big ones.

1 Like

I have to let DH handle tipping. I throw $20s around like I’m a big deal! :joy: But I do check him, just to make sure it’s adequate. When in doubt, add to the tip. I’m about to spend $10 on a beer in Epcot that I can get at home for under $2 and around $5 for a $1.50 diet coke.

7 Likes

Have a separate clip for tip money. DH keeps his $5s and $1s separate from the higher bills when we plan on tipping a lot (like on a cruise).

4 Likes

We did tip our captain (that was years ago at this point though).

3 Likes

Yay! A tipping thread. Prepare for my very important and strident opinions. I’m not going to hold back! I will have my say!

Oh.

Damn. I got here too late.

11 Likes

My understanding is that the golden rule is this: Make sure you let everyone know what an extravagant tipper you are.

If the convention is 20%, say you tip a minimum of 30% — or 25% if the service is bad.

Casually mention how you routinely pay bellhops’ rent and put their kids through college.

Never be satisfied until the servers at the restaurants you dine at earn considerably more than you do, even if you’re a cardiac surgeon with a few hundred grand in student loans still to pay off.

Personally, I tip ten dollars a bag. With a five bag minimum, even if I don’t have any bags. And I’m currently making the lease payments on a Lexus for the captain, because he once showed me where the restrooms were by pointing and saying “over there”.

6 Likes

:joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

2 Likes

You’re too funny! But seriously, it just the way the pay system for some service workers have evolved. I don’t like it but… when in France… (ok, well when in America). I like giving tips (I’m weird). I feel like it’s an expression of “Thank you for your service, I appreciate it and feel you should receive more in payment for your services then the crap wages we all know you are given. And the tip amount directly reflects how I feel you are doing at your job compared to others.”

1 Like

Like $20? $50?