Splash Mountain boat sinks

Yuck!

Second video is longer, but has a commercial first…

3 Likes

I saw this earlier but hadn’t seen the actual video. I like how they say they were told they should have stayed in the boat

3 Likes

The person who told them that was probably on auto-pilot and is totally getting razzed by coworkers now…
That water is gross!

1 Like

That was the best part.
And when the guest said, “Look at the boat!” The CM said, “Yes I understand that but…”
But what?!

5 Likes

The CM was wrong for saying that. But as a former theme park employee I can say we are so viciously trained about evacuation procedures & doing it “by the book”. We’re told we can be fired for not doing it as trained. One of only two write ups I ever got was allowing a disabled person to exit a log flume “out of order” of the other guests there, during a walk-off, because she needed extra assistance.

It was an elderly lady with mobility issues. Her adult son, much older & “bigger” than me insisted on getting her out of the boat second. I did try to assure them it wasn’t an “emergency” situation and could he please let me do it “correctly”, but that guy wasn’t having it. Rather than start an argument I helped the lady out & then got back doing it properly. It IMHO wasn’t a big deal, but that particular Lead that day was notoriously super uptight.

3 Likes

The water may be gross, but it is not THAT deep. They were in no danger of drowning.

Had the CM NOT said something and the guest(s) got hurt, the CM would be in big time trouble. By saying to remain in the boats, the CM was covered should anything have happened to the guests (like the man who was killed some years ago when he got out and was hit by a log).

3 Likes

I mean, I’m pretty sure their heads would be above water.

And it’s a water ride. You should expect to get wet!

2 Likes

I don’t think I would have stayed in a sinking boat and probably would have gotten out as well.

5 Likes

That’s the truth, it’s “actch’ll”
Everything is “satisfactch’ll”
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!

3 Likes

Oh damn, Faceless! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Funny story. Last summer we were on Splash and they stopped it 3 times on our ride because someone had their umbrella open. And kept opening it. Because it was raining. But we were on Splash…:woman_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

Any word on why the boat sank? They reopened the ride today so I’m assuming it wasn’t a big deal, but what’s the assurance it won’t happen again? (Other than its been operating for 20 years without a similar incident.)

1 Like

Invaded by pirates from PotC.

Yo ho, yo ho…

7 Likes

I thought Ian Malcolm said that didn’t happen?

3 Likes

He just said they don’t EAT you.

4 Likes

Enjoy that song while you can, since it’s going away.

Anyway, I’d get out of the damn boat. It’s sinking and it’s not supposed to. I get that CMs are supposed to be looking out for the guests as a group, but c’mon.

Not to be given over to hyperbole, but “stay in your seats” is what they told the kids on the MV Sewol. You have to do what makes sense to you.

2 Likes

Fight or flight kicks in when you are sinking!!
I’ll let you yell at me afterward.

3 Likes

I don’t understand either the pirates reference or the MV Sewol reference in your post, but I’ll just ask about pirates for now. Are they getting rid of that song in PotC?

I think the reference was to Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

1 Like

Yes, it’s the song from Splash, which is going to be re-themed.

That was a ferry that sank and killed hundreds of South Korean teenagers, who were all told to stay downstairs in their seats/cabins. There were no evacuation efforts.

As I said, it’s hyperbole to compare it to a boat sinking at Splash, but the principle is the same. I’m not getting wet if I can get out!

3 Likes