Space Mountain Tokyo Disneyland...and a theory/rumor

My wife pointed this out to me…but Disney just released info about the re-imagining of Space Mountain at Tokyo Disneyland. Here is the info:

And here is the image of the new look…

But, I wanted to throw out a theory (perhaps rumor). So, a few years ago, there was a rumor that Disney was planning to redo Space Mountain AFTER Tron was completed and open. But, as rumors go, who knows.

But I can’t help but notice that the current design of the Space Mountain at Tokyo is almost identical to the design in MK…

Tokyo…

MK…

So, this gives me hope that the original rumor was actually true…that the work being done at Tokyo will eventually be cloned to MK. I doubt we’ll hear any confirmation of that until after Tron opens. But it seems likely. Much like Tron was a clone from Shanghai, if they can take what is done in Tokyo and translate it to MK, I think they will. SM is in serious need of an update.

3 Likes

I should point out that while the two look nearly the same, the SM at MK is significantly larger than the one at DL Tokyo. So, it isn’t like they can just copy the designs directly…but they can scale it, at least on the exterior.