Southwest--should I ever trust them again?

Pretty sure SW has serious software issues. Which for some reason they won’t/can’t admit. Maybe they signed an NDA when they paid the money and took delivery.

6 Likes

Still blaming the weather. “The weather affects us more because we’re the biggest airline.” (paraphrasing)

That doesn’t explain the disproportionate level of cancellations. Nor the problems that has lead to this. Nor why so many one-ways that used to exist now don’t./

If that was trying to have SW save face, it back fired for me. Soon as I figure out what I can do with the points on my card, I’m cancelling it.

6 Likes

A friend stuck in Cali thanks to southwest shared this on Instagram today. It’s a screenshot from a pilot on Reddit and I thought it did a good job of explaining what is happening with the software

12 Likes

Question: as the government monitors and reviews this whole thing, could they step in and potentially disallow airlines to operate without relationships to other airlines so that customers could be more easily aided in a situation like this? Southwest has no reciprocity with any other airlines, so when their customers are out, they are OUT. Whereas many of the other non-budget airlines will work with each other to rebook people.

Just wondering about potential grander-scheme consequences may come of this

6 Likes

“Business based on value and values” — doesn’t feel that way to those impacted at the moment

“Committed to going above and beyond” — I’m interested to see what this will look like for those impacted.

What a mess. They are just lucky there hasn’t been any more winter weather disruption to further screw things up

4 Likes

what I still don’t get is this was all seemingly fine right up until 2020. Up until the whole lockdown, SW had one of, if not the, best track records for on time flights and low cancellations, didn’t they?

Then suddenly the systems they have are “super antiquated” and unable to keep up in any respect. If it’s the same systems they’ve been using since 1993… that doesn’t make sense how it suddenly can’t do the job. SW hasn’t grown at all in 2 years. We’re still working with the expectation that everyone and everything is still under-staffed.

4 Likes

That’s already started to be thrown back at them. Everyone is getting a ‘credit’ and not a refund.

2 Likes

I’ve started to read talk in business reporting about an existential threat to SW over this.

2 Likes

Which is BS - I’m not sure how they expect anyone who is living through this nightmare to ever want to fly them again

And above and beyond would be not just refunding, but BEYOND that – cover some of what costs folks have endured because SW let them down so epically.

4 Likes

This doesn’t surprise me.

They have different customer service policies for things “within their control” and not “within their control”. Weather is not within their control. It’s item 12 on https://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/corporate-commitments/customer-service-plan.pdf, but if there’s a delay that’s within their control, they will feed you and make sure you have lodging. If it isn’t within their control, best of luck to you!

2 Likes

In theory, they are going to do that. But I doubt they have the manpower to devote to that branch of customer satisfaction right now. They kinda need people to rebook flights first.

1 Like

Absolutely, which is why they are blaming the weather like crazy. Otherwise they have to admit their actual failures.

4 Likes

But, that post from the pilot actually suggests the problem wasn’t the weather. It was their antiquated computer systems that management knowingly hasn’t bothered fixing. That doesn’t sound like it is the weather’s fault at all. Because if they HAD fixed the computer systems long ago, then the number of weather-related cancellations would have been minimal.

They HAVE to say it is weather related in order to get themselves off the hook. It now becomes the problem of their customers.

It increasingly bothers me how the travel industry “protects itself” by telling guests they should pay for travel insurance. There was a time when travel insurance wasn’t necessary because the companies themselves took on that obligation and did the right thing. Of course, this helps bring down overall costs for the airline and consumer…but it leaves the consumer unprotected unless they pay for travel insurance that ultimately makes it cost MORE.

3 Likes

Well yes. I didn’t mean today

Which is why I said in my original post that I’m interested to see what this will look like – meaning in the end.

Definitely priority 1 is rebooking people and getting things righted with the schedule

3 Likes

Well, you are fairly impatient.

1 Like

Fair.

Patience is something I’m learning. But I’m still not great at it.

3 Likes

That was also a time when there was a difference in experiences between flying and taking the bus.

3 Likes

Honestly, I hope the government steps in and starts requiring the airlines to payout customers for delays and cancellations like what happens in the EU today.

6 Likes

Yup, I know WHY they’re doing it…just more of a “rolling my eyes at it” response.

And what’s worse is insurance, for the most part, is racket. If you have to cancel last minute, you likely only get some your money back at best (and you have to meet their specific requirements for cancellation as well). Which, true, is better than nothing, but if I take out insurance and have to cancel, I expect it ALL back, especially if I meet their conditions.

And if you were caught in this on your return flight home, I’m not sure that even be covered because you technically went on the trip?

Same. how long does it take to learn patience?? I’m getting bored over here.

4 Likes