Southwest Flight Refund for June 2020

I posted in chat but thought some might want to see this here too. Both of our Southwest flights for our June 6-13 trip were cancelled in the last 24 hours. We were notified of one but not the other via email. Southwest automatically rescheduled both flights. According to DOT, when a flight is cancelled you have the right to a refund. I used the chat feature on the app to request a refund and within 3 minutes, I was told a refund would be honored and processed within 7-10 days. It was a very easy process. I will update here once it officially processes.

Side note: I’m not quite ready to cancel the June trip (which was a March reschedule) but having this refund is now very relieving in the event that we need to push this trip to 2021 (:sob: on the inside) as our funds would expire this December.

1 Like

Southwest is also offering free flight changes as of now within 60 days for flights from at least mid May thru 6/24, at least between STL and MCO. Maybe others can help flesh out the exact current dates and markets being offered. So, I was able to change my August flights to mid-June for less points, then change it for free to preferred flights in August.

1 Like

@I_LikeWarmHugs–thanks for sharing this. I had been okay with the travel credit but am leaning toward asking for a refund. We booked flights for June that have been cancelled/rescheduled into wildly different itineraries. And I’m fairly sure the trip won’t happen.

When you chatted, was there any resistance from Southwest?

1 Like

None at all. It only took a couple minutes. I politely asked for a refund and they pushed it through immediately.

I wish I’d seen this yesterday. Southwest sent an email about cancelling our June flight and rescheduling us, but then we decided to push the trip out later anyway. The new flights were cheaper but I really don’t want/need a $50 pp credit. That won’t get us anywhere good, LOL. If I’d known I would have asked for the refund and then booked an entirely new trip. Always check the forum first!

2 Likes

Well it wouldn’t hurt to contact them and explain that you didn’t realize that you were able to receive a refund.

2 Likes

Our June 24th flight to Orlando was “rescheduled” today. Or, I got the message today.

If I ask for a refund, will they refund the whole round trip or just the portion they rescheduled? Or coming home flight is unchanged.

I’m not really savvy about the airline industry procedures and policies.

ETA: I just checked on SWA and my return flight isn’t even listed as an option…off to do some research.

I was in the same situation except only for my outbound (however I noticed that my original returning flight was cancelled today as well) and they refunded the whole trip.

1 Like

I had to take a credit rather than a refund because I didn’t know any better when I canceled the original flight in April. That’s OK. I’ve learned some things!

1 Like

Liners are the best!!! Thanks so much for your post. My June trip flights were cancelled and I thought I was out of luck because they were Wanna Get Away flights and we purchased them in February and won’t be able to travel again until next June. I chatted with SW today and they are refunding my tickets!!! You literally saved me $1000!!! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

3 Likes

Yes, this is what happened to me. I only got an email for one of the flights but both were impacted. I was refunded both.

1 Like

You are very welcome! I don’t know when we will end up going but having this sorted out makes me feel much less stressed about it. I am glad the post helped! Yay!

2 Likes