Southwest and strollers

I was going to rent a stroller if our rental house doesn’t have one, but it dawned on me yesterday that we might be able to take our old one since we are flying Southwest. Does anyone know how this works?
We wouldn’t need it in the airport. I just want it for the parks.
It’s easily 13 years old. I’d likely just throw it out before we came home.

I was told strollers can be checked and don’t count towards your two bags. You can also take them to the gate and check them there. This is what we will do.

2 Likes

Yes you can take it! You can either check it with your checked bags or at the gate.

1 Like

You can gate check it and it does not count towards your baggage allowance at all (same with a car seat).
However, it is a pain to use a janky stroller at WDW, particularly Magic Kingdom. Depending on what kind of stroller it is (small wheels, etc.), it might be a lot easier to rent one.

1 Like

We have gate checked a stroller the last 4 or 5 times we’ve flown southwest. I recommend a stroller bag that fits your stroller. It will keep your stroller from opening up during handling and keep it cleaner (and dryer if it’s raining when luggage loads)

2 Likes

This is all helpful. Thank you.

@ljhealey (The stroller is decent enough. I use it weekly at our local park to carry towels and food and such. It’s just not something I’d need back.)

Some of the rental condos we’ve used actually had strollers left in a closet for you to use. If we had needed a stroller, that could have been helpful. So when looking at rental units, it is something to keep in mind.

1 Like

Yes!
The stroller in the garage of our Champions Gate rental actually went on our mid-rental DCL cruise with us! We’d brought our double, but didn’t want to deal with it on a cruise ship. Their fancy single one was the bomb!

Not sure how old your child is but any younger than 3 I would take the stroller to navigate around the airport, once you are near the gate you can let them out to roam and burn off energy before you board.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Your advice is excellent for young ones, for sure!
My youngest will be 6½ on our trip.
The stroller is for maximizing efficiency when touring on long days. I know that some people like to travel light, but I am more of the everything-but-the-kitchen sink type.
It just dawned on me yesterday that I could save $100 if I brought my own… (Stroller, that is; not the kitchen sink.)

2 Likes

Strollers and car seats fly free on pretty much all airlines! We always use a bag for ours and stuff the bag with diapers, toys, etc. Works great for airlines where you DO pay for luggage.

2 Likes

Well if you buy the “Kitchen Sink” at Beaches and Cream you will still have $66 left over, ooops didn’t calculate the tip!
:joy:

3 Likes

:rofl: