Something besides autographs

Bringing my 3 and 5 year old on their first trip. 5 y/o is just starting to read, but autographs still won’t mean much to him. I’m wondering about other ideas for things to do at M/G with characters that are more age appropriate. Or should I assume that they’ll probably be so shy that I will be thankful to just get a picture of them, lol. Thanks!

I think I would do a character meal towards the start of the trip with that age rather than stand in line to meet a character. If they LOVE interacting with the characters at a meal, then you can add more meet & greets to your itinerary. However, if they don’t get into the characters, are shy, or dislike meeting characters, then you will learn that early. It’s miserable to wait in line for something that ends up being a bust. Character interactions are a huge unknown for little ones! Some love them, and some actively hate them and some just don’t care.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I prefer meeting characters and actually spending the time talking or interacting with them, rather than just handing over an autograph book. Sometimes the book (and photos) are too much at the center of attention for my tastes. So I think having nothing for the characters to sign is no problem at all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My DD8 and DD6 are planning some questions that they can ask the characters… I’m encouraging something other than “please show me your ice powers!” The characters are so good at what they do that they should be able to come up with some cool answers even to questions like “what is your favorite part about being a princess” etc.

1 Like

Check out Kenny the Pirate

Lots of thought on how to find characters and what to say, great resource.

1 Like

what Sally said. We took my son when he was 2 and had lots of character meals planned cause I figured we wouldn’t have to wait in line that way – and if he didn’t like them I could always cancel.

Turns out he loved them! We spent most of our time that week waiting for charcters. At one point, we only had time for one more thing. We asked him if he wanted to go on a ride or meet a character and he chose the character. He even wanted to meet ones he didn’t know.

I would just go with the flow and with what you see makes the kid the most happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes